How find expert local PC builders

Old July 15th 06, 06:24 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Ben Dover

Default How find expert local PC builders

"-Nisko-" blabbered in

Yes, you are correct - no one has actually addressed how to find an
expert builder who is very knowledgeable in my area. I think I need
someone I can actually work with - face to face - to get the PC I
really want. I could spec out my requirements - but an expert might
tell me that I should go with this rather than that - and here's why.

"NoStop" wrote in message
On Friday 14 July 2006 01:56 pm, ANONYMOUS had this to say in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:

You will be better off buying a decent machine from DELL, HP etc. I
like DELL because you can configure your own system online and they
will build it for you.

That is not what he's looking for and one does not get anywhere near
a "decent" machine buying from those outfits. A white box computer
composed of the parts that you want and have researched as being the
best, produces a far better computer than most of that crap sold by
the big name outfits.

hth

I'm sure it didn't as he knows what he wants and doesn't need some
Wintard to tell him to buy a Dell.

-Nisko- wrote:

I would like to know how to find expert PC builders in my area
(Rhode Island). These builders may not be in the yellow pages -
and I need someone that is *very* knowledgeable (I want cutting
edge equipment and a
RAID array
or two). Also, I would be looking for upgradeability and a system
suitable
for Vista. Thanks........

--
WGA is the best thing that has happened for Linux in a while.

The ULTIMATE Windoze Fanboy:

Is this a modern day equivalent of a Nazi youth rally?:

http://www.ntk.net/media/developers.mpg

A 3D Linux Desktop (video) ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUSn-jBA3CE

View Some Common Linux Desktops ...
http://shots.osdir.com/

Is there some reason you don't feel competent to build yourself? Building
a system is really quite simple to do and there are a number of "Build
your own PC" sites on the web if you google for them. Do a little study
of the best components - or what you can afford - collect everything,
then start to build. My 18 y/o son just built his first system totally on
his own with only some input on hardware from me. Took him all of 2 hours
to assemble and have it up ready to install the OS. Total cost ... about
$700, for a system that would cost at least $1500 to duplicate from a
company like Dell, ABS, etc.

I've been building my own systems since the DOS 5 days and have no real
electronics/computer education. Self taught, and no problems.

Check places like TigerDirect.com, Outpost.com (Frys) or NewEgg.com for
excellect buys on hardware. Magazines like MaximumPC are great sources of
the best hardware. No punches pulled if the "new and hot" parts are crap.
Forget mags like PCWorld which run off their ads of major manufacturers.

Forget the so-called "experts". Their opinion is no more valid than
anyone elses most times, and you can do it yourself and learn HOW a
system really works while having fun at the same time!

Do it!
Old July 15th 06, 06:26 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Ben Dover

Agent_C blabbered in
:

On 14 Jul 2006 13:45:03 -0700, "johns" wrote:

I'm an expert builder. What are you trying to do?
Also, the idea that kids know anything about building
computers is nonsense. They know just enough
to get you into an ASUS mobo, and nothing about
ergonomics, warranty scams, price breaks, bad
video cards, screaming loud DVD drives, stupid
RAIDs when all you need is a large hard drive and
an external USB backup drive, slow pricy LCD
monitors with no modern inputs for expansion
and multimedia, nothing about security and good
software for that, nothing about imaging, and
especially nothing about Vista. I beta tested Vista
..... DON'T DO IT :-)
Go find a builder, and come back here with a list
of parts he recommends, and I will debunk it for
you. When you get an idea of what you want to
do with a new computer, I can give you a list of
parts ... and prices .. and you can go hang that
under his nose, and see what he says. And then
I'll debunk that for you too :-) And then I'll probably
tell you which model Dell to buy, and the upgrade
specs so Dell doesn't put you into a piece of crap
that won't even come close to doing what they
claim it will do.

johns

*** ??? CYNICAL MUCH ??? ***

Not to mention modest. LOL! Wonder where this "expertise" comes from
How many systems built? How many years building? What kinds of systems?

Old July 15th 06, 06:27 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
vernon

vernon wrote:

"ANONYMOUS" wrote in message

You will be better off buying a decent machine from DELL, HP etc. I
like DELL because you can configure your own system online and
they will build it for you.

hth

So will HP / Compaq.

DELL will not ship what most would consider "standard" or
"understood." IE. Someone with a good printer with a parallel
interface will be out of luck UNLESS they are savy enough to
specifically order it. DELL motherboards are quite unique.

Trouble = DELL OR Norton OR free download music.

I don't agree at all. I don't think Dell makes the best computers,
but I think they provide a decent product for a decent price. You
can certainly put together a better collection of components if you
know what you're doing and are willing to spend more money, but for
the average person, who just wants something that will work out of
the box, I think Dell is an excellent choice.

The question was "How to find an expert builder". That's not go
on-line and get a DELL.

I know what the original question was. I was not replying to the OP's
question, but to your statement "Trouble = DELL OR Norton OR free download
music."

In the context:
"Trouble = DELL OR Norton OR free download music."

BTW. I have compared, over and over and over, and I can get a better cost
ratio from Circuit City, Best Buy, Compusa, Fry's than from DELL AND get
local, over the counter service.

The cost ratio usually involves getting "completely" what you need or expect
and AMD.

Please reply to the newsgroup

Old July 15th 06, 06:39 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Agent_C

On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 09:51:10 -0700, "Ken Blake, MVP"

Spear?

A_C

Old July 15th 06, 06:46 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
vernon

"-Nisko-" wrote in message
Ken, I wasn't implying that you didn't understand the original question.
You've been a lot of help. It's just that, so far, no one has had any
ideas on how to point me in the right direction. I enjoy keeping up with
the *best* and fastest - even if I don't need it all. That's one reason
why I want to stay upgradeable. I'm 62 years old and using a computer is
my hobby. I'd like to learn more about the inner workings and how to put
it together (or, better yet for the first time, have a *tutor* who really
knows what he is talking about). It would be very beneficial if that
tutor lived close to me. I wish there were a directory of sorts that
could help me out. I don't want to be foolish about spending my hard
earned retirement money - nor do I want to buy components that are
incompatible. I also want it to be Vista compatible with dual core or
maybe even quad core. Water cooling is not out of the question either.
Of course, a good backup system and large, 10,000rpm drives would be
desirable. I'd also make use of one or two clones which would be updates
frequently. I probably wouldn't start building this machine right away
because I want to know exactly what Vista will require. But I'd like to
get a relationship going with this *expert*. Perhaps he could just
monitor me step by step - both in purchasing the components and in
construction.

You pose a few variations.
1. VERY few decent level (AMD 64) systems are not already Vista compatible.
2. I don't remember you stating where you live.
3. It is difficult, except on sale or closeouts to get anything
incompatible.
4. You describe a "server" level (not type) system.
5. Mean access is a better judge of speed than rotation speed of a hard
drive. (Expect, very shortly, solid state equivalents)
6. The real proof of Vista compatible or "freindly" will be about 3-6 mos.
after Vista appears in standard machines.

The MAIN thing to watch out for is someone who has favorites or the easy way
out.

While you are searching there are good magazines out that advertize
Motherboards and have regular reviews of all components.

A rule of thumb that seems to be holding as technology advances and prices
go down. "for what you stated" Expect to have about $3000.00 available.
It is the typical top of the line custom whatever. It was in 1960 and 70,
and 80 and 90 and 2000.

Oh, yes, whoever you find will be insanely jealous.

Old July 15th 06, 06:51 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
vernon

-Nisko- wrote:

Ken, I wasn't implying that you didn't understand the original
question.

Are you Nisko or Vernon? Or both? If you've been posting to a single
thread with two different names, it gets really confusing.

No
and not if you look at the header.

That is if you are using Outlook or OE.

You've been a lot of help. It's just that, so far, no one
has had any ideas on how to point me in the right direction.

Your original question was "I would like to know how to find expert PC
builders in my area (Rhode
Island)" Do you have a local PC users group? If so, go to one of their
meetings and ask the people there. A users group is usually a good source
for this kind of information.

I live in the 5th largest city in the U.S. (easy to look up) P.C. users
groups died out over a decade ago except at senior centers.

I enjoy
keeping up with the *best* and fastest - even if I don't need it all.
That's one reason why I want to stay upgradeable. I'm 62 years old
and using a computer is my hobby.

I'm 68, and although most of my career was in the computer field, I'm
retired now, so I guess you could say that it's my hobby too.

Please reply to the newsgroup

Old July 15th 06, 07:31 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Rod Speed

-Nisko- wrote:

Yes, you are correct - no one has actually addressed how to find an
expert builder who is very knowledgeable in my area. I think I need
someone I can actually work with - face to face - to get the PC I
really want. I could spec out my requirements - but an expert might
tell me that I should go with this rather than that - and here's why.

There are two separate issues here, who actually assembles
the system, and the detail of what components are used.

You dont need face to face to work out what components you should
have in your system and in fact the net works a lot better there.

There are certainly some advantages in getting someone
who knows what they are doing to physically assemble it
for you if you dont feel comfortable doing that yourself.
Even just having alternates on hand when it doesnt start
properly can make getting it going much easier too.

The net isnt really that good at keeping track of which individuals
are competant in your area for the physical assembly.

Old July 16th 06, 09:00 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
WooHoo2You

I agree with johns, myspace is a bad place to start. I have owned a
computer since I was six (1987) and I do not pretend to know everything but
some 11 year olds do.

"I am not young enough to know everything."

-Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Take that into conceration.

--
WooHoo2You

Old July 16th 06, 09:02 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
WooHoo2You

"ANONYMOUS" wrote in message

You will be better off buying a decent machine from DELL, HP etc. I
like DELL because you can configure your own system online and they will
build it for you.

Then if you have a problem they route you to INDIA. Where they do not only
ignore your problem, they do not understand it as well.

--
WooHoo2You

Old July 16th 06, 09:42 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
ToolPackinMama

-Nisko- wrote:
I would like to know how to find expert PC builders in my area (Rhode
Island). These builders may not be in the yellow pages - and I need someone
that is *very* knowledgeable (I want cutting edge equipment and a RAID array
or two). Also, I would be looking for upgradeability and a system suitable
for Vista. Thanks........

What are you using your computer for?

64-bit Gold Fingers Homebuilt PC's 6 March 24th 06 05:00 PM
RAID-5 on DFI NF4 Expert motherboard, also WinXP Soft-Raid 5. Erik Harris Overclocking AMD Processors 2 February 1st 06 11:46 PM
Dell Inspiron Fan -- Where do I find halfy Dell Computers 5 January 10th 06 02:39 AM
Newbie: OC Advice: AMDXP2200 CPU Donald Bock Overclocking AMD Processors 2 March 12th 05 12:14 AM
Struggling to find position in I.T. Brennan General 5 September 18th 03 06:02 PM