USB2.0 WLAN driver problem

Old August 9th 07, 11:27 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
-keevill-

Default USB2.0 WLAN driver problem

I've just set up an Asus M2V-MX mainboard with Sempron CPU with WinXP SP2
and all is wall except for the USB 2.0 WLan drivers. This is showing as a
problem in hardware devices and when I try to install the drivers from the
Asus CD, I get the error that they are not needed and that WinXP SP1 and
newer already contains the drivers.
Do I need to download the drivers from somewhere or what can I do to make
the USB2.0 work.

Old August 9th 07, 12:02 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Michael Hawes

"-keevill-" wrote in message
.. .
I've just set up an Asus M2V-MX mainboard with Sempron CPU with WinXP SP2
and all is wall except for the USB 2.0 WLan drivers. This is showing as a
problem in hardware devices and when I try to install the drivers from the
Asus CD, I get the error that they are not needed and that WinXP SP1 and
newer already contains the drivers.
Do I need to download the drivers from somewhere or what can I do to make
the USB2.0 work.

You need the driver for the WLAN device, not USB2. (which comes with XP
Sp2)

Mike.

Old August 9th 07, 01:28 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Ed Medlin

"-keevill-" wrote in message
.. .
I've just set up an Asus M2V-MX mainboard with Sempron CPU with WinXP SP2
and all is wall except for the USB 2.0 WLan drivers. This is showing as a
problem in hardware devices and when I try to install the drivers from the
Asus CD, I get the error that they are not needed and that WinXP SP1 and
newer already contains the drivers.
Do I need to download the drivers from somewhere or what can I do to make
the USB2.0 work.

Just a shot in the dark here, but have you went into Device Manager,
uninstalled the device, then reboot and see if you can install the drivers
then? Might work.

Ed

Old August 9th 07, 02:22 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Patty

On Thu, 9 Aug 2007 17:27:51 +0700, -keevill- wrote:

I've just set up an Asus M2V-MX mainboard with Sempron CPU with WinXP SP2
and all is wall except for the USB 2.0 WLan drivers. This is showing as a
problem in hardware devices and when I try to install the drivers from the
Asus CD, I get the error that they are not needed and that WinXP SP1 and
newer already contains the drivers.
Do I need to download the drivers from somewhere or what can I do to make
the USB2.0 work.

USB2.0 is not WLAN. I'm not sure what all you're trying to install. WLAN
refers to Wireless Networking (Wireless Local Area Network) not USB2.0.
You need to look in your Device Manager under Serial Bus Controllers and
see if it shows Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller as an entry.
If it does your USB2.0 is installed.

Patty
Old August 11th 07, 03:35 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
-keevill-

USB2.0 is not WLAN. I'm not sure what all you're trying to install. WLAN
refers to Wireless Networking (Wireless Local Area Network) not USB2.0.
You need to look in your Device Manager under Serial Bus Controllers and
see if it shows Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller as an entry.
If it does your USB2.0 is installed.

Patty

Thanks all for that . Yes - it was indeed the drivers for the Wireless USB
adaptor which were not installed correctly . I uninstalled and reinstalled
and all is well.
-keevill-

Old August 11th 07, 05:24 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Patty

On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 09:35:05 +0700, -keevill- wrote:

USB2.0 is not WLAN. I'm not sure what all you're trying to install. WLAN
refers to Wireless Networking (Wireless Local Area Network) not USB2.0.
You need to look in your Device Manager under Serial Bus Controllers and
see if it shows Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller as an entry.
If it does your USB2.0 is installed.

Patty

Thanks all for that . Yes - it was indeed the drivers for the Wireless USB
adaptor which were not installed correctly . I uninstalled and reinstalled
and all is well.
-keevill-

Glad you got it all sorted.

How do you like your wireless USB adaptor? I've been thinking one of those
might be great for working on a client's computer and you need a quick way
to connect to the internet for upgrades, etc.

Patty