OT Excluding Google in search results?

Old November 7th 11, 05:54 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.politics.liberalism,sci.electronics.design
John Doe

Default OT Excluding Google in search results?

Does anybody know how to exclude "google.com" in Google search
results? Somehow I doubt it, but it needs doing here.
Old November 7th 11, 09:10 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.politics.liberalism,sci.electronics.design
Joerg[_2_]

John Doe wrote:
Does anybody know how to exclude "google.com" in Google search
results? Somehow I doubt it, but it needs doing here.

Use another search engine. After someone mentioned it here in the group
I am now using this one instead and it is IMHO much better, at least for
engineering stuff:

https://duckduckgo.com/html/

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old November 7th 11, 09:13 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.politics.liberalism,sci.electronics.design
Artemus

http://www.givemebackmygoogle.com/

Old November 8th 11, 12:43 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.design
hp

On 11/7/2011 4:10 PM, Joerg wrote:
John Doe wrote:
Does anybody know how to exclude "google.com" in Google search
results? Somehow I doubt it, but it needs doing here.

Use another search engine. After someone mentioned it here in the group
I am now using this one instead and it is IMHO much better, at least for
engineering stuff:

https://duckduckgo.com/html/

Another advantage to using duckduck is that they claim they Do No
Tracking metrics on anyone searching, AND they claim they dont store
search histories.
Whereas with Google, marketing dynamics are Important to them so they
track and store Lots More Then Some Folks like.
Old November 8th 11, 01:13 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.design
Joerg[_2_]

John Doe wrote:
Does anybody know how to exclude "google.com" in Google search
results? Somehow I doubt it, but it needs doing here.

Use another search engine. After someone mentioned it here in the group
I am now using this one instead and it is IMHO much better, at least for
engineering stuff:

https://duckduckgo.com/html/

Another advantage to using duckduck is that they claim they Do No
Tracking metrics on anyone searching, AND they claim they dont store
search histories.
Whereas with Google, marketing dynamics are Important to them so they
track and store Lots More Then Some Folks like.

I am not too concerned about tracking but lately Google has produced way
too many results that appear to be more commercially motivated. Maybe
that seach engine has run its course, at least for me. It was good while
it lasted but now I've pretty much abandoned it.

What I still use it for is maps. But I found that the print-out has
become mediocre. Can't see streets well anymore, the two lines don't
print right. If anyone knows a better map search engine that would be nice.

Old November 8th 11, 02:57 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.politics.liberalism,sci.electronics.design
John Doe

"Artemus" bogus invalid.org wrote:

John Doe jdoe usenetlove.invalid wrote:

Does anybody know how to exclude "google.com" in Google
search results? Somehow I doubt it, but it needs doing here.

http://www.givemebackmygoogle.com/

That mentions the "annoying affiliate links". FWIW... I recall
that being mentioned in a congressional hearing televised on
C-SPAN recently. You can find the Google search hearing(s) on
C-SPAN's website, if interested.

--
Thanks to the replies.
Old November 8th 11, 07:19 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.politics.liberalism,sci.electronics.design
DevilsPGD[_4_]

In message m someone
claiming to be John Doe typed:

Does anybody know how to exclude "google.com" in Google search
results? Somehow I doubt it, but it needs doing here.

-site:google.com will exclude google.com. Rinse and repeat for other
Google properties.

"-site:google.com mail" (for example) lists Yahoo! Mail, Home | Mail
Online, mail.com, hotmail.com, AOL Webmail and others without any
mention of Gmail.

--
It's always darkest before dawn. So if you're going to
steal your neighbor's newspaper, that's the time to do it.
Old November 8th 11, 08:05 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.politics.liberalism,sci.electronics.design
Dänk 42Ø

On 2011-11-07 09:58, Acid Washed China Blue Jeans wrote:
In aweb.com,
John wrote:

Does anybody know how to exclude "google.com" in Google search
results? Somehow I doubt it, but it needs doing here.

Have you tried adding the search term -google.com?

I used to use Altavista, mainly because of its ability to include or exclude entire websites or
high-level domains. For example, I can force returns on only websites in Iran with [+domain:ir] .

This is especially useful when researching current events, as you can exclude national domains
which will are likely to offer only officially sanitized versions of events. Or you might
actually want to see the official propaganda, or harvest e-mail addresses from a particular
domain. (I mentioned Iran, since I like to harvest Iranian e-mail addresses to send subversive
spam to.)

There really should be a browser plug-in to filter websites by national domain. With few
exceptions, I have never found any information of value on Russian or Chinese websites, and I
contracted the worst computer virus ever from a Russian website. Articles that may be truthful
are likely to be repeated on other countries' websites, so filtering Russian websites does not
have any effect.

Old November 8th 11, 04:16 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.politics.liberalism,sci.electronics.design
George Herold

On Nov 7, 4:10*pm, Joerg wrote:
John Doe wrote:
Does anybody know how to exclude "google.com" in Google search
results? Somehow I doubt it, but it needs doing here.

Use another search engine. After someone mentioned it here in the group
I am now using this one instead and it is IMHO much better, at least for
engineering stuff:

https://duckduckgo.com/html/

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Google is really starting to get to me. It's now a 'secure' site,
htpps:// and asks all the time if I only want to see results from
secure sites.

George H.
Old November 8th 11, 05:33 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.politics.liberalism,sci.electronics.design
John Doe

DevilsPGD Still-Just-A-Rat-In-A-Cage crazyhat.net wrote:

someone claiming to be John Doe typed:

Does anybody know how to exclude "google.com" in Google search
results? Somehow I doubt it, but it needs doing here.

-site:google.com will exclude google.com.

That appears to be the concise answer, thanks.

Now... Does anybody know how to put that in a URL so that it comes
up properly on Google's advanced search page?

How do you put that (-site:google.com) into a URL that will take
you to the advanced search page with that criteria ready to go?
I can get to the search page, but it doesn't use that
(-site:google.com) criteria. I suspect that is evidenced by the
fact that the URL criteria is not automatically listed in any
(-site:google.com) somehow fit into the "site/domain" box is
probably the first sign of success, if possible.

Again... You can use the search results example URL, but it does
not work as a start page.

http://www.google.com/advanced_searc...e%3Agoogle.com

That takes me back to the start page, but it does not use the URL
criteria in the new search results.

Here is an example URL that plugs stuff into the advanced search page.

http://www.google.com/advanced_searc...&hl=en&num=100

BTW... You might have trouble with the number of search results
100 if you do not know how to automatically reset that number,
since Google stubbornly changes it back to 10.