CPU Upgrade Compaq Armada 110

Old September 2nd 03, 10:22 AM
Rev Dr Mark

Default CPU Upgrade Compaq Armada 110

Hi all, after a bit of help.

my dad has a Compaq Armada 110 with a Celeron 700 cpu (socket 370) (100 MHz
bus). all the info we have found for the 110 shows that model could be
shipped with a p3/cel 850. what we would like to know is will his computer
take a P3 850 (socket 370) (100 MHz bus) chip? or is he stuck with the 700c.
if yes what would be the dip switch settings (bank of 4) on the m/b (he has
opened case and can find no noticeable markings on m/b for revision etc).

if you require any further info will get it if I can.

thanks in advance

--
Rev Dr Mark

(Castout the DEVIL to reply)

Old September 2nd 03, 12:46 PM
mike

Rev Dr Mark wrote:
Hi all, after a bit of help.

my dad has a Compaq Armada 110 with a Celeron 700 cpu (socket 370) (100 MHz
bus). all the info we have found for the 110 shows that model could be
shipped with a p3/cel 850. what we would like to know is will his computer
take a P3 850 (socket 370) (100 MHz bus) chip? or is he stuck with the 700c.
if yes what would be the dip switch settings (bank of 4) on the m/b (he has
opened case and can find no noticeable markings on m/b for revision etc).

if you require any further info will get it if I can.

thanks in advance

You're gonna pay money for the processor, increase the internal
temperature, decrease the timing margins (remember that machine hasn't
been burned in and bug-tested at the higher clock speed)and
risk busting the laptop during the upgrade process
for what? 21% increase in processor speed??

Remember, for most single user sessions, the processor is doing
mostly nothing. To put that into perspective,
a 1GHz cpu is gonna twiddle it's thumbs a hundred thousand times
during each and every 10mS disk seek. With a processor upgrade,
It can twiddle 121,000 times. Money spent on faster twiddling
is wasted. Yeah, the OS mitigates this somewhat, but the numbers
are still staggering for many applications.

Sure, you can come up with a scenario where 21% can be noticed, but if
you're in that application league, you're gonna still be unhappy
with a dog of an 850 MHz laptop.

My P90 is so fast that my typing can't outrun it. Should I upgrade it
to a P133 just because I can?

You don't say how much ram you have, but if you've got a lot of swap
space in use, you may get much more visible improvement from more ram.
Eliminate some of those swapfile accesses your processor is twiddling
waiting for.

Processor speed ain't everything.
mike

laptops and parts Test Equipment
4in/400Wout ham linear amp.
Honda CB-125S
400cc Dirt Bike 2003 miles $450
Police Scanner, Color LCD overhead projector
Tek 2465 $800, ham radio, 30pS pulser