Build your own PC resources

Old December 12th 04, 04:53 PM
Abso

Default Build your own PC resources

Could anyone recommend to me a good place to start researching current
PC componentry with a view to planning the build of a new PC?

I'm not saying Johannes convinced me with his "build a new PC and
network the two" comments when I asked here recently about upgrading my
old Dell, but let's say I'm wavering )

Yes, there's Google and it certainly returns a wealth of hits on "build
your own PC", but that's the problem - too many sites and many out of
date. The first two I tried were discussing AT / ATX, DIMMS vs SIMMS
and even mentioning 5.25" floppy drives!

That's why I'd like to find a *useful* site by recommendation. One
that's current and will review and compare the latest hardware. I
could also consider buying a magazine but in the past I've found them
to be full of "how do I write a letter in Word" type articles, ie.
pitched at the complete newbie level.

I'd appreciate your advice.

--
Abso
Old December 13th 04, 08:57 AM
Gama Chameleon

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 01:02:14 +0000, Bill Payer wrote:

On 12 Dec 2004 16:53:46 GMT, "Abso" wrote:

Could anyone recommend to me a good place to start researching current
PC componentry with a view to planning the build of a new PC?

You could try ..

http://www.tomshardware.com/

AOL to that. Although take some of the reviews with a pinch of salt.
Some reviews in the past were a bit silly such as with motherboards
trouncing others with a 2% faster performance (like you would notice).
There is also the burning AMD processor debarcle from their web site
too.

Its a good place to start though.
--
Gamma gamma gamma chameleon
You come and glow, you come and glow.
Old December 13th 04, 08:22 PM
Abso

Bill Payer wrote:

On 12 Dec 2004 16:53:46 GMT, "Abso" wrote:

Could anyone recommend to me a good place to start researching
current PC componentry with a view to planning the build of a new
PC?

You could try ..

http://www.tomshardware.com/

Thanks very much for that. I'll have a read.
Old December 14th 04, 07:09 PM
Black Shuck

On 12/12/2004 16:53 Abso got up from the bar and shouted..:
[...]

also: uk.comp.homebuilt

--
"This dog don't give a feck..."
Old December 18th 04, 02:53 PM
Johannes H Andersen

Abso wrote:

Could anyone recommend to me a good place to start researching current
PC componentry with a view to planning the build of a new PC?

I'm not saying Johannes convinced me with his "build a new PC and
network the two" comments when I asked here recently about upgrading my
old Dell, but let's say I'm wavering )

Somebody is reading my posts :-)

Yes, there's Google and it certainly returns a wealth of hits on "build
your own PC", but that's the problem - too many sites and many out of
date. The first two I tried were discussing AT / ATX, DIMMS vs SIMMS
and even mentioning 5.25" floppy drives!

That's why I'd like to find a *useful* site by recommendation. One
that's current and will review and compare the latest hardware. I
could also consider buying a magazine but in the past I've found them
to be full of "how do I write a letter in Word" type articles, ie.
pitched at the complete newbie level.

I'd appreciate your advice.

Choosing components is confusing at this particular time. The field is
in transition with a lot of uncertainty. I like my P4 system (build in
July), though most of it is already obsolete. The tried and tested
standards are being replaced with the new and not so tried and tested.
PCI is becoming PCI-Express which will make AGP redundant. DDR memory
is being replaced with DDR2, although I understand that they will have
greater latencies and not worth while unless much higher rate than DDR.
AMD64 socket 939 seems to be in the running at the moment, but then
we've just seen desktop boards for Pentium M (Centrino), that's very
interesting. ATX may or may not be replaced by BTX. And so on...

Anyway, if you want to splash out on some decent info, then I can
warmly recommend the book (tomb) by Scott Mueller 'Upgrading and
repairing PC's). This guy knows his stuff.
Old December 18th 04, 05:54 PM
Abso

Johannes H Andersen wrote:

Abso wrote:

Could anyone recommend to me a good place to start researching
current PC componentry with a view to planning the build of a new
PC?

I'm not saying Johannes convinced me with his "build a new PC and
network the two" comments when I asked here recently about
upgrading my old Dell, but let's say I'm wavering )

Somebody is reading my posts :-)

I've had trouble getting the killfile in this newsreader to work, so it
seems I have no option just now.. ;o)

[...]

I suppose this is always going to be a problem if one is to buy the
latest offerings on the market - you can't predict whether the latest
innovation will become ubiquitous or turn out to be an obsolete turkey
like my lovely RAMBUS RDRAM in my Dell.

Anyway, if you want to splash out on some decent info, then I can
warmly recommend the book (tomb) by Scott Mueller 'Upgrading and
repairing PC's). This guy knows his stuff.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

--
Abso
Old December 21st 04, 03:30 PM
Rob S

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 14:53:17 GMT, Johannes H Andersen
wrote:

-Anyway, if you want to splash out on some decent info, then I can
-warmly recommend the book (tomb) by Scott Mueller 'Upgrading and
-repairing PC's). This guy knows his stuff.

Blimey is he still going? I bought what must be edition 1 of that before I built
my first XT compatible. Fantastic stuff, made a man of me, etc
-Rob
robatwork at mail dot com
Old December 24th 04, 12:22 PM
Johannes H Andersen

wrote:

-Anyway, if you want to splash out on some decent info, then I can
-warmly recommend the book (tomb) by Scott Mueller 'Upgrading and
-repairing PC's). This guy knows his stuff.

Blimey is he still going? I bought what must be edition 1 of that before I built
my first XT compatible. Fantastic stuff, made a man of me, etc
-Rob
robatwork at mail dot com

I have ed. 14, it includes a nice DVD where SM demonstrates how to fry
CPUs. (Skip the movie software install and use your own). I think it'
now Ed. 16. Yes, there are also lots of historic stuff and some thoughts
about the wintel industry.
Old December 29th 04, 02:56 PM
Rob S

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 12:22:55 GMT, Johannes H Andersen
wrote:

-I have ed. 14, it includes a nice DVD where SM demonstrates how to fry
-CPUs. (Skip the movie software install and use your own). I think it'
-now Ed. 16. Yes, there are also lots of historic stuff and some thoughts
-about the wintel industry.

ISA cards, Interrupts, EGA, jumpers (for goalposts), ahhhhhhhh

-Rob
robatwork at mail dot com