A Dying Radeon 9800 pro , will they RMA ? Zalman fan added ?

Old December 31st 04, 05:11 PM
Andrew Fry

Default A Dying Radeon 9800 pro , will they RMA ? Zalman fan added ?

I bought a Radeon 9800pro 256mb 256bit Card on ebay a few months ago ,all
been fine until Christmas eve when I suddenly noticed screen curruption ,I
rebooted and was freeked out to see bios screen curruption. Now this card
has been fitted with a Zalman heatsink and fan ,I replaced the original fan
and added new thermal paste ,no change.
So whats my chances of getting a repair under warranty? its a built by ATI
model so there is a 3 year warrenty. Will they notice the fans been messed
about with ? Will they reapir it for a low fixed fee? Will they have
sympathy as Ive just replaced it with a 9600se ???? Any help or advice
would be great ,thanks ,Andrew.

Old December 31st 04, 05:14 PM
Noozer

"Andrew Fry" wrote in message
I bought a Radeon 9800pro 256mb 256bit Card on ebay a few months ago ,all
been fine until Christmas eve when I suddenly noticed screen curruption ,I
rebooted and was freeked out to see bios screen curruption. Now this card
has been fitted with a Zalman heatsink and fan ,I replaced the original

fan
and added new thermal paste ,no change.
So whats my chances of getting a repair under warranty?

Do you have your reciept to prove you bought from a valid reseller? Nope...
no warranty.

Are there any mods to the card? Yup... no warranty.

Why do you buy something on eBay and then actually expect to get a
warranty???

Old December 31st 04, 05:22 PM
Andrew Fry

"Noozer" wrote in message

"Andrew Fry" wrote in message
I bought a Radeon 9800pro 256mb 256bit Card on ebay a few months ago ,all
been fine until Christmas eve when I suddenly noticed screen curruption
,I
rebooted and was freeked out to see bios screen curruption. Now this card
has been fitted with a Zalman heatsink and fan ,I replaced the original

fan
and added new thermal paste ,no change.
So whats my chances of getting a repair under warranty?

Do you have your reciept to prove you bought from a valid reseller?
Nope...
no warranty.

Are there any mods to the card? Yup... no warranty.

Why do you buy something on eBay and then actually expect to get a
warranty???

I thank you for your reply ,but you dont need a reciept to rma an item as
long as you have a serial number

thats all you need. Also second hand item do still carry a warranty . Hands
up on the modding thing ,although
im sure this is totally unrelated to the fault.

Old December 31st 04, 05:49 PM
Bubble Head

Try reattaching the fan. I've RMA'd 2 9800pro's after using arctic coolers
on them. I held on to the old fan and put it back on and the sent it back.
ATI replaced both of them.

Old December 31st 04, 11:04 PM
Martijn Saly

Andrew Fry wrote:
I bought a Radeon 9800pro 256mb 256bit Card on ebay a few months ago ,all
been fine until Christmas eve when I suddenly noticed screen curruption ,I
rebooted and was freeked out to see bios screen curruption. Now this card
has been fitted with a Zalman heatsink and fan ,I replaced the original fan
and added new thermal paste ,no change.
So whats my chances of getting a repair under warranty? its a built by ATI
model so there is a 3 year warrenty. Will they notice the fans been messed
about with ? Will they reapir it for a low fixed fee? Will they have
sympathy as Ive just replaced it with a 9600se ???? Any help or advice
would be great ,thanks ,Andrew.

You should be able to get RMA if you have (a copy of) the original receipt
or invoice. Replacing the cooler /should/ not be a problem. I mean, you may
replace the cooler of your CPU, too

--
Thanks,

Martijn Saly
Old January 1st 05, 04:55 AM
Conor

In article Andrew Fry says...

I thank you for your reply ,but you dont need a reciept to rma an item as
long as you have a serial number
thats all you need. Also second hand item do still carry a warranty . Hands
up on the modding thing ,although
im sure this is totally unrelated to the fault.

I'm absolutely 100% sure it IS related to the fault. Screen corruption
like that is caused by the GPU OVERHEATING. Either the Zallman isn't up
to the job, you used too much thermal paste or it wasn't attached
properly.

Either way, you've no chance.

--
Conor

-- George Patton
Old January 1st 05, 10:32 AM
SL

not if you also claim about their faulty fan that came with it............

"It will probably fall off the card while shipping" is what you say while
getting your RMA. A little on the dishonest side maybe, but they make the
good money anyways. If you feel guilty about it, you can always think of it
like this:

New trainee at Ati gets your card. He opens the package, and your note
confirming your RMA and the fan fall out. He yells to his supervisor and
they both take a look. Now the supervisor see's the fact he will have to
earn his money today. So he starts his first stages of investigation. He
scratches his receeding hairline. Then he gives up and tells the trainee to
"go by the troubleshooting checklist". Or, they say "F--K it" and ship the
parts to India where they strip the memory and gold out of it for .23$

End result:
Boss feels better for dictating authority
You feel a little better as your are getting a new card and all
CircuitCity/Bestbuy etc... already make serious bank on your rebate cash
Your wife/girlfriend/dog all get you back as you are not on the pc...
The retailer gets to get their money back as well (they dont do the
warranty/repair stuff)
The guy at circuit city got his 2% commission on top of his blistering
8.95/hr $ kissing his managers and your buttox

The only guy that gets hurt after all is said and done, is the new tech. He
had better make it work or his new BMW payment is in jeopardy, a.k.a. "Your
Fired!" and he feels stupid after all that school he paid for. And, he
will look bad trying to guess how the H--L your fan fell completely off the
die?

2 weeks later you find all of this was to play Doom 3 with a decent
framerate. Isnt that what this whole conversation is "really" about?!

Im aloud to mess with circuit city. They witheld 2,000$ of mine over the
Xmas holidays years ago. I worked for their (at that time) Carmax. They
treat employees (C.C.) like peasants that actually help run their company.
You can only imagine the view they have on the customer. Not what you see
on the commercials. Sorry....I was venting.

good luck,

SL

Old January 2nd 05, 12:01 AM
Gordon Scott

Andrew Fry wrote:

I bought a Radeon 9800pro 256mb 256bit Card on ebay a few months ago ,all
been fine until Christmas eve when I suddenly noticed screen curruption ,I
rebooted and was freeked out to see bios screen curruption. Now this card
has been fitted with a Zalman heatsink and fan ,I replaced the original fan
and added new thermal paste ,no change.
So whats my chances of getting a repair under warranty? its a built by ATI
model so there is a 3 year warrenty. Will they notice the fans been messed
about with ? Will they reapir it for a low fixed fee? Will they have
sympathy as Ive just replaced it with a 9600se ???? Any help or advice
would be great ,thanks ,Andrew.

call ATI's rma #, have the card in hand to give the serial #, ask them to
send you a new fan, cause yours is dying, it will arrive in 3 days.
Old January 2nd 05, 04:51 PM
HockeyTownUSA

"Conor" wrote in message
. ..
In article Andrew Fry says...

I thank you for your reply ,but you dont need a reciept to rma an item as
long as you have a serial number
thats all you need. Also second hand item do still carry a warranty .
Hands
up on the modding thing ,although
im sure this is totally unrelated to the fault.

I'm absolutely 100% sure it IS related to the fault. Screen corruption
like that is caused by the GPU OVERHEATING. Either the Zallman isn't up
to the job, you used too much thermal paste or it wasn't attached
properly.

Either way, you've no chance.

--
Conor

-- George Patton

Either way, you can't read. He said he had the corruption with stock
heatsink/fan, so tried the Zalman, and no change...