OT Freeware Partition software

Old November 14th 08, 12:07 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR[_2_]

Default OT Freeware Partition software

On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 11:21:25 GMT, "Tom Scales"

Old November 14th 08, 01:03 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
olfart

wrote:

[...]

another solution, which I have done, is to make an .iso of each of my
installation CD's. When I need one in a hurry and don't feel like digging
one out, I just burn one....only costs a few cents. I have almost 40gb of CD
..iso files. Don't forget to put the validation key on a text doc in the
folder with the .iso. Also...saves wear and tear on the original

Old November 14th 08, 02:49 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR[_2_]

On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 08:03:19 -0500, "olfart"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

Thanks olfart for the good advice.
I wonder if I can launch the .iso's from my thumb drive to install?
Probably need some portable software like Nero??? I guess I can
experiment to find out grin. Do you know of any good portable
software to launch the iso's from a thumb drive? Later I'll google
around and see what I find out. I'm kinda busy right now getting
ready to format and reinstall software including the OS on my laptop.
Just finished setting up my daughter's new laptop. Mine is running a
tad slow even with tweaks so a new clean registry would help a lot
more but it will take me a while because I want to be sure my backup
is stable before I proceed. I use this for personal business so I
don't want to lose stuff.

Let me know if you have any suggestion for portable iso software.
Thanks again for the advice. Worth noting.
Old November 14th 08, 03:22 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
BillW50

Colin Wilson wrote on Thu, 13 Nov 2008 15:34:37 -0000:
Ranish Partition Manager has been around for years, never used it
though...
http://www.ranish.com/part/

Ahh, forget that...

"RPM can only create/boot an NTFS partition. No formatting/resizing
can be done through RPM."

For free, I like "EASEUS Partition Manager Personal". It also runs from
BartPE on a memory stick as well.

http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm

--
Bill
Asus EEE PC 8GB 1GB SoDIMM Adata 16GB
Old November 14th 08, 03:54 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
olfart

"RnR" wrote in message
On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 08:03:19 -0500, "olfart"
wrote:

. ..

wrote:

[...]

AFAIK you would have to burn the .iso to a CD or DVD to use it since the
..iso is just an image of the original CD. I'm sure there are other in the
group who know more about doing what you want.

Old November 14th 08, 04:00 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR[_2_]

On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 10:54:00 -0500, "olfart"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

I just found a portable version of winrar that says it extracts iso's
but I don't know if that will install the iso without trying it. I
know years ago I used virtual cd drives on my hard drive which could
install any software as if it was on a cd from there. I will have to
experiment a bit (nothing really new to me from many years ago) to
find out. I wouldn't mind having a virtual drive on my thumb drive
but I have no idea if that is available but sure would be handy
because then you'd have no need for a cd or dvd drive g. I'll
google around to see if it exists.

Appreciate your help or ideas !! Even if you don't know the answer
you sparked ideas in my head. thanks.
Old November 14th 08, 07:56 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
BillW50

olfart wrote on Fri, 14 Nov 2008 10:54:00 -0500:

AFAIK you would have to burn the .iso to a CD or DVD to use it since the
.iso is just an image of the original CD. I'm sure there are other in the
group who know more about doing what you want.

There are CD/DVD emulators out there. I think some even use .iso files.
I never used them myself. Wait a minute! I used Bart's pe2usb to make
bootable flash drives from .iso images. Although it works for BartPE,
WinPE, and I believe for Windows Install. I don't know if it works for
others though.

Old November 15th 08, 01:19 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Star@*.*

"Ben Myers" wrote in message
Tom Scales wrote:
I need to repartition a boot drive on an XP Pro laptop. Any

suggestions
of freeware to do it?

Thanks,

Tom

Here you go, Tom. Cute Partition Manager:

http://www.cutepm.com/

... Ben Myers

check out gParted at http://gparted.sourceforge.net/

I think I should have been more clear.

I need to NON-DESTRUCTIVELY repartition.

Can't see how either tool does that.

Tom

I have used the Gparted program and Partition Magic Ver 8. They are
both non-destructive (keep fingers crossed)
Since you have data on the drives I hope you are going on holiday and
can leave the system running. If the drive were bare the both programs
are quick the edge going to Partition Magic.
I repartitioned a 250G HDD with about 30G of data using Gparted and
the process took over one hour to complete. (Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
and SATA II Hdd.
Not sure what you have for backup usage or amount of data involved but
you would probably find it quicker to backup, partition and restore.

YMMV

Art

Old November 15th 08, 01:35 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Star@*.*

"Ben Myers" wrote in message
Tom Scales wrote:
I need to repartition a boot drive on an XP Pro laptop. Any

suggestions
of freeware to do it?

Thanks,

Tom

Here you go, Tom. Cute Partition Manager:

http://www.cutepm.com/

... Ben Myers

check out gParted at http://gparted.sourceforge.net/

I think I should have been more clear.

I need to NON-DESTRUCTIVELY repartition.

Can't see how either tool does that.

Tom

More info now that I used more of my 70 year old brain.
As you are a user of large HDDs I have found that Partition Magic
Ver 8 barfs on drives greater than 500G don't know about Gparted.
Also found that Partition Magic Ver 8 barfs on Vista if the HDD was
formated by Vista works OK on HDD formated by XP.
Also as a user of RAID on some of your systems most any partition
program will have extreme problems on a RAID system.

Art

Old November 15th 08, 01:38 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Star@*.*

wrote:

another solution, which I have done, is to make an .iso of each of my
installation CD's. When I need one in a hurry and don't feel like digging
one out, I just burn one....only costs a few cents. I have almost 40gb of CD
.iso files. Don't forget to put the validation key on a text doc in the
folder with the .iso. Also...saves wear and tear on the original

Good idea that I never thought of. I always use a copy of my original
disk but of course if the copy goes away I still have to use the
original to make a new copy.
Thanks for the idea.

Art