NexStar LX network drive connection problem

Old August 29th 06, 01:05 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Mardon

Default NexStar LX network drive connection problem

I can not get my home network to recognize a Vantec NexStar LX
network drive that I purchased yesterday. The drive woks fine when
connected directly to a computer via USB. My network is wired CAT-5
and consists of a LinkSys BEFSR41 router with 2 Windows desktops, one
network printer 1 hub and 2 connections for notebooks plus, soon I
hope, the network drive that I'm trying to install. I do not use
DHCP but assign static ip addresses and run a workgroup named DOGS.
Yea, I like dogs and assign breed names to the network devices.

I use Trend Micro Internet Security that includes a firewall that I
generally have active but I've turned it off for the drive
installation just to reduce the number of variables. The windows
firewall is off. I know the cable that I'm connecting to the network
drive is good because it works fine when I plug it into a computer.

The Vantec instructions are pretty minimal. After using a straight
through patch cable to connect the drive, they say to log in to the
drive's server by typing "STORAGE" in my browser. It also says if
more than one device is connected at the same time, to type STORAGE-
xxxx where xxxx is the last four digits of the drive's MAC address.
Mine drive's MAC address is 00:012::OO:06:0E.

The drive does not show up in windows explorer under "Entire
Network". I can not open it in the browser per the instructions nor
can I open it via "RUN" by entering the STORAGE name. I can not ping
the name STORAGE nor STORGAE-060E.

Suggestions of getting this drive to connect to my network would be
greatly appreciated. TIA.

Old August 29th 06, 04:59 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Mardon

I have a bit of further info to add to my OP.

I installed some ip tools software on my PC and the ip traffic shows
that the drive is sending out packets periodically. The LAN light on
the NextStar LX drive is on all the time but it occasionally blinks.
Each of the high peaks shown on this screen capture of the ip traffic
monitor (see http://www.justus.ca/traffic.jpg) coincides exactly with
the time that the light blinks on the NAS drive. Hoping this extra
bit of info may help someone diagnose my problem.
Old August 30th 06, 02:33 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Mardon

Default FIXED - Was: NexStar LX network drive connection problem

Mardon wrote:

FYI of anyone interested. The problem was that the default ip built
into the drive (169.254.0.1) was a differnet subnet than my home
network, which is 192.168.1.xxx. I had to change one computer to the
169.254 subnet so that I could connect to the network drive and
change its ip to my LAN subnet. After that, I changed the computer
back and all is working OK.
Old August 31st 06, 07:06 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
John Turco

Mardon wrote:

Mardon wrote:

FYI of anyone interested. The problem was that the default ip built
into the drive (169.254.0.1) was a differnet subnet than my home
network, which is 192.168.1.xxx. I had to change one computer to the
169.254 subnet so that I could connect to the network drive and
change its ip to my LAN subnet. After that, I changed the computer
back and all is working OK.

Hello, Mardon:

Thanks! Your info might help others, with the same problem.

Cordially,
John Turco

How Can I Get A Shell Prompt On The Toshiba IK-WB11A Wireless Larry Dighera Webcams 5 December 24th 06 10:13 PM
Hard Drive Temperature Nehmo General 36 October 27th 05 12:35 AM
Removable Drive Bays Rod Speed Storage (alternative) 35 January 3rd 04 08:31 PM
Need *HELP* retrieving data off failed hard drive - sources of info greatly appreciated Stellijer Storage (alternative) 36 December 19th 03 07:53 PM