Rebuilding from CDs and missing applications

Old July 3rd 06, 01:31 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
~~Alan~~

Default Rebuilding from CDs and missing applications

I recently purchased an E510 with MCE and as usual, the system cam preloaded
with crap. I also purchased the restore CDs.

I want to rebuild the system without the crap so I will use the CDs instead
of the builtin restore. I know I will have to install the OS and then
install the drivers. I have some questions:

1. In what order should I install the drivers?
2. Until I can purchase some full featured apps, where are the Sonic/Roxio
CD/DVD Burning apps located on the restore CDs?

Thank you,
~alan

Old July 3rd 06, 03:07 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

"~~Alan~~" wrote in message
I recently purchased an E510 with MCE and as usual, the system cam
preloaded with crap. I also purchased the restore CDs.

I want to rebuild the system without the crap so I will use the CDs
instead of the builtin restore. I know I will have to install the OS and
then install the drivers. I have some questions:

1. In what order should I install the drivers?
2. Until I can purchase some full featured apps, where are the Sonic/Roxio
CD/DVD Burning apps located on the restore CDs?

Thank you,
~alan

The order of install of drivers is:

1) Chipset drivers
2) Everything else

As for Sonic, it is quite possible that Dell's license with Sonic only
allows it to be pre-installed on the image. Don't know, but quite possible.
The $10 check box is ONLY for the OS CD.

Tom

Old July 3rd 06, 03:18 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

A couple of added comments:

If the E510 has an SATA drive, it may be necessary to load the SATA drivers
early on in the installation process. Otherwise, the motherboard chipset
drivers provide an absolutely mandatory baseline necessary prior to the
installation of any other hardware drivers. This is a hard-and-fast rule in
the wonderful world of Windows. Also, be prepared to reboot the system many
times, both for the initial install and the download of all the band-aids from
the Microsoft web site to plug some of the multitude of security holes.

Sonic may be available as a download from the Dell web site. CDBurnerXPPro is
a suitable free substitute capable of most CD and DVD burning tasks... Ben Myers

Old July 4th 06, 05:16 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Jay B

the newest computers i received this week shipped for the first time
with a nice cd labeled
sonic digital media plus v7
which seem to be a full install of all the sonic software.
Old July 5th 06, 12:19 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
~~Alan~~

Thanks All for your suggestions.

I just contacted Dell and not only am I missing the Sonic Apps CD, but also,
the modem CD. They are sending me the missing CDs

~alan

-------------------------
America - It's not perfect, but it is the best there is. If you disagree,
then leave for someplace better.

Old July 5th 06, 12:21 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
~~Alan~~

I asked Dell about SATA drivers for the E510. Their official answer is that
Special drivers are not needed if you restore from the build-in restore or
from the DELL OEM Reinstallation CD/DVD.
~alan

-------------------------

Old July 5th 06, 01:41 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

Then the Dell OEM reinstall CD/DVD has the SATA drivers slip-streamed onto it.
You hope. Possibly the later media center edition has them built in by
Micro$oft. I do not know. I am too backward to have tinkered with Windows
MCE... Ben Myers

Old July 5th 06, 05:14 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

Slip-streamed. Definitely a good deed to Dell owners. Spoken like a true
Dellbot, huh? ... Ben Myers

On Wed, 05 Jul 2006 00:56:18 GMT, "Tom Scales" wrote:

MCE does not.
Dell MCE does
.. .