GeForce4 driver and XP ServicePack 2 seems to conflict

Old February 13th 05, 09:17 AM
Henrik Rasmussen

Default GeForce4 driver and XP ServicePack 2 seems to conflict

I have a problem with with GeForce4 MX 440 on a pc running Windows XP. After
installing ServicePack 2 the screen "dies" (going in to sleep mode as if the
computer is off) after being on some time in the startup process. The screen
doesnt come back on by resetting the computer. I have to power it off and
then back on. Again after some startup time (haven't logged in yet), the
screen goes off.

If I install Windows XP and Servicepack 2 without the GeForce4 driver
version 66.93, the computer uses Windows' own driver and seems to work fine
but, then of cause I haven't got the nView features.

Installing the Geforce4 driver together with the Servicepack 2 (either
before or after the Servicepack 2) results in this problem.

So it seems that I have a conflict somewhere.

Does anyone know a solution to this?

Regards Henrik

Old February 13th 05, 09:49 AM
Sharanga Dayananda

Henrik Rasmussen wrote:
I have a problem with with GeForce4 MX 440 on a pc running Windows XP. After
installing ServicePack 2 the screen "dies" (going in to sleep mode as if the
computer is off) after being on some time in the startup process. The screen
doesnt come back on by resetting the computer. I have to power it off and
then back on. Again after some startup time (haven't logged in yet), the
screen goes off.

If I install Windows XP and Servicepack 2 without the GeForce4 driver
version 66.93, the computer uses Windows' own driver and seems to work fine
but, then of cause I haven't got the nView features.

Installing the Geforce4 driver together with the Servicepack 2 (either
before or after the Servicepack 2) results in this problem.

So it seems that I have a conflict somewhere.

Does anyone know a solution to this?

Regards Henrik

Check to make sure that the display hasn't switched to the secondary
display (i.e. yer second monitor or TV).
Old February 13th 05, 11:42 AM
Henrik Rasmussen

Thanks. No other screen is attached, and normally it doesn't switch to
another screen without one.

It turns out that it has nothing to do with Servicepack 2 since it turns out
the problem still exist without it. Now I've installed the GeForce4 driver
version 53.x with works for a while, but when clicking maps etc. the screen
goes in sleep mode again.

Do you have any other suggestions.

Henrik

Old February 13th 05, 12:58 PM
Sharanga Dayananda

Henrik Rasmussen wrote:

[...]

Have you got a different refresh rate defined for the card through
nVidia's display applet instead of the bog standard monitors tab in the
advanced display settings panel?
Old February 13th 05, 01:18 PM
Browser Joe

Henrik Rasmussen wrote:
Thanks. No other screen is attached, and normally it doesn't switch to
another screen without one.

It turns out that it has nothing to do with Servicepack 2 since it turns out
the problem still exist without it. Now I've installed the GeForce4 driver
version 53.x with works for a while, but when clicking maps etc. the screen
goes in sleep mode again.

Do you have any other suggestions.

Henrik

Try reseating your card, and tightening up the cable on both ends. I'm
running sp2 with 66.93 without any problems whatsoever. My vid card had
strange bootup problems until I cleaned the contacts on the card and
reseated it, been bullet-proof ever since.

Hope it helps.

Old February 13th 05, 03:21 PM
Henrik Rasmussen

Thanks. We just tried that and so far the fault hasen't shown, though to
investigate we uninstalled the GeForce4 driver, so that might or might not
be the reason for not seeing the fault right now.

Henrik

Old February 13th 05, 03:24 PM
Henrik Rasmussen

No, we haven't changed the refresh rate. It's just the default configuration
except that we changed the resolution to 1024x768.

Old February 13th 05, 03:37 PM
Browser Joe

Henrik Rasmussen wrote:

Thanks. No other screen is attached, and normally it doesn't switch to
another screen without one.

It turns out that it has nothing to do with Servicepack 2 since it turns

out

the problem still exist without it. Now I've installed the GeForce4

driver

version 53.x with works for a while, but when clicking maps etc. the

screen

goes in sleep mode again.

Do you have any other suggestions.

Henrik

Try reseating your card, and tightening up the cable on both ends. I'm
running sp2 with 66.93 without any problems whatsoever. My vid card had
strange bootup problems until I cleaned the contacts on the card and
reseated it, been bullet-proof ever since.

Hope it helps.

Before re-installing the drivers, I recommend you clean the old stuff
out. Windows uninstall doesn't do a thorough job. Click on this link to
get a good driver cleaner.

You may see old stuff in there that you haven't used in a while! After
cleaning it up, try installing the drivers again, start with 51.xx, to
see if that helps.