Partion HD before or after installing W2k

Old December 18th 04, 02:36 AM
David Maynard

who wrote:

Does it matter? If you partition with fdisk, then W2K will prompt you to
reformat the primary partition anyway.

Regards,

Michael

Partition and format are not the same thing.

Old December 18th 04, 07:47 PM
rhys

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 17:16:09 GMT, "Frank" wrote:

This is a myth. If you reinstall an OS you have to reinstall the software
anyway. I stopped this about 4 years ago. There is just no use.....

No, this is a reality. Last year, I had a "program" partition fail on
me on the physical side. I was able to back up all data and get the
verging-on-dead HD mirrored on the same model of HD, which cost me
about $70 from my local builder.

I reformatted the D: drive (programs) on the mirrored HD and
reinstalled all programs. Ultimately, I ended up tossing about 50% of
the crap programs I rarely used, so it was a positive experience and
definitely less traumatic and time-consuming than if I had had a
single partition with a bad sector. I use the older HD with the "bad
sectors" clearly marked for redudant archives and gaming. If it blows
up, it's no real loss at this stage.

Just a few weeks ago I had a corruption in my C: drive (OS) due to a
power outage, and yes, a decent UPS is on my Christmas list. While I
had to reformat and reinstall W2K, and then had to go through a fairly
tedious round of updating service packs and restarts, I only had to
reinstall a few of my usual programs (I'm a graphics design/desktop
publisher). Most worked by shortcuts to the .exe file being created in
the Start menu.

If I had had one big partition and the data management habits of most
PC users, there would have hell to pay instead of a morning's
inconvenience. Once again, I made a lot of space on my programs
partition by critically looking at the dozens of programs I had
installed that I rarely used...and deleting them!

R.

Old December 18th 04, 07:53 PM
rhys

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 17:38:38 GMT, John Doe
wrote:

They are talking about partitions on the same hard disk drive, JAD,
that's not something to protect against hard disk drive failure.

Actually, what I didn't mention because it wasn't part of the OP's
query was that I image my first HD's data partition on a second HD in
the same machine, and also onto a networked second "legacy" PC that
contains all my current programs, but which is a slower, less tricked
out model. This means a complete failure of my main box is again
inconvenient, but not tragic. This also means that if I hire another
designer or writer on a sub-contract, we can work on different parts
of the same job in the same home office.

As a final safeguard, I have almost all my business data on my laptop,
which is kept handy so I can grab it if the house burnt down G

About the only other rhing I could do beyond this is off-site data
warehousing, but frankly, what I do isn't that important or crucial.

I don't image the whole drive (OS, programs, data), because I haven't
felt the need as long as I have original CD-ROMs for reinstallations.

R.
Old December 18th 04, 09:13 PM
Kill Bill

"rhys" wrote in message
news
[...]

Ever heard of a repair installation?

Old December 19th 04, 06:36 AM
Ralph Wade Phillips

Howdy!

wrote in message
Hi All

As you can read in the head of the message, I'm struggling with this
question.
After my first attempt to build a computer with an Asus A7N8X-e as MoBo
every thing went fine.
Now I want to install OS(W2k) and was wandering what is the best way to do
it.
Before or after to part the HD in partions, and how.?
I have done this earlier with PartionMagic,but a know there is a way with
"fdisk" (never done that).
Can anyone give me a clear answere.
gr françois

During.

One of the options during install is to create the partition, then
it formats it.

RwP