Boot order changes by itself

Old August 20th 14, 09:58 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Rebel1

Default Boot order changes by itself

On 7/5/2014 8:42 PM, Loren Pechtel wrote:
On Thu, 03 Jul 2014 08:28:14 -0400, Rebel1
wrote:

After being away from my desktop for a month, last night I plugged the
power cord back into the wall outlet and booted without any problems. I
performed various tasks for several hours and shut down normally. This
morning when I tried booting I got a message something like NTLDR is
missing. Since I had this same problem two months ago, I knew what to
do: in the BIOS change the boot sequence from one of the two physical
hard drives to the other.

But what's causing the BIOS to change the boot order? The previous
session, there were three program updates: Firefox, Thunderbird, and
Adobe reader. I'm not blaming any of those updates, but mention them for
completeness.

Failing CMOS battery, perhaps?

I did change the CMOS battery and haven't had the problem since. But I
won't go out on a limb and say this was definitely the cause of problem.
Other have raised valid possibilities.

R1

M2A-VM disk boot order? [email protected] Asus Motherboards 0 July 25th 07 02:37 PM
BIOS allows HDD boot order housetrained Homebuilt PC's 6 May 29th 07 07:15 PM
Boot Order MZB Dell Computers 6 December 22nd 06 12:48 PM
SATA not in boot order Ed Gigabyte Motherboards 0 October 7th 03 07:58 PM
IDE boot order HELP!!!!! bob monk Gigabyte Motherboards 0 August 1st 03 09:44 PM