Dell is Sending Me a New Computer Comparible to What I Have Now

Old March 4th 09, 09:59 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Robert Wilson

Default Update...

When I got my Dell XPS M1530 I didn't find any shipping documentation or
configuration inside the box, BUT, after looking more carefully on the
cardboard box exterior, I found a pasted-on label that, when carefully
removed at the peforations, revealed that information! As Tim stated, I
also recovered the information using the service tag at their website.

"Timothy Drouillard" wrote in
:

Monica, there should be a Dell service tag somewhere on the case. I
don't remember where, and mine is at home.

Find the service tag ID, then go to Dell's web site, to the support
section, plug in the service tag and you should be able to bring up a
sheet that shows the complete original configuration of that
particular system.

You can also find the service tag if you enter the BIOS setup (hit F2
at boot).

Old March 4th 09, 10:15 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Timothy Drouillard[_2_]

Monica, there are also several free programs you can download and run that
will report an internal inventory of your system.

Such as....

47...

Old March 5th 09, 03:47 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Monica

Entered the Service Tag number and got "no information available". I've
got some of the configuration info from tech support.
All of it is not available yet....has to do with this being a refurbished
model. Original ship date was Jan 08 so it's only a year old. There is a
VIIV sticker on the front.
Not familar with that. Googled it. Marketing hoopla? Core 2 Quad Core
6600 2.4GHz, 3MB 667 RAM, 8MB L2 Cache, (integrated) SigmaTel HD Audio Codec
(have no idea how that compares to my Audigy 2 card), ATI Radeon HD 2400 vid
card, 320MB hdd (double the
size of the 8400). It all seems to be a sizeable improvement over the
8400. The little sidebar window feature on top of the box....I don't get it
Looks nice but could they have put the money elsewhere?

*My current system has
4- 1GB 240-PIN DIMM 128Mx64 DDR2 PC2-4200 UNBUFFERED. All I know of the new
is 3MB 667 RAM. Is that enough information to be able to compare the two
sets? Which would be better?
**About "downgrading" from Vista to XP SP3. Could I expect to run into some
driver or compatibility issues. I have the XP SP2 OS cd that came with the
8400. I've had one ts agent tell me it wouldn't install on a different
computer. Another said it would.

That was an interesting read about all the other Dimension 8400s that have
had the (or some of the) same problems. I really didn't expect anyone to
believe me when I said the fan/power supply sounded like jet about to take
off Thank goodness I bought the extra warranty when I purchased the
system. I didn't even realize it was still under warranty. Think I'll have
them troubleshoot the speaker problem since I'm covered for two more months.

"Timothy Drouillard" wrote in message
Monica, there should be a Dell service tag somewhere on the case. I don't
remember where, and mine is at home.

Find the service tag ID, then go to Dell's web site, to the support
section, plug in the service tag and you should be able to bring up a
sheet that shows the complete original configuration of that particular
system.

You can also find the service tag if you enter the BIOS setup (hit F2 at
boot).

The 420's are very nice systems even when using the integrated audio.
Intergrated audio has come a long way in the last year or three.

"Monica" wrote in message
FedEx just delivered a XPS 420. Nothing in the box that states the
configuration. No packing slip, nothing. There are 4 sticks of memory.
Pulled one. It was a 1gb stick. I'm assuming the others are too. The
outside of the system is a mess with smudges that won't come off and
scratches. Came with Vista....someone didn't get the XP memo! Here are
two links to pictures I took of the mobo and what I think is the video
card. Maybe someone can identify them please? Sound cared must be
integrated Back when I made it my business to know all this stuff,
"integrated" wasn't good. My 8400 has an Audigy 2 card with 5.1 surround
sound. I'll call Dell later and try to muddle thru 50 different
non-American speaking agents and hope to get less than 50 different
answers
Monica
http://www.pbase.com/monicakm/image/109839099
http://www.pbase.com/monicakm/image/109839327

"BillW50" wrote in message
In ,
Monica typed on Tue, 3 Mar 2009 08:24:54 -0600:
Some of what I'm reading about the PFN_List_Corrupt points to bad
memory sticks. Last summer, I replaced the two 512 sticks and maxed
the system out with 4 1GB sticks. Where would (or would it) the
system indicate bad memory if that was the problem? In Setup before
entering Windows?

Well considering you saw smoke, that hints that there was too much
current in one or more components. The true blame of why is unknown
right now. But the memory could be one cause for sure.

I wouldn't try swapping the memory out with other memory. Because there
is a chance that anything you plug in can blow as well. You can inspect
the memory though and smell it. As that is what might has smoked. You
are going to have to take them out anyway to return your computer under
warrantee anyway, right?

--
Bill
2 Gateway MX6124 - Windows XP SP2

Old March 5th 09, 04:18 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

legally the cd can not be used on another pc. techinially, it absolutely
can. should it be a very old dell branded cd then it would not have sata
hard disk controller drivers and that would translate into it not 'seeing'
your hard drive. the solution is to download the drivers and put them on a
floppy and when you first start installing xp press f6 when prompted to
provide additional drivers... if you don't have a floppy disk there are
ways around this but first things first... see if your dell branded windows
xp cd loads the sata drivers. you will not have to activate windows if you
boot from the dell xp cd prior to installing... before you start it is a
good idea to know what you have in the system (stews sugestion of entering
the bios to get a summary is the best approach) then visit support.dell.com
to download all the drivers. i download them and then put them all on a cd
or usb drive. i rename them as i down them but adding a descruption of the
type of driver (ie if it is called 'r93284.exe', i might call it 'video -
r93284.eve' so you know what it is). after windows is installed first apply
the chipset, then anything else, but typically starting with the video so
you can see things better, then audio, network, modem, etc until your are
done. then application software like dvd player and/or recording software,
windows updates (repeatedly until no more updates available), antivirus,
then your application programs... good luck.

Old March 5th 09, 05:07 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_2_]

"BillW50" wrote in message
[...]

FYI, the Dell XP SP2 CD that came with your 8400 is aware of SATA
drives, because it is SP2. Microsoft slipstreamed SATA support into SP2
after all the name brand manufacturers complained loudly about the lack
of SATA support in Classic XP (what else can you call the original
except classic?) and XP SP1. So the bottom line is that technically it
will install OK onto the XPS 420. Thereafter, you need to go to the
Dell web site and download the drivers for the XPS 420.

Unfortunately for you, there are no XP drivers on the Dell web site for
the XPS 420, so all you can do is try installing the Vista drivers on
XP. However, the Intel chipset, STAC audio, Intel Ethernet, and
whatever video driver for the video card should install with no problem,
as they are packaged to install on more than one Windows operating
system... Ben Myers
Old March 5th 09, 09:54 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Geoff[_6_]

Monica wrote:
Entered the Service Tag number and got "no information available". I've
got some of the configuration info from tech support.
All of it is not available yet....has to do with this being a refurbished
model. Original ship date was Jan 08 so it's only a year old. There is a
VIIV sticker on the front.
Not familar with that. Googled it. Marketing hoopla? Core 2 Quad Core
6600 2.4GHz, 3MB 667 RAM, 8MB L2 Cache, (integrated) SigmaTel HD Audio Codec
(have no idea how that compares to my Audigy 2 card), ATI Radeon HD 2400 vid
card, 320MB hdd (double the
size of the 8400). It all seems to be a sizeable improvement over the
8400. The little sidebar window feature on top of the box....I don't get it
Looks nice but could they have put the money elsewhere?

considering it replaces a p4, i'd say that rocks

the sound card, creative have a bad reputation
you *could* take the card out your old pc and put it in the new one,
personaly i wouldn't bother, the SigmaTel thing is much better
imo
Old March 5th 09, 02:43 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Timothy Drouillard[_2_]

Monica, IIRC, the VIIV sticker refers to some features of the Intel chipset
functions, but I don't recall just what. Ignore it. Like you say, it's more
marketing hoopla than anything for most of us.

Overall, the 420 should be a definate improvement over the 8400 in most
ways.

I wouldn't worry about the fact that your 8400 had 4gig of ram where the 420
has 'only' 3gig. Vista 32-bit and XP will only recongnize around 3.2-3.5 gig
anyway. The newer ram is DDR2, so it's faster than the ram in the 8400 i
believe.

As far as the LCD screen on top of the case, I agree as will most people,
it's just another marketing gimmick we could have done without. It's pretty
useless in the real world. My 420 sits on the floor under the desk anyway,
so I can't see the LCD screen If I wanted to, and it's be too far away to
read as well.

As I mentioned before, the integrated sound should easily equal the
performance of the Audigy 2 in most regards. try it, I think you'll be quite
satisfied.

As far as installing Xp on the 420, as others have pointed out, legally, you
can't use the old XP CD. That copy of XP is licensed to the 8400 forever
since it's an OEM version.

Physically, yes it'll work just fine in the 420. I would imagine that you
should be able to do a google search on the web and find the drivers you'd
need to install XP on the 420 even though I don't believe they're on the
Dell site. I'd bet that there are plenty of other people out there that have
installed XP on their 420 rather than Vista.

I usually play around with trying the various OS's on my PC's, but I
honestly don't recall if I ever tried XP on it. I've had most flavors of
Vista both 32-bit and 64-bit on it, as well as Windows 7 64-bit, but I still
end up using the original copy of Vista Home Premium 32-bit that it came
with.

Enjoy.

Old March 5th 09, 08:44 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Brian K

"Timothy Drouillard" wrote in message

Physically, yes it'll work just fine in the 420.

I have no experience with this situation and I'd be interested to know if
Monica's WinXP will activate over the internet. I'd expect it won't and you
will need to call Microsoft. What do you say?