Chaintech adds wierd capacitor cooler to A64 mobo

Old September 8th 03, 02:03 AM
Keith R. Williams

In article ,
says...
In article .rogers.com
, Yousuf Khan writes

http://www.octools.com/index.cgi?cal...ed/zenith.html

Going off tangent slightly, but what is it with motherboard
manufacturers and gimmicks at the moment? I don't *want* a board with
cat-vomit yellow PCI slots, IDE slots and DIMM slots!

Considering that the color of the connector is part of the
specification... I'd say they *aren't* PCI slots.

--
Keith
Old September 8th 03, 02:17 AM
Keith R. Williams

In article , a?n?g?e?
says...
On Sun, 7 Sep 2003 19:19:11 +0100, Mike Tomlinson
wrote:
Going off tangent slightly, but what is it with motherboard
manufacturers and gimmicks at the moment? I don't *want* a board with
cat-vomit yellow PCI slots, IDE slots and DIMM slots!

The industry is predominantly male, it's a male thingy.
Similar to why do guys put stickers all over their cars, or give them
oversized and overloud exhaust, neon blue under carriage UFO light and
such

L'Angel! Are you saying that because I refuse to have bumper-
stickers, loud custom exhaust, or glow-in-the-dark computer
widgets, that you think I'm somehow less "male"? I'm crushed!

Ok, I have a teensy-weensie pickup truck, but is is a 4x4 with a
4L engine and off-road package (why, I haven't a clue). Am I a
man yet? ;-))

I still have my antique K6-3 system here, but I've been looking
at an Apple G5 (quiet George) because it's *interesting* to me.
....maybe not *that* interesting though.

Along with things like coloured heatsinks, LED fans and such, it
differentiates the product, allows the creation of an identity of
sorts that allow the user to proudly show off his rig to his friends,
i.e. "My dick... oops... rig is more colourful than yours!"

I certainly *hope* you don't need a bigger...! If I've totally
misjudged you, perhaps I can forward 50% of my email. ;-)

However, perhaps your inbred need to coordinate colors would
force you to buy a pink processor? I'll put that on my to-do
list. ;-)

ppPppP

Ditto! ;-)

--
Keith

Old September 8th 03, 06:45 AM
Tony Hill

On Sat, 6 Sep 2003 21:40:28 +0200, "Gary Seven" wrote:
Is anyone else alarmed at yet another friggen fan to cool another friggen
component?

That's almost exactly what I thought when I saw this.

Your statement implies that if Chaintec were to use much higher
quality (but more expensive) capacitors, you wouldn't have a need for active
cooling then? To me it seems like a no brainer: Use the better quality
components, dump the fan, and charge more for the board. Or am I missing
something here? ;-)

Totally agreed, this is just another major weak point in terms of the
reliability of the board. These little fans are VERY poor when it
comes to long-term reliability, and on this Chaintech board they're
now using two of them (one for the chipset and one for the voltage
regulator circuits). Add that to the processor fan, the power supply
fan and the chipset fan on most modern video cards, and you're looking
at 5 extremely low-reliability parts. Given the way that loss of
reliability tends to multiply, this means that you can pretty much
expect regular (once every 6 months to a year?) failures of the
cooling system that will cause this system to crash.

--------------
Tony Hill
hilla underscore 20 at yahoo dot ca
Old September 8th 03, 06:45 AM
Tony Hill

wrote:
Going off tangent slightly, but what is it with motherboard
manufacturers and gimmicks at the moment? I don't *want* a board with
cat-vomit yellow PCI slots, IDE slots and DIMM slots!

The industry is predominantly male, it's a male thingy.
Similar to why do guys put stickers all over their cars, or give them
oversized and overloud exhaust, neon blue under carriage UFO light and
such

How long do you think it'll be before someone adapts a HUGE exhaust
header onto the power supply fan at the back of their computer case?
:

Along with things like coloured heatsinks, LED fans and such, it
differentiates the product, allows the creation of an identity of
sorts that allow the user to proudly show off his rig to his friends,
i.e. "My dick... oops... rig is more colourful than yours!"

I hope most guys don't go around clamoring about how colourful their
dick is! :

--------------
Old September 8th 03, 07:50 AM
Scott Alfter

Old September 8th 03, 09:11 AM
George Macdonald

On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 17:04:25 GMT, "Yousuf Khan"
wrote:

Chaintech's new Athlon 64 motherboard will feature an extra fan built-in to
the motherboard itself which will be used to cool the capacitors next to the
CPU. It calls it RADEX, for Revolutionary Active Direct Exhaust. Here are
the pictures:

http://www.octools.com/index.cgi?cal...ed/zenith.html

Well I've read some of the derisive comments and I don't know what all the
fuss is. Ducted cooling is being used more and more on PCs - it was
inevitable and is "just like the big boys" do it in big server systems.
This RADEX is a two phase heat pipe - I like the caterpillary[sic] action -
and smallish fan. Seems to me like a good idea.shrug

Rgds, George Macdonald

Old September 8th 03, 04:41 PM
RusH

"Yousuf Khan" wrote in
able.rogers.com:

Chaintech's new Athlon 64 motherboard will feature an extra fan
built-in to the motherboard itself which will be used to cool the
capacitors

MOSFETs not capacitors ..

--
Pent-up passive-aggressive dork alert! Whoop! Whoop!
Whoop! Whoop! Boy, you're really lighting up this alarm here!
Old September 9th 03, 02:43 AM
Keith R. Williams

In article nFV6b.49543$nf3.35554@fed1read07,
says...

In article ,
Mike Tomlinson wrote:
In article .rogers.com
, Yousuf Khan writes

http://www.octools.com/index.cgi?cal...ed/zenith.html

Going off tangent slightly, but what is it with motherboard
manufacturers and gimmicks at the moment? I don't *want* a board with
cat-vomit yellow PCI slots, IDE slots and DIMM slots!

Going further offtopic, why is it so difficult to find a decent plain-Jane
case anymore?

Perhaps because the market has spoken? ...another reason to
abandon x86 perhaps. I'm not ready yet, but you're adding to the
list.

--
Keith
Old September 9th 03, 03:04 PM
chrisv

On Mon, 08 Sep 2003 06:50:59 GMT, (Scott
Alfter) wrote:

It's a wonder they haven't sprouted fart-can exhaust
tips and Type R badges as well, as they're the kinds of products only a
riceboy could love.

LOL.

Bad mobo? wayneP Homebuilt PC's 7 December 23rd 04 10:00 AM
Help with overclocking Duron on gigabyte mobo! matiii Overclocking AMD Processors 9 June 8th 04 11:06 AM
How to connect front audio ports to mobo *Vanguard* General 5 December 17th 03 09:35 PM
REQ - Desparate! Need CD for Chaintech CT-7ATA MOBO kony General 2 July 3rd 03 10:55 AM