Bus Ratio Change does not work

Old November 9th 04, 12:45 PM
vic

Default Bus Ratio Change does not work

P111/450 . Moving the bus ratio jumpers upward or down does not alter the
displayed speed.
System Bus F 100MHz
Ratio of Processor Core to System Bus 1.5 to 8

Any suggestions as to why there is no response to the jumper shift
appreciated

Vic

Old November 9th 04, 02:11 PM
BananaOfTheNight

P111/450 . Moving the bus ratio jumpers upward or down does not alter
the displayed speed.
System Bus F 100MHz
Ratio of Processor Core to System Bus 1.5 to 8

Any suggestions as to why there is no response to the jumper shift
appreciated

Most processors after the early model Pentium 2 (Intel, anyway) have a
locked multiplier. Changing the multiplier on the board (your ratio)
will either have no effect or will stop your system from booting (I
tried it on a P2 350, on an Asus P2B).

If you want a faster processor for no extra money, you have to increase
the FSB (your system bus) - and this is where the art comes in.

Some processors released now have fully unlocked multipliers (AMD Athlon
64 FX springs to mind) and some have unlocked lower multipliers (you can
pick any multiplier lower than your CPU is rated for, but no higher -
example is the AMD Athlon 64 series, socket 754 and 939).
Old November 9th 04, 02:59 PM
Richard Hopkins

"vic" wrote in message...
P111/450 . Moving the bus ratio jumpers upward or down does
not alter the displayed speed.

Any suggestions as to why there is no response to the jumper shift
appreciated

Sure, the multiplier is locked on board the CPU at 4.5x, and the only way to
alter the CPU core speed is to chage the front side bus.
--

Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

Old November 10th 04, 04:43 PM
vic

Hi Banand and all.

Please explain "and this is where the art comes in".
Is there a way of unlocking settings?
I would appreciate knowing this little gem.
regards, Vic

--
Please remove s from my email address
"BananaOfTheNight" wrote in

Old November 10th 04, 05:27 PM
BananaOfTheNight

Please explain "and this is where the art comes in"

The process of overclocking your CPU by raising the FSB is not an exact
science (hence the 'art'). There are some factors that you can pin down
yourself, like getting memory that is rated to run at high speeds (your
FSB is the frequency that your CPU talks to your memory at), keeping the
relevant parts of your computer cool (the CPU mainly - as you clock it
higher, it will spew out more heat) and keeping the voltages sufficient
(some hardware is unstable if clocked too high and with not enough
volts. Beware - too many volts will cause expensive meltdown).

There are other factors involved too - you need to have a motherboard
with a decent chipset that copes well with changes in frequency. I had a
board (chipset = SiS 648 Max) that was ridiculously unstable when
clocked even 10 MHz above stock (it was a P4 2.4 GHz), but it was a
cheapo board anyway. You may also have to loosen the timings on your
memory (don't ask me for a good explanation of that - I don't know it in
enough detail) to get it to run well at higher frequencies.

Aside from those few starting pointers, you have to experiment a bit.
Best to have a little look around (usenet, google, whatever) and find
out the maximum tolerances for your stuff - the highest temperature that
the CPU can cope with, the highest voltage that it can stand, specs and
overclocking tests (if people have published their results) for your
memory, etc.

There is not a simple, one-size-fits-all formula for overclocking -
that's why we have a newsgroup and thousands of websites on the topic.

Is there a way of unlocking settings?
I would appreciate knowing this little gem.

Yes, but only if you have an Athlon processor. It is not a trivial task
and can kill your CPU if done wrong, but it is possible.

Have a look at these:

http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20011112/index.html
http://www4.tomshardware.com/column/20011124/index.html

for overclocking Athlon XP/MP processors (pre-Barton core)

There is also some stuff on unlocking Barton-cored Athlons here, but I
dont know any other stuff about this:

http://www.emboss.co.nz/amdunlock/
Old November 11th 04, 04:12 PM
vic

Thank you BOTN.

Will go away and digest your comments and get back latter
Regards Vic