TOR - do YOU use it for illegal activity? Here's a WARNING!

Old September 9th 14, 12:18 AM posted to alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Jax[_4_]

Default TOR - do YOU use it for illegal activity? Here's a WARNING!

Dustin wrote in
4.90:

Graham Morgan wrote in
:

Dustin wrote in news:XnsA3A1B622236E5B7Z317AGDTEHHI8AJ283@
94.75.214.90 to alt.politics.scorched-earth:

You know what I laugh most about you doing this? The damage
you're causing to the plugin connector. Not to mention the surge
you're providing the electronics every single time you power it
back up. I'm loving it. You're slowly ****ing your own equipment
up and don't even realize it, despite all that training you
have. I'm loving it.

I don't think inrush current is an issue for a modem. Its DC
going through a separate P/S and its not a inductive load.

All true, but think about the capacitors bro. If the power
supply is disconnected, they eventually complete discharge. When
you reintroduce power, you get a tiny surge for a millisecond or
two (not exact, so dun troll me for having a guess. heh). Start up
drain is always higher than run current, as you know.

Dustin..... David probably switches off his PC and cable modem
equally frequently and that is perhaps once or twice a day.

Are you really saying that this amount of switching on and off is
exessive and may cause significant damage to 'capacitor' components
in a modem or PC? Graham doesn't seem to think so.

Are you exaggerating the danger in order to be nasty to David? Just
wondering!

--
Jax
Old September 9th 14, 08:04 PM posted to alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.comp.freeware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Jax[_4_]

OG38 wrote in
:

On 09/09/2014 12:36 PM, p-0''0-h the cat (ES) wrote:

On Tue, 9 Sep 2014 16:20:04 +0000 (UTC), Dustin
wrote:

Graham Morgan wrote in
:

Dustin wrote in news:XnsA3A1B622236E5B7Z317AGDTEHHI8AJ283@
94.75.214.90 to alt.politics.scorched-earth:

You know what I laugh most about you doing this? The damage
you're causing to the plugin connector. Not to mention the surge
you're providing the electronics every single time you power it
back up. I'm loving it. You're slowly ****ing your own equipment
up and don't even realize it, despite all that training you
have. I'm loving it.

I don't think inrush current is an issue for a modem. Its DC
going through a separate P/S and its not a inductive load.

I understand why too. That cute power supply that you plug in;
is powered by AC current. It has a stepdown transformer and some
electronics to convert it to a switching DC based power supply.
You don't have to take my word for it though, feel free to
rapidly turn your gear off and on until the magic smoke comes
out. Stupid f*cker.

Well I've never tried standing there switching my PC on and off
rapidly until smoke comes out. I bow to your greater knowledge
and trust you didn't hurt yourself when collecting the empirical
evidence of what can happen to stupid ****ers who engage in such
activities. Did you record the mean number of flicky on off's you
needed to create smoke? I suspect that doesn't happen nowadays as
modern switching PSU's have all kinds of built in protection but
I'm not au fait with PC one's.

Awaiting your statistics for mean number of flicky on/off's
required with anticipation.

Butt-in:
I have an Old HP PC still running like a charm, and it is tied in
with my gateway on the power strip. I am in and out of the
computer room off and on all day.
When I leave the room everything gets powered down.
This may happen up to 6-10 times a day.
Been doing this for 10-12 years and nothing has gone wrong yet.
Do you think I should start to worry. Or change my habits.

OG you carry on as you have been doing..... everything is just fine.
I calculate you have disproved Dustin's theory over 30,000 times.
(Based on an average of 8 times a day for 11 years.)

Practise always beats theory!

--
Jax
Old September 9th 14, 08:10 PM posted to alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.comp.freeware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
p-0''0-h the cat (ES)

On Tue, 09 Sep 2014 18:47:21 +0100, Jax
wrote:

"p-0''0-h the cat (ES)" wrote in
:

On Tue, 09 Sep 2014 17:53:14 +0100, Jax
wrote:

I notice you didn't re-insert the newsgroup jax inserted (they'd
back me up),

Done it now weenie.

Dustin I had widened this discussion to include a PC hardware
group..... but as soon I had done that, you removed that group in
your reply!

You didn't want to discuss this topic with people more
knowledgeable about hardware than you.

What a weenie. What group did he drop Jax?

Pooh Cat.... I added the group alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt to
allow those folks to comment on Dustin's claims.

Seems Dustin didn't like them joining the discussion. I wonder why.

Because he's lost the argument before I've even started and he knows it.
This is why I'm so careful about approvals and who I buy from. There's a
whole world of difference between a properly approved and tested PSU
from a decent company and something Dustin thinks is OK from Newegg or
ebay. In the area I work embedded systems, switching power supplies vary
from **** that runs really hot and burns out still live with a puff of
smoke, melting plastic sometimes with a flame [I've seen it] and a
decent level V [energy efficiency level now mandatory in EU] which means
they run much cooler and looking at the spec I use stuff like
Over Voltage Protection Internal protection Zener
Over Temp. protection No Ignition, smoke or deformation
Short circuit protection Output shutdown & auto-restart.

I'd expect a decent PC PSU to have similar tech built in.

Maybe it would even protect an imbecile who repeteadly flicked their PC
on and off very rapidly.

cue Usenet 'experts'

Sent from my iFurryUnderbelly.

--
p-0.0-h the cat

Devil incarnate, Linux user#666, ******* hacker, Resident evil, Monkey Boy,
liar, total ******* retard, shill, pooh-seur, and scouringerer.

NewsGroups Numbrer One Terrorist

By Appointment to God Frank-Lin.

Signature integrity check
md5 Checksum: be0b2a8c486d83ce7db9a459b26c4896

Old September 9th 14, 08:16 PM posted to alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.comp.freeware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
p-0''0-h the cat (ES)

On Tue, 09 Sep 2014 20:04:30 +0100, Jax
wrote:

OG38 wrote in
:

On 09/09/2014 12:36 PM, p-0''0-h the cat (ES) wrote:

On Tue, 9 Sep 2014 16:20:04 +0000 (UTC), Dustin
wrote:

Graham Morgan wrote in
:

[...]

My Vista machine is on 16 hrs a day 300+ days per year. So it must get
switched on/off say 400 times a year * ~8 years. That's 3000 times. Mind
you I don't sit there flicking the switch on and off repeatedly like an
idiot.

Old September 9th 14, 08:33 PM posted to alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.comp.freeware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
OG38

On 09/09/2014 02:04 PM, Jax wrote:
OG38 wrote in
:

On 09/09/2014 12:36 PM, p-0''0-h the cat (ES) wrote:

On Tue, 9 Sep 2014 16:20:04 +0000 (UTC), Dustin
wrote:

Graham Morgan wrote in
:

[...]

Thanks Jax, I feel better now...