Unable to access one of four partitions, help desired

Old May 1st 06, 09:30 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Default Unable to access one of four partitions, help desired

Hi to all,

Starting with the subject line, I'll elaborate a bit. I have an older
system with 3 hard drives. And the problem is on the third drive. It
does not have an OS on it, only four Logical partitions in an Extended
partition. It is a Maxtor 80 GB drive, with the first 3 partitions as
FAT 16, of 2 GB each. The 4th partition is FAT 32 and makes up the
remainder of the entire 80 GB. Just to include as much information as
might be useful, these four partitions are K, L, M, and N in that
order. Although this may or may not be useful, I do utilize a Dual
boot setup on the first hard drive, one using Win98SE and the other
Win2000 Pro.

Here is the problem. Several days ago, something happened and
corrupted the L partition on this 3rd hard drive. Although this may
not be important or even factual, this corruption "seemed" to
coincide with something unusual occurring with Zone Alarm.

Both Windows see the L partition there, in the correct position, but
they show it as "inaccessible" when viewed with Explorer. Partition
Magic 8.0 shows it as Unformatted. Even though it's only 2 GB in
size, it contains all the files I downloaded over the past 10 months,
many of which I no longer know what they were. There are also many
patches I collected for other programs stored there, over a much
longer period.

Since the other three partitions are still functional, and easily
accessible - I decided to copy these over to a new 120 GB HDD which I
had recently purchased. After formatting it and partitioning it
similar to the 80 GB one (except the 4th partition was now larger than
on the 80), I copied the contents from each to its namesake on the new
one. And they are now equally accessible as on the original. Of
course the L partition is empty in both.

My goal is to find some way to recover everything on the original L
partition, and then copy these to the new one. With the new copy
available, the only thing now at risk is what's on (but inaccessible)
on the old L partition.

What suggestions can you experts out there offer me?

Thanks in advance

Olin McDaniel

Old May 1st 06, 09:48 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Olin K. McDaniel wrote:
[...]

Try Easy Recovery Pro. It aint free.

Old May 15th 06, 04:51 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

I suggest you use data recovery software such as EASEUS Data Recovery
Wizard to recover files.

Download demo version: http://www.easeus.com/download.htm

You can use "AdvancedRecovery" to scan your corrupted partition. After
the scan is complete, the lost file will be displayed in Data Recovery
Wizard, you can select them and recover them.