upgrade compaq deskpro proprietary form factor AGP slot card?

Old September 1st 03, 04:58 AM
Bill

Default upgrade compaq deskpro proprietary form factor AGP slot card?

Hello,

Does anyone know of newer 3D video cards that will fit older Compaq
Deskpro P3 machines with the proprietary AGP slots that only take AGP
cards with a partial metal back with the video cable connector high on
the card?
Old September 1st 03, 05:42 PM
Me

Its not propritary, its a low profile form factor slot. They were starting
to become popular with 1U and 2U servers around the same time but the
popularity died off. So just search for the low profile agp cards.

om...

Old September 1st 03, 10:11 PM
steven67@

Bill wrote:

Hello,

Does anyone know of newer 3D video cards that will fit older Compaq
Deskpro P3 machines with the proprietary AGP slots that only take AGP
cards with a partial metal back with the video cable connector high on
the card?

..

Which Deskpro do you have; and which AGP card is currently installed?

It sounds like you have an NLX form factor system. The connector is
mounted at the top of the NLX AGP card. The card is notched, so that the
top part with the connector(s) can reach over the motherboard I/O port
connectors. And a square mounting bracket is used.

I see a number of NLX AGP cards with 32MB on Ebay. Are these better than
your current card?

Note that an NLX system will only accept an NLX AGP card. But, an NLX AGP
card can also be used in the more common ATX form factor systems, using a
standard mounting bracket. Some of these NLX compatible AGP cards on
Ebay, don't have the square NLX mounting bracket. To use them in an NLX
system, you would need to remove the longer bracket. You should be able
to transfer the NLX bracket from your current NLX card.

Old September 2nd 03, 12:40 AM
Bill

"Bill" wrote in message
om...
Hello,

Does anyone know of newer 3D video cards that will fit older Compaq
Deskpro P3 machines with the proprietary AGP slots that only take AGP
cards with a partial metal back with the video cable connector high on
the card?

Thanks for the info. However, some of the low profile AGP card I find
have ictures showing the VGA cable connector at the base od the card,
and I need one that is at the top. Is the a specific name for that
type of low profile card?
Old September 2nd 03, 02:11 AM
Bill

"steven67@" wrote in message ...

Which Deskpro do you have; and which AGP card is currently installed?

It sounds like you have an NLX form factor system. The connector is
mounted at the top of the NLX AGP card. The card is notched, so that the
top part with the connector(s) can reach over the motherboard I/O port
connectors. And a square mounting bracket is used.

I see a number of NLX AGP cards with 32MB on Ebay. Are these better than
your current card?

Note that an NLX system will only accept an NLX AGP card. But, an NLX AGP
card can also be used in the more common ATX form factor systems, using a
standard mounting bracket. Some of these NLX compatible AGP cards on
Ebay, don't have the square NLX mounting bracket. To use them in an NLX
system, you would need to remove the longer bracket. You should be able
to transfer the NLX bracket from your current NLX card.

That fits what I see! Thanks!

So, it's an NLX AGP card. Unfortunately all I find on the Web for sale
in NLX form factor are Rage 128 and prior cards. I guess to get a
recent Nvidia or Radeon I'll have to go PCI?