Dell Vista Express Upgrade

Old February 7th 07, 08:31 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

Default Dell Vista Express Upgrade

What are the differences between Vista Express Upgrade and Vista
Retail?

Is the Express Upgrade a piggyback installation?

Is the Express Upgrade generic to all manufacturers?

Hmmm. Thanks in advance for your insight.

Old February 7th 07, 08:43 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

wrote in message
oups.com...
What are the differences between Vista Express Upgrade and Vista
Retail?

Is the Express Upgrade a piggyback installation?

Is the Express Upgrade generic to all manufacturers?

Hmmm. Thanks in advance for your insight.

Until I see one, I have no way of knowing and doubt anyone does. My
guesses:

Upgrade requires a previous installation of an OS, so the theory is that it
has to be an XP upgrade. Feeding the XP disk isn't enough anymore. However,
I recently read of a trick to do a clean install. If you install Vista and
don't give it a product key, it installs in 'test mode'. You have to put
your key in within 30 days. If you then immediately RE-install Vista on top
of itself and give it your key, it will authorize as an upgrade, therefore
giving you a clean install. Vista will evidently upgrade itself. I plan on
trying it as soon as I get it.

2) I would expect that Dell's will be customized, if for no other reason to
slipstream some drivers. That's not guaranteed, though, as the XP upgrade
disk I received years ago from Dell was a generic XP upgrade disk.

Old February 7th 07, 09:28 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

On Feb 7, 12:43 pm, "Tom Scales" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

Thanks Tom.

Old February 8th 07, 02:31 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
hacker

wrote:
What are the differences between Vista Express Upgrade and Vista
Retail?

Is the Express Upgrade a piggyback installation?

Is the Express Upgrade generic to all manufacturers?

Hmmm. Thanks in advance for your insight.

There was a post on dell forums alleging the delay was due to m$ not
providing the upgrade dvd's.

Old February 8th 07, 11:35 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

oups.com...

wrote:
What are the differences between Vista Express Upgrade and Vista
Retail?

Is the Express Upgrade a piggyback installation?

Is the Express Upgrade generic to all manufacturers?

Hmmm. Thanks in advance for your insight.

There was a post on dell forums alleging the delay was due to m$ not
providing the upgrade dvd's.

Well, Vista did come about pretty fast. It's not like they had years to get
the process ready.

Old February 8th 07, 12:24 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Barry Watzman

I beg to differ. Beta versions of Vista were, in fact, available more
than a year ago.

Old February 8th 07, 12:27 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

Wow, sarcasm goes WAY over your head, doesn't it.

They've had YEARS to prepare. The first beta of what would become Vista was
available, what, in 2002?

Tom Scales wrote:

Well, Vista did come about pretty fast. It's not like they had years to
get the process ready.

Dell Vista Express Upgrade LastYJ Dell Computers 6 February 7th 07 06:32 PM
A Statement from Dell re Vista Jay B Dell Computers 67 February 5th 07 06:59 AM
Vista Keith Dell Computers 14 November 22nd 06 07:44 PM
Dell's Sorry History of Microphone/Soundcard Issue (Update) Class_Action General 127 January 20th 06 09:30 PM
Dell's Sorry History of Microphone/Soundcard Issue (Update) Class_Action Dell Computers 121 December 12th 05 12:47 PM