Bootable w8.1 disc or flashdrive

Old August 21st 14, 12:15 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Rebel1

Default Bootable w8.1 disc or flashdrive

I've been having various minor oddball problems with W8.1 on my desktop
computer. So I installed a third hard drive (1TB) and added one
partition to it. Tomorrow I'm going to a PC store to have W8.1 Pro
64-bit and all updates installed on one partition of the new drive. When
they return my computer to me, this will be the active system
drive/partition that launches everything else. Then I will install
Classic Shell.

Question 1: With only Classic Shell on the new c: drive, what's the best
strategy for making a bootable disc or USB drive from this new
installation? I would use it in case the new W8.1 became damaged to
return to the configuration that will exist tomorrow when I get my
computer back.

Question 2: At present, I have W8.1 Pro 32-bit installed. (AMD Athlon
Dual Core processor 5050e, 2.60 GHz, x-64 based processor, Asus M3A76-CM
mobo.) The plan is to install the 64-bit version of W8. Will going from
32 bits to 64 cause problems? I realize that I may have to get different
drivers for my two printers. Any other pitfalls?

(As an aside, the present W8 was installed over XP last year when
Microsoft had a $39 introductory promotion. The installation was
completely done via the internet, so while I have a valid W8 Product
Key, I never had a W8 disc. W8.1 resulted from various updates.)

Thanks,

R1
Old August 21st 14, 02:27 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
GlowingBlueMist[_9_]

On 8/20/2014 6:15 PM, Rebel1 wrote:
[...]

While this may not be the best method it is one that works for me and
some friends.

I use a second drive of the same size as my original boot drive.

Then I use the freeware version of XXClone http://www.xxclone.com/
to completely duplicate the first drive. With this program once
everything is cloned properly you can configure the system to present a
screen prompt at boot up which allows you to boot from either drive or
just wait for the screen to timeout and it will automatically boot from
the original drive.

Great in case your normal boot drive crashes you just restart and run
from the other drive until you fix/replace the other.

I have XXClone set to make a backup every couple of nights so the two
drives stay in sync.

As for your existing 8.1 (with no CD) be sure to copy/print the license
using a program like http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html or other
similar program in case they wipe it out when they install the new
version of Windows.
Old August 21st 14, 02:42 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Wed, 20 Aug 2014 19:15:49 -0400, Rebel1
wrote:

(As an aside, the present W8 was installed over XP last year when
Microsoft had a $39 introductory promotion. The installation was
completely done via the internet, so while I have a valid W8 Product
Key, I never had a W8 disc. W8.1 resulted from various updates.)

If W8.1 comes on a DVD - an ISO of that mounted to a USB flashstick
should install. Disconnect all but the HD for installing and go from
there. Might be a little faster than a DVD. Should be installed on
two partitions if like W7: a token, semi-hidden NT bootloader, (a
couple other things - BitLocker, GRUB, whatever else that fits on a
MEG), and the partition for the install proper (recommended 20G for
W7).

That's a "clean" install. Updates over another install, shop
installs... well, I wouldn't personally care for any of that. (Build
my own for way too long, so can't say what somebody might do,
including MS ontop another MS - which I've also never attempted.)

Although, if build for someone, I cover my butt with a backup routine
in the exact state I hand it to them in. (Along with a stipend, I'm
not fishing whatever out of the proverbial toilet if someone makes a
mess of it. A quick restore and that's it. People tend have some
nasty habits, one of which is to think I'm their personal slave if I
first don't take precautions.)
Old August 21st 14, 11:21 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Rebel1

Thanks, Glowing and Flasherly, for your suggestions and comments. Much
appreciated.

R1
Old August 21st 14, 06:30 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Thu, 21 Aug 2014 06:21:26 -0400, Rebel1
wrote:

Thanks, Glowing and Flasherly, for your suggestions and comments. Much
appreciated.

R1

Just don't upgrade to this W8.1...."Windows 9600.16384.x86 Windows
Blue RTM IoT build 140731-1000 Galileo v1 weighs in at 174 MB. A
typical Windows 8.1 installation consumes 3 GB of space, so this is
nearly 1/20th the size of an average Windows 8.1 install."

May have to run it on a 400Mhz processor.

http://www.dailytech.com/Microsoft+W...icle36427c.htm