P5WD2 Premium WiFi-Tv - FM receiver only works for a few minutes

Old June 20th 05, 01:50 AM
doug

Default P5WD2 Premium WiFi-Tv - FM receiver only works for a few minutes

Just got a P5WD2 with the WiFi-Tv option. Running it with 840 Pentium D
(3.2 ghz), 2 Gigs of DDR2 800 ram, and a single SATA drive. I know this
is a brand new board and it's likey not many are using it yet. But just
in case anyone else has it I'll ask. TV and WiFi part of the optional
PCI card appear to work fine. If I use the 'FM radio' part it works for
a few minutes then dies with just static. Quiting and restarting
'PowerCinema' does not get the FM radio working again. If I reboot of
course it starts again and runs for a few minutes then dies. If I switch
to 'analog' TV, then switch back to FM radio it starts working again.
There are no BIOS updates nor WiFi-Tv driver updates available on ASUS's
site. I'm hoping this is just a driver/bios issue that they will address
in an update.

Any suggestions?

Old June 20th 05, 01:57 AM
Bob Byrne

Hello doug you wrote:

Just got a P5WD2 with the WiFi-Tv option. Running it with 840 Pentium D
(3.2 ghz), ......

Don't you mean 640?

--
Regards, Bob

Old June 20th 05, 02:46 AM
doug

Nope it's an 840 dual core, Pentium D. One other oddity to note, after
post when the bios lists all devices, memory, etc. You get the countdown
from 9 and the message hit esc to boot without waiting. Hitting
esc at that point does nothing. Matter of fact the keyboard 'appears'
to be frozen and even if you hit ctrl+alt+del it doesn't reboot till it
finishes the countdown!

Bob Byrne wrote:
Don't you mean 640?

Old June 20th 05, 03:02 AM

doug wrote:

Just got a P5WD2 with the WiFi-Tv option. Running it with 840 Pentium D
(3.2 ghz), 2 Gigs of DDR2 800 ram, and a single SATA drive. I know this
is a brand new board and it's likey not many are using it yet. But just
in case anyone else has it I'll ask. TV and WiFi part of the optional
PCI card appear to work fine. If I use the 'FM radio' part it works for
a few minutes then dies with just static. Quiting and restarting
'PowerCinema' does not get the FM radio working again. If I reboot of
course it starts again and runs for a few minutes then dies. If I switch
to 'analog' TV, then switch back to FM radio it starts working again.
There are no BIOS updates nor WiFi-Tv driver updates available on ASUS's
site. I'm hoping this is just a driver/bios issue that they will address
in an update.

Any suggestions?

Have you tried using it in a different PCI slot? Sometimes certain
slots share resources with other things that might cause problems, so
it should be worth a try.

I was thinking of getting one of these boards myself, and I wanted to
be able to dual-boot Win98SE and WinXP. Would you mind checking the
driver CD that came with it to see if there are any Win98SE drivers on
it (or maybe it lists OS requirements on the box)? I noticed that
Intel does not have any downloadable 955x chipset drivers for Win98SE,
so I'm thinking that Win98SE may not work with this board.

Old June 20th 05, 03:21 AM
doug

Looking through the cd I see no drivers for win98. Only win 2000, xp,
2003 server, and linux. So it looks like you'd be out of luck with 98se.
I was thinking of moving the card to another pci slot, I'm in slot 3 now
which appears to be the least shared. I'll try the other two to see if
this resolves it. Thanks

Old June 20th 05, 03:35 AM

doug wrote:

Looking through the cd I see no drivers for win98. Only win 2000, xp,
2003 server, and linux. So it looks like you'd be out of luck with 98se.

OK, thanks. I may go for the P5AD2-E then. I'll have to wait till my
next upgrade to consider a dual-core processor (or whatever they have
by that time).

Old July 14th 05, 09:03 AM
boseefus

I have the exact same problem with the FM Tuner portion of the WiFi-TV
card... Well, except mine only lasts for about 15 seconds before I get
the static.

I happened to be on the phone with ASUS last night about something
completely un-related, but I mentioned it to them and they said they'd
let the right support people know. You might just call them to let
them know you're having the same issues. They said to keep an eye on
their website for updates (duh), but other than that they couldn't help
me much since the product is still fairly new.

Oh well, the P5WD2 board still works great and the WiFi and TV part of
the add-on card are OK. My only other complaint is the Cyberlink suite
that comes with the WiFi-TV card, it's a little cheesy. I also don't
think they provide a standard WDM capture driver with the WiFi-TV
board, so using other software for video capture becomes more
complicated. I haven't fully investigated that issue though.