acer laptop hinge

Old November 16th 07, 08:46 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
crazyal

Default acer laptop hinge

hi, I have a some problems with my Acer aspire laptop, first off all
the hinge above the ac in plug has developed a crack, and secondly the
hinge above the ac plug and the middle hinge are coming away from the
unit, it has a 2mm gap in-between the hinge and the unit itself I am
just wondering of any way of fixing this, cheers

Old November 26th 07, 05:07 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
GT

"crazyal" wrote in message
hi, I have a some problems with my Acer aspire laptop, first off all
the hinge above the ac in plug has developed a crack, and secondly the
hinge above the ac plug and the middle hinge are coming away from the
unit, it has a 2mm gap in-between the hinge and the unit itself I am
just wondering of any way of fixing this, cheers

I assume you are talking about the plastic casing round the lid, not the
metal hinges themselves? This is common in ageing laptops.You'll probably
find the metal hinges are just ceased and you are placing too much strain on
the plastic casing when you open and close the laptop.

You need to take the screen off, or make sure that you can't drop any oil or
anything else into the body of the laptop. Take the plastic surround and lid
off the screen (probably remove rubber 'feet' to reveal screws), glue the
plastic casing back together and put it aside to dry while you attend to the
metal hinges. Dissasemble the hinges and get some decent lubricant worked in
there. Don't use WD-40 as its a water repellent, not a lubricant and I
believe 3-in-1 oil is not much better (although it worked for me). Vaseline
(petrolium jelly) or grease would do. I have performed this very operation
on my old laptop and decided to put the hinges back together more loosely
and it is now still operating perfectly, although the screen doesn't hold
itself up beyond about 120 degrees (in either direction).

Old November 27th 07, 02:16 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
NotMe

"GT" wrote in message
| "crazyal" wrote in message
| hi, I have a some problems with my Acer aspire laptop, first off all
| the hinge above the ac in plug has developed a crack, and secondly the
| hinge above the ac plug and the middle hinge are coming away from the
| unit, it has a 2mm gap in-between the hinge and the unit itself I am
| just wondering of any way of fixing this, cheers
|
| I assume you are talking about the plastic casing round the lid, not the
| metal hinges themselves? This is common in ageing laptops.You'll probably
| find the metal hinges are just ceased and you are placing too much strain
on
| the plastic casing when you open and close the laptop.
|
| You need to take the screen off, or make sure that you can't drop any oil
or
| anything else into the body of the laptop. Take the plastic surround and
lid
| off the screen (probably remove rubber 'feet' to reveal screws), glue the
| plastic casing back together and put it aside to dry while you attend to
the
| metal hinges. Dissasemble the hinges and get some decent lubricant worked
in
| there. Don't use WD-40 as its a water repellent, not a lubricant and I
| believe 3-in-1 oil is not much better (although it worked for me).
Vaseline
| (petrolium jelly) or grease would do. I have performed this very operation
| on my old laptop and decided to put the hinges back together more loosely
| and it is now still operating perfectly, although the screen doesn't hold
| itself up beyond about 120 degrees (in either direction).

Might consider useing air tool oil (available at most aftermarket auto
stores.

Old November 27th 07, 05:56 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 21:16:54 -0500, "NotMe"
wrote:

"GT" wrote in message
.. .
| "crazyal" wrote in message
| hi, I have a some problems with my Acer aspire laptop, first off all
| the hinge above the ac in plug has developed a crack, and secondly the
| hinge above the ac plug and the middle hinge are coming away from the
| unit, it has a 2mm gap in-between the hinge and the unit itself I am
| just wondering of any way of fixing this, cheers
|
| I assume you are talking about the plastic casing round the lid, not the
| metal hinges themselves? This is common in ageing laptops.You'll probably
| find the metal hinges are just ceased and you are placing too much strain
on
| the plastic casing when you open and close the laptop.
|
| You need to take the screen off, or make sure that you can't drop any oil
or
| anything else into the body of the laptop. Take the plastic surround and
lid
| off the screen (probably remove rubber 'feet' to reveal screws), glue the
| plastic casing back together and put it aside to dry while you attend to
the
| metal hinges. Dissasemble the hinges and get some decent lubricant worked
in
| there. Don't use WD-40 as its a water repellent, not a lubricant and I
| believe 3-in-1 oil is not much better (although it worked for me).
Vaseline
| (petrolium jelly) or grease would do. I have performed this very operation
| on my old laptop and decided to put the hinges back together more loosely
| and it is now still operating perfectly, although the screen doesn't hold
| itself up beyond about 120 degrees (in either direction).

Might consider useing air tool oil (available at most aftermarket auto
stores.

Oil is suitable for high tolerance, higher RPM applications.
A light coating of grease is the best choice for this. If
someone really doesn't have any grease at all, a tube of
generic moly grease from the auto parts store is about $1.50
and will last a lifetime if you're not lubing cars with it.

Old November 27th 07, 09:21 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
GT

"kony" wrote in message
On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 21:16:54 -0500, "NotMe"
wrote:

"GT" wrote in message
. ..
| "crazyal" wrote in message
| hi, I have a some problems with my Acer aspire laptop, first off all
| the hinge above the ac in plug has developed a crack, and secondly the
| hinge above the ac plug and the middle hinge are coming away from the
| unit, it has a 2mm gap in-between the hinge and the unit itself I am
| just wondering of any way of fixing this, cheers
|
| I assume you are talking about the plastic casing round the lid, not the
| metal hinges themselves? This is common in ageing laptops.You'll
probably
| find the metal hinges are just ceased and you are placing too much
strain
on
| the plastic casing when you open and close the laptop.
|
| You need to take the screen off, or make sure that you can't drop any
oil
or
| anything else into the body of the laptop. Take the plastic surround and
lid
| off the screen (probably remove rubber 'feet' to reveal screws), glue
the
| plastic casing back together and put it aside to dry while you attend to
the
| metal hinges. Dissasemble the hinges and get some decent lubricant
worked
in
| there. Don't use WD-40 as its a water repellent, not a lubricant and I
| believe 3-in-1 oil is not much better (although it worked for me).
Vaseline
| (petrolium jelly) or grease would do. I have performed this very
operation
| on my old laptop and decided to put the hinges back together more
loosely
| and it is now still operating perfectly, although the screen doesn't
hold
| itself up beyond about 120 degrees (in either direction).

Might consider useing air tool oil (available at most aftermarket auto
stores.

Oil is suitable for high tolerance, higher RPM applications.
A light coating of grease is the best choice for this. If
someone really doesn't have any grease at all, a tube of
generic moly grease from the auto parts store is about $1.50
and will last a lifetime if you're not lubing cars with it.

Even soap can be used (rubbed on dry)! Better than a ceased hinge.

Old November 27th 07, 11:12 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

GT wrote:
"kony" wrote in message
On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 21:16:54 -0500, "NotMe"
wrote:
"GT" wrote in message
. ..
| "crazyal" wrote in message

| hi, I have a some problems with my Acer aspire laptop, first off all
| the hinge above the ac in plug has developed a crack, and secondly the
| hinge above the ac plug and the middle hinge are coming away from the
| unit, it has a 2mm gap in-between the hinge and the unit itself I am
| just wondering of any way of fixing this, cheers
|
| I assume you are talking about the plastic casing round the lid, not the
| metal hinges themselves? This is common in ageing laptops.You'll
probably
| find the metal hinges are just ceased and you are placing too much
strain
on
| the plastic casing when you open and close the laptop.
|
| You need to take the screen off, or make sure that you can't drop any
oil
or
| anything else into the body of the laptop. Take the plastic surround and
lid
| off the screen (probably remove rubber 'feet' to reveal screws), glue
the
| plastic casing back together and put it aside to dry while you attend to
the
| metal hinges. Dissasemble the hinges and get some decent lubricant
worked
in
| there. Don't use WD-40 as its a water repellent, not a lubricant and I
| believe 3-in-1 oil is not much better (although it worked for me).
Vaseline
| (petrolium jelly) or grease would do. I have performed this very
operation
| on my old laptop and decided to put the hinges back together more
loosely
| and it is now still operating perfectly, although the screen doesn't
hold
| itself up beyond about 120 degrees (in either direction).

Might consider useing air tool oil (available at most aftermarket auto
stores.

Oil is suitable for high tolerance, higher RPM applications.
A light coating of grease is the best choice for this. If
someone really doesn't have any grease at all, a tube of
generic moly grease from the auto parts store is about $1.50
and will last a lifetime if you're not lubing cars with it.

Even soap can be used (rubbed on dry)! Better than a ceased hinge.

When you repair the plastic, suggest adding some reinforcement,
otherwise it will be considerably weaker than it was before cracking.

NT
Old November 27th 07, 01:00 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
John McCallum

Graphite powder may work.
wrote in message
GT wrote:
"kony" wrote in message
On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 21:16:54 -0500, "NotMe"
wrote:
. ..

Acer laptop Stefano[_2_] General 3 June 12th 07 11:16 AM
trying to buy a laptop is acer worth? kernelkiller Acer Computers 2 November 2nd 05 06:53 AM
Beep codes for Acer laptop plus more. HappyUser Acer Computers 1 July 12th 05 09:38 AM
Laptop Screen Hinge Too Loose Ethan Dell Computers 6 August 13th 04 09:48 PM
Acer TM 507T Screen Hinge Problem J. D. Pape Acer Computers 0 June 25th 03 11:45 PM