Why is it so hard to do business with Dell

Old February 21st 05, 04:32 AM
Art Vandolay

Default Why is it so hard to do business with Dell

Last Wednesday I ordered a Dell system through their online ordering system.
The system came to around $2400. During the checkout process I supplied my MC
number. Dell asks if there is a daily limit on the card. Of course, everyone
has a daily limit. Mine was $1500.

Assuming they asked what the limit was I simply figured they would break the
amount up and make two separate withdrawls. Yhey claim they don't access the
funds until they ship your PC. Apparently this is not true as within 3 hours I
received an email advisin me that the credit card comapny rejected
authorization.

I called the bank the next morning and was told Dell attempted to withdraw the
full amount. The failed authorization put my order on hold. So I called the
800 number listed in the email and told there was no problem with busting up
the amounts and doing two separate transactions. The fellow even told me how
much he was withdrawing at that moment and the balance the next day.

After waiting until Saturday and seeing no change in order status and no
activity in my bank account I called Dell to see what the problem was.

I was passed around to at least three people. None of them seemed to
understand what my problem was or how it could be rectified. Finally I got
ahold of one lady who understood, said there was no problem however she needed
to transfer me to another person. After 30 minutes of being on hold I
cancelled my order.

I then received an email from Dell asking me to reconsider and sine I was such
an esteemed customer they would provide me with a $90 coupon to use if I
reordered. They asured me this problem would be rectified if I reordered.

And so I did. ANd the same problem has occurred. I've tried all day to
straighten this simple matter out and no one at Dell has the intelligence to
handle this simple transaction.

Dell is a hi-tech company building hi-tech computers but can not handle a
lo-tech transaction? LOL!

The customer service I have received from Dell over the past few days is the
worst I have ever encountered. It's almost laughable. So screw Dell. I've
just cancelled the second order and tomorrow I'll head down to the store, buy a
case, a power supply a motherboard and all the extras and build my own.

I'll probably be better off anyway.

Old February 21st 05, 06:29 AM
zippitydudu

Consider yourself lucky. I had an order get into a weird status and it took
me over 20 hours on the phone speaking to I don't know how many people in
various depts. only to be told nobody could fix the problem because nobody
had access to all of the information. Seems it required a conference call
between 2-3 people in various depts. to get it cleared. Your situation
seems like a scenario they should deal with many times a day. Sounds like
sheer incompetence on their part.

Old February 21st 05, 08:20 AM
Jerry Park

BigJim wrote:

I know people who charge automobiles on their cards, it is your fault for
having the limit.

Note also that requesting authorization for payment is not the same as
charging the account.

Old February 21st 05, 10:06 AM
Giovanni Azua

Hi Vandolay,

Last month I ordered a Precision 670 worth over $5000USD and because
of their mistake (they added an additional 20'' FP for free) they
put my order on-hold for more than one moth with my card already
charged from the first day. I had been through their customer
no-care madness for a month with my order cancelled and restarted
3 times!

DELL sales department sucks, DELL Customer no-care sucks even more,
and Technical support which is the best of the three I made a call the
other day and the technical person told me on the phone "Dear Giovanni
I can not give you an answer right now, do you know Google? please open
Google type your question and you will get lot of answers ... " really
insane!

an esteemed customer they would provide me with a $90 coupon to

The $90 coupon was nice, you could easily end up getting your PC for
free given they would (and they ussually do) repeat the same mistake
many times.

Regards,
Giovanni

Old February 21st 05, 10:29 AM
WSZsr

I have never heard of a daily limit on a Master Card. I have no daily
limits on any of the cards I hold.

Regards,

Jerry Seinfeld.

Old February 21st 05, 11:34 AM
Keith

Regardless of the CC limit, Dell sucks at customer service. I ordered an
Axim from them about 6 months ago. The unit arrived with no sync cable.
After 2 weeks of phone calls, I finally gave up and sent the thing back.
. com...

Old February 21st 05, 02:31 PM
Bea Xxxx

Reading these posts of what Dell can get away with really sickens me and
makes me so grateful I learned my lesson "before" purchasing. What is
worse about this is that Consumer Reports gives Dell great marks on
every facit including "Customer Service" or it seems with Dell it should
be "Customer DISservice".

I wrote to Consumer Reports about their report on Dell and how it was
misleading to people like myself trying to learn about companies. I
requested they do a recheck on Dell and write a new report giving us the
"real" truth about what is going on with Customer Service at Dell.
Maybe if some of you will take your anger and put it in some emails to
Consumer Reports or others who oversee these industries, we can at least
put out a notice to Dell that we aren't just sitting back allowing them
to get away with this type of Customer "Abuse". And yes, to me, it is
customer abuse to put people through this who entrust their hard earned
dollars to you.

Also, there is an old saying that for each "one" person who complains
there are 100 others who feel the same but stay silent. If this is
true, after all the negative posts against Dell I have been reading in
just 2 days, there are THOUSANDS of people who are very angry at Dell!
Dell needs to get its act together!

To whatever a "Delbot" is, I gather you are still "pro-Dell" if you
don't want us to be so upset with Dell, why don't YOU write to Dell and
tell them to look in to their ridiculous "no-Customer Service". I would
love to be able to buy that Dell computer but not from this type of
company. Thank you for your help in this matter.

Bea

Old February 21st 05, 03:25 PM
Tom J

"Bea Xxxx" wrote in message
Reading these posts of what Dell can get away with really sickens me
and
makes me so grateful I learned my lesson "before" purchasing. What
is
worse about this is that Consumer Reports gives Dell great marks on
every facit including "Customer Service" or it seems with Dell it
should
be "Customer DISservice".

If you let the post to this newsgroup sway you, more than Consumer
Reports, in what and where you buy computer supplies and equipment,
you are going to be making even bigger mistakes. Just go to any
non-moderated newsgroup dedicated to any service or product and you
see the newsgroup inundated with negative post. For every unhappy Dell
customer, there are 99 happy customers. You don't get to be #1 by
having every customer unhappy with you and your product.

The person that started this thread for example, would not have a
problem with Dell if he had his ducks in a row before he placed the
order. He knew his credit was not good enough to make such an
expensive purchase and he tried to make it anyway. Now he faults Dell
for his limited credit. If in fact the credit card company would OK
the total amount of the purchase, a single call to the credit card
company in advance of making the purchase would have gotten an OK for
a single specified charge.

I bought my 1st Dell over 4 years ago and my last Dell last November
and I have had no problems doing business with Dell, the same as the
majority of Dell's customers.

Tom J

Old February 21st 05, 03:35 PM
Giovanni Azua

I bought my 1st Dell over 4 years ago and my last Dell last November
and I have had no problems doing business with Dell, the same as the
majority of Dell's customers.

Could you please point to the survey web site where the majority
of Dell's customers express their complete satisfaction?