Oracle on NetApp

Old December 2nd 03, 02:08 AM
Faeandar

Default Oracle on NetApp

Anyone surfing this group doing this? If so what do you think about
it? I know of several companies that do and have had extensive
conversation with one of the admins doing this.

I think it's a good idea if you can build in the availability
initially. OnTap software has huge advantages for databases but the
filer hardware can be less than enterprise robustness sometimes.

Thanks.

~F
Old December 2nd 03, 04:03 AM
Paul Galjan

I've seen very few problems with them, but I'd do some testing before I put
an OLTP DB on it. Keep in mind that you need some CPU overhead for any high
I/O app with network based storage. If this is an issue, Netapp has serve
block-based storage.

The real big advantage I see with Netapp over traditional block-based
storage is that it's still on the WAFL filesystem (UFS, VXFS, NTFS formatted
over that). The WAFL filesystem means that you can still do all the cool
replication that Netapp has to offer.

Netapp has a great relationship with Oracle. They say Oracle's own
databases run on Netapp HW.

--paul

Old December 2nd 03, 03:00 PM
Boll Weevil

On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 01:08:40 GMT, Faeandar wrote:

Anyone surfing this group doing this? If so what do you think about
it? I know of several companies that do and have had extensive
conversation with one of the admins doing this.

I think it's a good idea if you can build in the availability
initially. OnTap software has huge advantages for databases but the
filer hardware can be less than enterprise robustness sometimes.

Thanks.

~F

I am shocked that you're asking this question. Oracle (the company)
uses Net App. Net App is optimized for Oracle. Of all the companies
that I know that use Oracle and Net App, none have turned back. Using
Snap Shots for recovering corrupt databases is second to none.
Old December 2nd 03, 08:27 PM
Jesper Monsted

Boll Weevil wrote in
:
Snap Shots for recovering corrupt databases is second to none.

Unless you can snapshot with your enterprise-grade SAN storage

My only complaint about netapp's hardware is the, IMHO, substandard
storage. I really like the Netapp/HDS combo, though.

I'm going to play with the EMC Celerra very soon. Does anyone have good or
bad experiences with it that we should know about?

--
/Jesper Monsted
Old December 5th 03, 02:07 PM
Net Worker

We just migrated off EMC's celerra because we felt that its the most
substandard network attached storage we have ever seen.
Its such a complex system just to provide network attached storage. you have
to deal with control station, data movers, the dart os and their version of
Linux and a whole bunch of stuff like usermapper etc to just to get it serve
CIFS. Have you heard of any NAS system that will panic and shutdown if any
of the user filesystem (not the root file system) fills up? The Celerra
does. Every time M$ releases a new SP for win2K, the datamovers will panic
and will need a patch from EMC to get it back to work.

My suggestion, don't get fooled by EMC's hype.
-G
"Jesper Monsted" wrote in message
4.163...
Boll Weevil wrote in
:

Old December 5th 03, 10:13 PM
Faeandar

I already knew that but wanted to get the admin's take on it. One of
the follow-up posters mentioned one of my issues and that is the
hardware. The software is fantastic, but their hardware has left
something to be desired. I have not dealt with the new MK2 shelves so
hopefully my LRC complaint is fixed.

I also need to get some idea of who is doing it and what the dba's
think. My dba's are (like most I'm sure) a superstitious lot. Many
still think raw disk is best and all believe raid 5 is bad, and I've
done performance benchmarks on our HDS 9980 and there was zero
difference for our access patterns. But try and get them to accept it
even with numbers....

Thanks.

~F