Upgrade questions with an Athlon 2400 and the X800

Old May 12th 04, 12:24 PM
bladeofroses

Default Upgrade questions with an Athlon 2400 and the X800

With the arrival of the new X800 cards, the upgrade question begs to
be asked. I'm running an Athlon 2400XP on 1 GB of PC2700 DDR-RAM. I'm
currently running a Geforce Ti4200 128MB card. Obviously, it's time
for this card to go..

Games such as Far Cry and Battlefield Vietnam are seriously
unplayable. As you can imagine. I have considered purchasing a $1200
motherboard/cpu/ upgrade to go along with the X800 card, but taking
that deep of a financial plunge right now seems a bit unrealistic.
With that question out of the way for a moment, could I just put in
this X800 Pro/Platinum card and expect a considerable performance
increase in FPS for these power hungry games? Or is the Athlon 2400
just too much of a bottleneck to even consider adding the high end
cards or not without doing a complete upgrade? I thank you for any
help you guys can offer me on this situation. I'm really hoping that I
don't have to upgrade the CPU just yet, even though I probably should.
Old May 12th 04, 02:27 PM
John Smith

Hi
How are you running your 2400
At 133 X 15 or 166 X 12?
most 2400s will hit 2.3-2.5 Ghz

Smiffy

Old May 12th 04, 06:27 PM
maniac

John Smith wrote:

most 2400s will hit 2.3-2.5 Ghz

Of course, sure...

--
maniac(at)chello.pl
Old May 13th 04, 11:25 PM
MKH1

most 2400s will hit 2.3-2.5 Ghz

Will most likely not.
Not everybody are using dryice as a cooler.