SB Live platinum and AC3 DD via SPDIF

Old July 5th 03, 06:58 PM
Careco

Default SB Live platinum and AC3 DD via SPDIF

Platform XP, SBLive (pre 5.1)
On a clean install of XP I can get Dolby Digital via SPdif to output to
DTT2500 speakers no prob (using the generic XP drivers) however when I
install the apps and new drivers (Livedrivepac from creative website )I can
no longer get the DD via SPdif to work, only analogue out works (using Power
DVD).

I have installed newest drivers and the XP patch to no avail.
I want to use the appz that come with the drivers.
How come I lose DD everytime???

Answers and suggestions anyone?

Old July 7th 03, 08:25 PM
Bendit

Just a thought here. Did you check the digital output checkbox in
audioHQ ?

(either way, PowerDVD should be set to SPDIF-OUT mode)

do you even see that checkbox ? (trying to see if the drivers are even
offering you that feature or if you have the 'value' edition drivers
installed)

what version of PowerDVD are you using?

Old July 8th 03, 06:30 PM
Careco

Everything was working fine with the generic XP drivers SPDIF output was
lost when the Creative drivers were used

"Bendit" wrote in message
om...
Just a thought here. Did you check the digital output checkbox in
audioHQ ?

Yes
(either way, PowerDVD should be set to SPDIF-OUT mode)

do you even see that checkbox ? (trying to see if the drivers are even
offering you that feature or if you have the 'value' edition drivers
installed)

what version of PowerDVD are you using?

4

Enable SPDIF = deadly silence
switch to 2 speaker mode = sound

Solution?

Creative, where are the drivers that work?

Old July 16th 03, 01:32 PM
Neil Deadman

Which version of these drivers?

"Michael" wrote in message
om...
"Careco" wrote in message

Everything was working fine with the generic XP drivers SPDIF output was
lost when the Creative drivers were used

"Bendit" wrote in message
om...
Just a thought here. Did you check the digital output checkbox in
audioHQ ?

Yes
(either way, PowerDVD should be set to SPDIF-OUT mode)

do you even see that checkbox ? (trying to see if the drivers are even
offering you that feature or if you have the 'value' edition drivers
installed)

what version of PowerDVD are you using?

4

Enable SPDIF = deadly silence
switch to 2 speaker mode = sound

Solution?

Creative, where are the drivers that work?

Creative claims there is no problem. There was a thread on this awhile
ago, as I had the same issues.
Spent hours with creative after installing new drivers. Extremely rude
and unhelpful, ie, "YOU must have changed something and not told
me"(from the, ahem, so called tech.)

Solution: use the old drivers, which I got from File Planet.

Old July 19th 03, 10:09 AM
Careco

Thanks,

Downloaded drivers from Fileplanet, now got AC3 back through SPDIF

Creative support??? why bother.

Brism

"Neil Deadman" wrote in message
Which version of these drivers?

"Michael" wrote in message
om...
"Careco" wrote in message

Everything was working fine with the generic XP drivers SPDIF output

was
lost when the Creative drivers were used

om...

Old July 20th 03, 06:18 AM
chaferd

I have the exact same problem. I have a dual boot system with XP and 2000.
With back to back boot-ups, SPDIF out works in 2000 but not in XP with the
latest drivers from the creative site. I'm downloading the drivers from
fileplanet now, hopefully they will fix this garbage.

Old July 21st 03, 02:21 AM
chaferd

After installing the drivers off of fileplanet, SPDIF actually works for me
in XP. I haven't experienced a reset while attempting to use PowerDVD.
Make sure that you have digital output only and spdif bypass on. Other than
that, all I can think of is to try re-installing some software....

"Neil Deadman" wrote in message
I downloaded (what I hope was the correct drivers from fileplanet) and
installed them. When I switched PowerDVD to SPDIF Out when ever I play a

DVD
or similar source it resets my PC. Any ideas??

Its fine with 2-ch out.

Neil

Old July 24th 03, 04:05 PM
Avidous

I was also having major problems with reboots, and n checking creatives site
I found an obscure reference to a rather obvious problem.

Since the newer mainboards do not have ISA slots, the BIOS is defaulted to
having the IRQ's set for PCI PNP control. But since the Sound Blaster cards
use IRQ 5 for legacy support, you have to change the BIOS IRQ 5 control to
legacy.

Old July 25th 03, 07:59 PM
Wayne Youngman

Hi,

I just realised that my DD5:1/AC3 output has stopped working under WinXP as
well since using the 5MB (ish) patch from creative. Has anyone resolved this
issue yet, maybe its related to the DVD software, I use InterVideo WinDVD
Platinum. I will have to re-read the threads to find out more about a fix.
..

Wayne ][