Best P4 mobo ubder $130-150

Old October 8th 04, 06:08 PM
Glitch

The OTHER Kevin in San Diego wrote:

Prescott CPU or a 2.4 800??

Crucial RAM still good for overclocking?

My suggestion would be to get a Northwood rather than a Prescott 'cause
they generate less heat,run faster than any Prescott up to a 3.4 GHz and
OC way better.I'd also recomend you go with a 2.8 rather than a
2.4,'cause they're both pretty cheap now and it's not that big of a
price difference.
Kingmax,OCZ and Corsair RAM are the best for OCing.
Old October 8th 04, 11:06 PM
Glitch

The OTHER Kevin in San Diego wrote:

How do I determine the diff between the Northwood and the Prescott?
(LIke Is aid, I've been out of this OC thing for a couple years and
quite a lot has changed)

Any suggestions for heatsink? I've got a bunch of 80mm Delta fans so
I'm set there. Alpha still the "king of the hill" in heatsinks??

Thx!

Northwood has 512 Kb Cache and Prescott has 1 Mb Cache.Both have 800 MHz
FSB .
The reason why Prescott is slower than the older Northwood is because at
slow frequencies(everything up to 3.4 GHz) Prescott's very long
pipelines aren't able to 'fill' up fast.Northwoods have shorter
pipelines and are able to 'fill' up faster.At higher frequencies
Prescott takes the lead.

I can't tell you anything on heatsinks 'cause I don't use them.I use
silent case fans and that's it.My 2.8 Nothwood is fitted with a Zalman
7000 Al-CU and my Radeon 9700 PRO has the VGA Silencer.
Old October 9th 04, 01:00 AM
Wayne Youngman

I'm still torn between theAsus P4P800 and the Abit AI7 tho..

Hi,

I have two AI7's, very nice boards. Add a Northwood CPU of your choice (I
suggest a 2.8GHz) and 1GB (2x512) of Crucial *Ballistix* PC3200 and you will
love it!

My 2.8GHz is running at 3.5GHz (250MHz-FSB) and my *Ballistix* PC3200 is
running at 250MHz 1:1 (DDR500 - PC4000!).

If you got some spare change after that pick up a ThermalRight SP-94 to keep
the CPU cool, mine is 30°C idle and 42°C under load :P

The AI7 + 2.8GHz Northwood + *Ballistix* PC3200 all work together
*extremely* well!

Oh don't forget a good PSU (480w +)
--
Wayne ][

Old October 10th 04, 12:55 AM
Wayne Youngman

"The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" wrote
Any particular CPU I should be looking for? (Malay etc?)

Hi,

If you can find a 2.8GHz m0 stepping (30 caps) you should be away. I think
all 2.8Ghz now may be m0 stepping?

This was the first CPU I owned that overclocked using stock vCore

Feel free to choose your spec, but I just wanted to tell ya that the
hardware I mentioned works really well with *minimum* effort!

Of course when it comes to overclocking CPU's you may get a *lousy*
overclocker!
--
Wayne ][

Old November 1st 04, 03:14 PM
Bob Snelgrove

I'm looking for this same combo with the good (m0) stepping 2.8. If anyone
knows where to find it, please let me know!

thx

bob

"The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" skiddz *AT* adelphia *DOT* net wrote in
message ...
On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 00:55:22 +0100, "Wayne Youngman"
wrote:

"The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" wrote
Any particular CPU I should be looking for? (Malay etc?)

Hi,

If you can find a 2.8GHz m0 stepping (30 caps) you should be away. I

think
all 2.8Ghz now may be m0 stepping?

I'll try and spec that one as I shop.

This was the first CPU I owned that overclocked using stock vCore

Feel free to choose your spec, but I just wanted to tell ya that the
hardware I mentioned works really well with *minimum* effort!

I think I've pretty much decided on the AI7 and the 2.8 CPU.. That
Ballistix memory is pretty pricey and if I opt for a gig, I'm going to
be pushing the $600 mark.

Of course when it comes to overclocking CPU's you may get a *lousy*
overclocker!

My 1st OC attempt with the veneralble C300a was a "copy" of another
ACHO visitor's rig, with the exception of the memory. 450Mhz right
outta the box and I managed to get it to 504 after a few week's
tinkering. The Bx6-2 board that I started with is currently running
an OC'd Celeron at 850MHz and has been bulletproof for years.

Same with the BP6 running two C366s @ 550. Except for some Highpoint
IDE controller issues, that one was a snap to build up as well.

This machine has been good up until very recently. I think I waited
too long on the bulging caps replacement (Abit BF6, P3 1000 100FSB
@1330Mhz) and the voltage fluctuations fragged something else. The
last two PCI slots don't seem to get any power and I've subsequently
lost my sound.

Oh well, 1.3GHz is too slow these days anyways.

Thanks again for the poop..

Old November 1st 04, 03:19 PM
Bob Snelgrove

I've also been away for a few years How can I tell the stepping (m0) if
I'm buying mail order?

thx

bob

Old November 1st 04, 04:25 PM
Wayne Youngman

"Bob Snelgrove" wrote
I've also been away for a few years How can I tell the stepping (m0)
if
I'm buying mail order?

Hi,

It would have *SL6Z5 * on the end of its boxed product code.

http://www.3dgameman.com/forums/show...threadid=23398

http://processorfinder.intel.com/scr...sp?sSpec=SL6Z5

Wayne ][

Old November 2nd 04, 10:25 PM
Alexander Ferrari

Best Mobo anyway is the asus p5ad2 premium

Strange mobo ID Zotin Khuma General 3 December 21st 04 06:46 PM
Weird Mobo Problem... Grativo General 7 April 17th 04 07:17 PM
What can I do about my dead mobo? Zenobia General 3 January 5th 04 09:30 PM
How to connect front audio ports to mobo *Vanguard* General 5 December 17th 03 09:35 PM
New mobo - comp still won't boot Cyde Weys General 5 July 7th 03 07:49 PM