Clean install of Win 10 ?

Old November 14th 18, 07:47 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Char Jackson

Default Clean install of Win 10 ?

On Tue, 13 Nov 2018 19:38:05 -0800 (PST), Davej
wrote:

On Tuesday, November 13, 2018 at 4:48:51 PM UTC-6, Paul wrote:
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
Are you sure that only the MAC address is used?

I was attempting to use the hardware identifier with
the most weight, as a simplified example of how it
works.

The alternate term I use "hardware hash", I'm not
even sure of the mechanical details, and how
big of a packet or table is sent.

See now, that only makes sense to identify an exact
configuration. That is part of what has had me confused. A
hash is not the correct thing to use in this situation,
because a hash changes dramatically if even one bit of
the input changes.

Agreed, they almost certainly do NOT use a hash, in the common meaning
of that word. They have the disk space to be able to store the actual
values that they collect**, and by having the actual values versus a
hash, they can then see when some things remain the same even while
other things have changed. As you say above, a hash would be limited to
a boolean decision - the hash either matches or it doesn't. By
collecting and storing the individual data elements, they can be
properly weighted so that, perhaps, more weight is given to the NIC MAC.
Obviously, they can't use only the NIC MAC or we'd all simply clone that
MAC address and get free activation.

**Regarding what specific info that they collect, I've never seen an
authoritative answer to that question, but I agree with Paul that it's
most likely things like NIC MAC, CPU ID, HDD SN, etc.

To get an idea of what all they can collect, take a look at the file
gatherNetworkInfo.vbs in System32. That script is an example of how to
collect WAY more than just network info. I'm not saying they use that
exact script, but probably something similar. For fun, copy that script
to a new folder and run it, then check the output. There's lots of good
info in there.

Old November 14th 18, 10:58 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

On Wednesday, November 14, 2018 at 3:55:33 AM UTC+8, Paul wrote:

If you never paid for Windows 10, then the following
"generic, useless" license keys are provided. I'm quite used
to seeing 3V66T for example. If you enter these in a license
key box, the OS will laugh at you. That's because all the
upgrade machines (7,8.1==10) use these. If you *buy*
a license, then you get a unique key.

VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T (Windows 10 Professional)
YTMG3-N6DKC-DKB77-7M9GH-8HVX7 (Windows 10 Home - multi language)
BT79Q-G7N6G-PGBYW-4YWX6-6F4BT (Windows 10 Home - single language)

Yesterday, I tried some keyfinders. One was a Lenovo, almost new, never
fiddled with.
Belarc Adviser and Licence Crawler both report a different key to what
showkey.vbs does. Belarc had a note this may be the key embedded in BIOS.

Also tried on a hard drive pulled from a fried PC. I believe it was upgraded
from Win7 to Win10.
Belarc say "key none activated" which I presume meant a digital licence.
But Licence Crawler displayed the useless default product key (3V66T)
But showkey.vbs gave a different key.
Old November 14th 18, 11:42 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

wrote:
[...]

There is at least one key finder that will find
the previous key. I don't collect keyfinders so
you'll have to vet/test this for me :-)

https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/det...owkeyplus.html

Paul

Clean Install raindrop Gateway Computers 0 July 30th 10 11:47 PM
clean install Tony Pacc Dell Computers 9 January 21st 07 04:27 PM
Clean install KEN Gateway Computers 17 December 19th 06 09:26 PM
clean install - cannot connect ? Cynthia G Dell Computers 24 October 29th 04 12:44 PM
How to do Clean Install Spike9458 Dell Computers 6 December 27th 03 01:41 PM