All-in-ones (w fax) versus answering machines

Old July 3rd 03, 08:24 PM
JXStern

Default All-in-ones (w fax) versus answering machines

Another question about the all-in-ones (that include a fax). As far
as outgoing faxes, I see no problem, but for incoming faxes, is there
a problem if you also want to put an answering machine on the same
line?

Is this best fixed with a distinctive-ring feature (or a second line,
of course!)

Thanks.

Josh

Old July 4th 03, 03:09 AM
JXStern

On Thu, 3 Jul 2003 19:03:28 -0700, "Bob Headrick"
wrote:
Generally the way it is supposed to work is that the answering machine is
downstream of the fax. The fax is set to pick up after more rings than the
answering machine. When a call comes in the answering machine pickup up, the
fax listens in for the fax tones. If the fax tones are detected the fax hangs
up on the answering machine and takes the fax. If the answering machine is
relatively well behaved it will hang up and not take a message if the line
hangs up before the outgoing message is completed. The length of the answering
machine message may need to be set to at least some minimum to get the fax
enough time to do its thing.

Regards,

(smacks own forehead)

Of course, if the phone is hooked to the "fax", it can hang up the
answering machine.

Thanks.

Josh

Old July 5th 03, 05:16 AM

On Thu, 3 Jul 2003 19:03:28 -0700, "Bob Headrick"
wrote:

"JXStern" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Hey Bob, would you happen to know if HP has any intention of
developing a laser based MFC like the old Brother 970MC machines that
have fax/scanner/copier/answearing machine amd speakephone in one
unit? I have the old Brother in my home office and love it but would
really like to update to a laser model with all the above. Sure would
be nice if HP came out with such a device at a reasonable cost. I'd be
first in line.:-)

Frank

Old compaq machines Julian Hales General 3 October 30th 04 07:27 AM
PROBLEM! registered versus unbuffered ECC sdram pc133 smayhew Homebuilt PC's 2 October 21st 04 05:31 PM
Dell Dimension 2400 Desktop versus the 4600? Phred Dell Computers 6 June 17th 04 12:50 AM
difference in onboard SATA RAID versus card George General 3 March 1st 04 07:20 PM
P4C800 - Deluxe ->> build 3 machines with this.. but 2 beep.. :/ Eric B Asus Motherboards 4 July 23rd 03 06:45 PM