No Crashes - What Specs?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 21st 05, 06:32 PM
Von Fourche

Default No Crashes - What Specs?

Now that I've made the move from dial-up to high speed (DSL) I'm ready
to ditch my five year old Compaq very soon.

The main problem I have with this computer is that it has always crashed
a lot and seems to crash more and more.

It's running Windows ME, 850MHz Pentium III, 128MB ram.

Now that I'm on a modern high speed connection I want a computer that I
can keep on for weeks at a time. I want a computer that will not crash when
I'm listening to steaming audio while surfing three or four different web
pages at the same time, while downloading content.

What do I need in a computer to accomplish this? Is the solution to
just move up to Windows XP? How much ram do I need? Is 500MB enough for my
needs or should I move up to 1GB?

I don't play games on my computer (I have an XBox for that) except for
online chess, poker, and backgammon. So, I don't need a maxed out system.

I do play a lot of music on my computer and store a lot of pictures from
my digi-cam.

So, what would the minimum requirements be for a computer?

The most important thing I want is a stable system.

Thanks

Heat Dissipation Specs - Dimension 8400 vs 4700; Also: Which is Quieter? Don Enderton Dell Computers 2 November 21st 04 12:51 AM
Win 2K Server crashes when USB 2.0 HD is hotplugged Joe Peteh General Hardware 0 July 29th 04 01:56 PM
GTW Perf 500 Crashes - Hardware Problem? Michael Gateway Computers 0 February 17th 04 02:29 AM
odd crashes Jeremy Nvidia Videocards 7 October 2nd 03 03:53 PM
AIW 8500DV crashes with IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL Thomas Boettcher Ati Videocards 17 August 22nd 03 09:54 PM