Unknown CPU type

Old June 29th 04, 11:05 AM
007dust

Default Unknown CPU type

I bought an AMD 2400 XP 266 FSB off of Pricewatch.com. It was
supposed to be new but i noticed right away that it is most likey a
pull. I got a good deal on it so i'm fine with that. It works fine,
(although i can't tell much difference at all between it and the 1.4
Gig it replaced) My only concern is that it is listed as an Unknown
CPU type - 2.0 Ghz. I am positive this is a genuine AMD chip. All the
correct markings are on it.
So why would i be getting this type of response from the cpu? Windows
and Bios both say unknown. :?
Anybody out there have any ideas? I'd like to know what overclocking
options might be available to me too.
Any help is appreciated.

==============
Old June 29th 04, 11:05 AM
Kill Bill

"007dust" wrote in message
I bought an AMD 2400 XP 266 FSB off of Pricewatch.com. It was
supposed to be new but i noticed right away that it is most likey a
pull. I got a good deal on it so i'm fine with that. It works fine,
(although i can't tell much difference at all between it and the 1.4
Gig it replaced) My only concern is that it is listed as an Unknown
CPU type - 2.0 Ghz. I am positive this is a genuine AMD chip. All the
correct markings are on it.
So why would i be getting this type of response from the cpu? Windows
and Bios both say unknown. :?
Anybody out there have any ideas? I'd like to know what overclocking
options might be available to me too.
Any help is appreciated.

Usually the indication of a "mobile" cpu. Or you just need a BIOS update.

Old June 29th 04, 12:17 PM
Apollo

007dust wrote:
I bought an AMD 2400 XP 266 FSB off of Pricewatch.com. It was
supposed to be new but i noticed right away that it is most likey a
pull. I got a good deal on it so i'm fine with that. It works fine,
(although i can't tell much difference at all between it and the 1.4
Gig it replaced) My only concern is that it is listed as an Unknown
CPU type - 2.0 Ghz. I am positive this is a genuine AMD chip. All the
correct markings are on it.
So why would i be getting this type of response from the cpu? Windows
and Bios both say unknown. :?
Anybody out there have any ideas? I'd like to know what overclocking
options might be available to me too.
Any help is appreciated.

What does wcpuid http://www.webattack.com/get/wcpuid.shtml
say it is? I agree with Bill that it's either a mobile or your bios could
use an update.

If it's a mobile they ususally o/c quite well, but a lot depends on your
other kit - memory, psu, mobo etc. I have the 1.35v / 35w mobile 2400 and
it o/cs very well :-)

--
Ian

Old June 29th 04, 09:09 PM
David Maynard

007dust wrote:

I bought an AMD 2400 XP 266 FSB off of Pricewatch.com. It was
supposed to be new but i noticed right away that it is most likey a
pull. I got a good deal on it so i'm fine with that. It works fine,
(although i can't tell much difference at all between it and the 1.4
Gig it replaced) My only concern is that it is listed as an Unknown
CPU type - 2.0 Ghz. I am positive this is a genuine AMD chip. All the
correct markings are on it.
So why would i be getting this type of response from the cpu? Windows
and Bios both say unknown. :?
Anybody out there have any ideas? I'd like to know what overclocking
options might be available to me too.
Any help is appreciated.

==============

You should have posted what motherboard you're plugging it into but, odds
are, it was probably made before that speed was available so it doesn't
'know' about them. A BIOS update would probably 'inform' it of the newer types.

As for 'telling the difference', there's more to the 'feel' of a system
than just the CPU and, for typical use, the speed of the hard drive will
have as much, if not more, impact because people sense program load times
more than anything else. If you're a gamer and your display card is running
full tilt then more processor power won't help much, etc.

It should be a bit more obvious if you try something CPU intensive, that's
not excessively constrained by something else, like video encoding.

Old June 29th 04, 09:19 PM
Wes Newell

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 06:05:32 -0400, 007dust wrote:

I bought an AMD 2400 XP 266 FSB off of Pricewatch.com. It was
supposed to be new but i noticed right away that it is most likey a
pull. I got a good deal on it so i'm fine with that. It works fine,
(although i can't tell much difference at all between it and the 1.4
Gig it replaced) My only concern is that it is listed as an Unknown
CPU type - 2.0 Ghz. I am positive this is a genuine AMD chip. All the
correct markings are on it.
So why would i be getting this type of response from the cpu? Windows
and Bios both say unknown. :?

As they should. Your bios doesn't know what the model number is for this
speed cpu, so it reports Unknown. It's just cosmetics and has absolutely
no effect on performance. A bios upgrade may give you right info. Then
again, it might not, depending on what board you have. In any case, it's
not a true problem.

Anybody out there have any ideas? I'd like to know what overclocking
options might be available to me too. Any help is appreciated.

There's only 2 things that set cpu core speed. Multiplier x FSB clock =
CPU speed. Many things can affect success though. Vcore, ram, etc., etc.
Without know ing what MB you have, no one can help much except give you
these basics. See link below for more general info.

Old June 29th 04, 09:58 PM
David Maynard

Wes Newell wrote:

[...]

That is probably true in his case but it is not universally correct as the
BIOS also set's up various processor registers and if it is unaware of what
the processor needs it may not initialize it properly; which can cause it
to run slow, or not at all.

Old June 29th 04, 10:14 PM
AndrewJ

It's just cosmetics and has absolutely
no effect on performance

Ahhhhh, but Sandra docks you 30 points for that. The OP is lucky
though, as others point out it is a mobile chip and they are OC
monsters.

-----------------------
All lower case to respond by mail.
If you give a little they give a lot
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/disco
Old June 30th 04, 04:23 AM
David Maynard

AndrewJ wrote:

It's just cosmetics and has absolutely
no effect on performance

Ahhhhh, but Sandra docks you 30 points for that. The OP is lucky
though, as others point out it is a mobile chip

Well, it 'might' be a mobile but it's by no means 'for sure' as a 266 MHz
FSB XP 2400+ is a perfectly normal processor.

and they are OC
monsters.

-----------------------

Old June 30th 04, 08:23 PM
AndrewJ

Well, it 'might' be a mobile but it's by no means 'for sure' as a 266 MHz
FSB XP 2400+ is a perfectly normal processor.

Of the dozen some Barton's I'm running, only three are not
auto-detected. Those are the three that are Mobiles. That is on three
different brands and two basic mobo types. Asus, Biostar, Chaintech.
With VIA and NF2.

-----------------------
Old June 30th 04, 09:43 PM
AMD'r

"AndrewJ" wrote in message

Well, it 'might' be a mobile but it's by no means 'for sure' as a 266 MHz
FSB XP 2400+ is a perfectly normal processor.

Of the dozen some Barton's I'm running, only three are not
auto-detected. Those are the three that are Mobiles. That is on three
different brands and two basic mobo types. Asus, Biostar, Chaintech.
With VIA and NF2.

Maybe so, but the 266 Mhz XP2400+ isn't a Barton...