14.1 or 15.4 screen size

Old February 10th 07, 10:21 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Rider

Default 14.1 or 15.4 screen size

I'm curious as to opinions on screen size for a laptop. I wonder if the
15.4 is just to big or the 14.1 is too small. I would imagine the 15.4's
physical size is bigger also.
If surfing, will the 15.4 not fill the screen? Can I get some opinions.
I don't plan right now to be carrying the laptop around, at least now.

thanks
Old February 10th 07, 11:44 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ron Hardin

Rider wrote:

I'm curious as to opinions on screen size for a laptop. I wonder if the
15.4 is just to big or the 14.1 is too small. I would imagine the 15.4's
physical size is bigger also.
If surfing, will the 15.4 not fill the screen? Can I get some opinions.
I don't plan right now to be carrying the laptop around, at least now.

thanks

I'm a little confused too, by the 15.4 (``widescreen'') being apparently
shorter than the 14.*" on the Inspiron 2200 (not sure of the size after 14)

I gather ``widescreen'' is more a refernce to aspect ratio, for showing
widescreen movies or something.

Now there are 14.*" widescreen too.

Browsers take up whatever part of the screen you want, though, in answer to
the quesion.
--
Ron Hardin

Old February 11th 07, 02:45 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
journey

On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 16:21:36 -0500, Rider
wrote:

I'm curious as to opinions on screen size for a laptop. I wonder if the
15.4 is just to big or the 14.1 is too small. I would imagine the 15.4's
physical size is bigger also.
If surfing, will the 15.4 not fill the screen? Can I get some opinions.
I don't plan right now to be carrying the laptop around, at least now.

thanks

Screen size is one of the most personal preferences for a laptop, and
one that is very important because you will have to live with that
choice. If you can get to a Dell kiosk, there would probably be
models of each size to help you decide. Otherwise, I don't think that
anyone can accurately explain the weight / resolution / size / and
screen type factors for you.
Old February 11th 07, 09:58 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Clint

You can easily get the dimensions of the different laptops from the Dell
website. Try comparing the Inspiron 640m (14.1"), the Inspiron 6400 (15.4")
and Inspiron 9400 (17"). They go up about 1" in width and length between
each machine, as a rough rule of thumb.

The other important aspect of the screen that you're not discussing is the
resolution. There's WXGA (1280x800), WXGA+ (1440x900), WSXGA+ (1680x1050),
WUGA (1920x1200). Some of these resolutions are available in multiple
screen sizes, like the WXGA being available on all three. Others are only
available on one size, like the WUGA being only available on the 17".

My experience has been the WSXGA+ on a 14" display, which I find too high of
a resolution for a desktop replacement, which sits a little further away
than it might for a regular laptop (since I'm using a separate keyboard and
mouse). The 15" model (which I've also used extensively) is fine.

Your question about the screen being filled when surfing doesn't make sense
to me... If you maximize your browser, it will fill the screen regardless
of the screen size or resolution. But it's up to the web page/site to
determine how it's going to scale itself to whatever browser window it's in.

If it was my choice, I'd probably go for a 15.4" display, with WSXGA+
resolution. But that's based entirely on my use and experience. FWIW, my
home desktop screens are a 20" widescreen LCD running 1680x1050, and a 19"
CRT running 1280x1024.

Clint