Underclocking PIII 800 133 FSB chip to 100 FSB

Old February 5th 07, 08:41 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
....@m

Default Underclocking PIII 800 133 FSB chip to 100 FSB

I have an old motherboard by pcs, p6set-ml , and it has a socket 370
and a slot one on it. There is no voltage jumper. You configure the
FSB and the multiplier in BIOS. I can set the FSB to 100 and mult to
8.0 to achieve a speed of 800 MHZ. It will accept FCPGA Socket 370
chips (celeron and pent. III).

These day's, used PIII FSB 133 chips are CHEAPER than used PIII FSB
100 chips. Wouldn't it be completely possible to put a 133 FSB rated
PIII into a board that only produced an FSB of 100? Isn't the voltage
spec and the pysical package spec the same? It seems that the chip
wouldn't know the difference...

Any response is appreciated... thanks.
Old February 5th 07, 09:57 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Michael Hawes

....@m wrote in message ...
I have an old motherboard by pcs, p6set-ml , and it has a socket 370
and a slot one on it. There is no voltage jumper. You configure the
FSB and the multiplier in BIOS. I can set the FSB to 100 and mult to
8.0 to achieve a speed of 800 MHZ. It will accept FCPGA Socket 370
chips (celeron and pent. III).

These day's, used PIII FSB 133 chips are CHEAPER than used PIII FSB
100 chips. Wouldn't it be completely possible to put a 133 FSB rated
PIII into a board that only produced an FSB of 100? Isn't the voltage
spec and the pysical package spec the same? It seems that the chip
wouldn't know the difference...

Any response is appreciated... thanks.

It will only run at 75% of rated speed! If that will so what you qant,
then you can do that. Check core volts first.
Mike.

Old February 6th 07, 02:52 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
....@m

On Mon, 5 Feb 2007 21:57:05 -0000, "Michael Hawes"
wrote:

....@m wrote in message ...
I have an old motherboard by pcs, p6set-ml , and it has a socket 370
and a slot one on it. There is no voltage jumper. You configure the
FSB and the multiplier in BIOS. I can set the FSB to 100 and mult to
8.0 to achieve a speed of 800 MHZ. It will accept FCPGA Socket 370
chips (celeron and pent. III).

These day's, used PIII FSB 133 chips are CHEAPER than used PIII FSB
100 chips. Wouldn't it be completely possible to put a 133 FSB rated
PIII into a board that only produced an FSB of 100? Isn't the voltage
spec and the pysical package spec the same? It seems that the chip
wouldn't know the difference...

Any response is appreciated... thanks.

It will only run at 75% of rated speed! If that will so what you qant,
then you can do that. Check core volts first.
Mike.

in regard to my earlier post ...

This is table data from Excel copied from a processor analysis webpage
by Intel, and you'll notice wrap around for some browsers... etc...
The link to the intel website is:
http://processorfinder.intel.com/Default.aspx

SL463 800 MHz N/A N/A 100 MHz 0.18 micron CB0 256 KB
370 pin
SL4MA 800 MHz N/A N/A 100 MHz 0.18 micron CC0 256 KB
370 pin
SL3Y3 800 MHz N/A N/A 100 MHz 0.18 micron CB0 256 KB
FC-PGA
SL4CE 800 MHz N/A N/A 100 MHz 0.18 micron CC0 256 KB
370 pin

In regard to my previous post, several processors were produced which
specifically adhere to the 100mhz fsb, pIII, 800mhz spec... I want my
processor to fit into a socket 370, yet not "lock" the FSB rate and
allow the bios to modify it... which stepping would that be? I'm
guessing CB0 FC-PGA ... "flip chip"? Because that was the early one
with no "clock locking"?

I'm guessing SL3Y3 (flip chip) at best, or SL463?

SL3Y3 is very expensive at pricewatch.com... and likewise for SL463.
ebay too...

Based on my previous post, Is it more expensive in the secondary
market because they know it is "flexible" and not "clock locked"?
Less produced?

Any feedback and curiosity is appreciated... thanks.