Sound stutters in SB Live! Value

Old July 8th 03, 02:36 AM
Folk

Default Sound stutters in SB Live! Value

On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 23:26:10 GMT, "Matt"
wrote:

"() ()" wrote in message
Recently in my games, the sound stutters every now and then. Sometimes I
loose sound completely for 3-4 seconds. Anyone know what's going on here?
Running Win XP

It's an issue with whats call bus mastering. You soundcard needs to be moved
to a bus mastered slot. Other cards(AGP ex) are using too much bandwidth on
the AGP/PCI bus. This can also be a result of a slow CPU/mem config. Read
the manual for your diagram of the motherboard PCI slots. Usually you want
the PCI soundcard in the second PCI slot down from your AGP slot with
nothing in the first PCI slot.

With a modern OS like XP, which slot something is in is less an issue
that it was before. In many XP installations, virtually all devices
are sharing a single IRQ, regardless of PCI slot.

I would suspect either a recent driver upgrade, (video driver hogging
the PCI bus) or even something as simple as the sound card isn't
seated properly. Some of the old SBLive's had lousy brackets... I had
one that if I screwed down the retaining screw, it pulled up from the
back. I fixed it by leaving off the screw. G

Old July 8th 03, 05:13 AM
Matt

"() ()" wrote in message
So if the video card is hogging the bus how can i fix the problem?
snip

As I said before. Make sure your soundcard is in a busmaster-capable slot.
Preferably PCI slot #2. To help any further I will need to know what brand
and model of motherboard that you have. Some older motherboards can't handle
XP all that well.

Old July 8th 03, 04:38 PM
Matt

"() ()" wrote in message
PCI Slot 4 (PCI bus 0, device 9, function 0)
Asus P2B

Oh yeah. That board is very old. It's time to upgrade to socket 7 AMD or
Intel without ISA slots. Besides it doesn't support APIC and or ACPI version
1.1. Your going to have problems anyway you try to move the card as XP
doesn't support that motherboard.

It's way past time to upgrade.

Matt

Old July 8th 03, 04:43 PM
Matt

"Matt" wrote in message

"() ()" wrote in message
PCI Slot 4 (PCI bus 0, device 9, function 0)
Asus P2B

Oh yeah. That board is very old. It's time to upgrade to socket 7 AMD or
Intel without ISA slots. Besides it doesn't support APIC and or ACPI

version
1.1. Your going to have problems anyway you try to move the card as XP
doesn't support that motherboard.

It's way past time to upgrade.

Matt

I meant Socket A for AMD not socket 7. That board is a Slot A board. Very
old.

Old July 8th 03, 05:27 PM
Folk

On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 23:07:02 -0400, "\(\) \(\)" wrote:

So if the video card is hogging the bus how can i fix the problem?

What video card do you have? Have you changed video drivers lately?
Can you think of anything else that has changed since you started
experiencing the problem?

Old July 8th 03, 07:17 PM
Temor

Matt,
While you are on a roll...can you suggest if the same stuttering issue
would show itself on a W2K setup. I have a SB Digital 5.1 Live! board
slotted into an Abit BD7-11 mobo. At the moment it is slotted into PCI
32-bit Bus 2, device 2, function 0. Using Sisoft Sandra it would appear to
share that bus with a 3Com Ethernet card (device 4) and the onboard mobo
Ethernet chip as device 5.

The stuff on Bus 1 (AGP) is only the GF3 Ti500 graphics card, and Bus 0
(PCI) has USB controller chip and mobo bridge chips showing against it.

I get stuttering, but more significantly cut-off of played online ingame
sounds (like gunshots in DoD, etc).

Any suggestions would be appreciated

regards

temor

Old July 9th 03, 12:01 AM
Matt

"Temor" wrote in message
Matt,
While you are on a roll...can you suggest if the same stuttering issue
would show itself on a W2K setup. I have a SB Digital 5.1 Live! board
slotted into an Abit BD7-11 mobo. At the moment it is slotted into PCI
32-bit Bus 2, device 2, function 0. Using Sisoft Sandra it would appear to
share that bus with a 3Com Ethernet card (device 4) and the onboard mobo
Ethernet chip as device 5.

The stuff on Bus 1 (AGP) is only the GF3 Ti500 graphics card, and Bus 0
(PCI) has USB controller chip and mobo bridge chips showing against it.

I get stuttering, but more significantly cut-off of played online ingame
sounds (like gunshots in DoD, etc).

Any suggestions would be appreciated

regards

temor

Make sure you have the latest service pack for W2K and the latest DirectX.
Also reseat the soundcard and uninstall/reinstall the drivers. Get back here
if that doesn't solve the problem.

Matt