Paper labels on DVD discs

Old January 8th 05, 04:43 PM
Chip

"Bill" wrote in message
. net...

With the exception of the label being applied incorrectly and causing an
imbalance or warpage, what could possibly cause a problem? I have only
applied these labels to a few slide show DVDs but have yet to experience
problems.

No issues here either. I use good quality labels and always apply them
with an applicator. To date, I've experienced no issues with CD-Rs or
DVD-R discs that can be traced to having a label applied.

Sounds like the growth of a new urban computer legend... Been using lables
on floppies, video tapes, CDs, and DVDs for years and never a problem....

Old January 8th 05, 04:46 PM
Chip

"Dan G" wrote in message
The question is about DVD's, which are made differently than CDR. There's
no
need to "protect" the back side on a DVD, as they are made with a
polycarbonate sandwich, so there's a protective disc on both sides.

If you put labels on DVD's, you're asking for trouble.

"half_pint" wrote in message

And by what analytical analysis are you basing this on? Or are the DVDS that
I have been using for years and labeling superior to everyone else's?

Old January 8th 05, 04:49 PM
Chip

"Dan G" wrote in message
I just ran across yet another report of an entire collection lost due to
labels. What's interesting is that this person posted an email he got from
Memorex on the subject:

"The reason that you experienced issues when you labeled the DVD is that
as
the DVD plays in the player with the Label on it, the DVD expands from the
heat generated. The label does not expand and thus it causes a warping of
the DVD. Not a lot but it is enough to cause a failure in Playback. The
only
type of labeling that we recommend for a DVD is the Center Hub label
only."

Terry Schmidt
Technical Support
Memorex Products, Inc.
United States

Also note that Memorex sold him the DVD labeling kit in the first place.

Interesting concept, but I have never seen anyone else replicate this
before.

Old January 8th 05, 07:05 PM
Allen

"half_pint" wrote in message

And by what analytical analysis are you basing this on? Or are the DVDS that
I have been using for years and labeling superior to everyone else's?

Note the source of that post--good old "half_pint" yet again. I hadn't
seen the original, as I no longer see anything that he/she/it posts.
Allen

Old January 8th 05, 11:01 PM
Hackworth

"Bill" wrote in message
nk.net...

I have some CDs 5 or 6 years old with paper labels on them and have
never had problems with even one yet.

Larc

With my own CD-Rs, and extensive checking performed on many of my discs
earlier this year, I found no evidence suggesting that paper labels were
causing readback errors. Discs from decent sources such as Taiyo-Yuden
were reading back as error-free, regardless of age (three years max, in my
case) or whether a label was applied.

The "Made in Taiwan" discs from companies such as Memorex (which I'll
never purchase again) didn't fare as well--but, again, readback errors
were consistently bad on these discs, regardless of whether a label had
been applied.

Yeah, I have to agree. Learned that lesson the hard way. Memorex blows
chunks, and I'll never spend money on them again. I won't even begin to bore
everyone in this group with the write and read problems I've enountered with
Memorex media. :-(

Old January 10th 05, 05:28 PM
Neil Maxwell

On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 08:43:15 -0800, "Chip" wrote:

"Bill" wrote in message
.net...

With the exception of the label being applied incorrectly and causing an
imbalance or warpage, what could possibly cause a problem? I have only
applied these labels to a few slide show DVDs but have yet to experience
problems.

No issues here either. I use good quality labels and always apply them
with an applicator. To date, I've experienced no issues with CD-Rs or
DVD-R discs that can be traced to having a label applied.

Sounds like the growth of a new urban computer legend... Been using lables
on floppies, video tapes, CDs, and DVDs for years and never a problem....

Lack of problems with a certain subset of hardware doesn't mean there
are no problems. There was a well-documented Avery brand CDR label
problem back in the 2X days that resulted in a recall of the labels by
the manufacturer; a quick group search on "avery label recall"
(without the quotes) should turn up a variety of threads.

Likewise, there have been many instances of labels coming loose in
drives. I haven't seen any confirmed cases of label stress causing
problems with DVDR delamination, but we know that delamination is a
potential problem in general, so it'll take more data before I'll be
comfortable either way.

Using good quality labels and CDRs with protective top layers will go
a long way towards making sure you don't have problems, but DVDRs are
still too new to be able to say they'll have no problems with any kind
of labels.

Old January 11th 05, 10:03 PM
Scott Alfter

Old January 11th 05, 10:17 PM
John H.

Scott Alfter wrote:

--
I thought the same thing.50 degrees where do you get that in the
summer.I live in ca. where the summer heat is 100+ and heat does cause

* Magic Is Believing In Yourself*

*if you can do that*

* You Can Make Anything Happen *

Old January 11th 05, 11:51 PM
Bill

As for my own experiences with CD labels, I tried them for a while a few
years ago. With not much use (and with the discs stored at room
temperature), the labels would start peeling up around the edges. Maybe
it
was the adhesive or maybe it was the surface of the disc (textured, not
smooth) that kept them from sticking, but I started using Sharpies after
that and kept using those until I bought a disc printer. Even now, I'll
still mark a disc with a Sharpie if I don't want to bother with firing up
the printer and cranking out a label in Publisher.

Maybe it was the quality of the CD label. I started off using labels from
Imation (no longer available) and now Fellowes. In three years of label
application, I've yet to have even a small edge of a label begin to peel.

Old January 12th 05, 01:26 AM

I live in an area which has extremes of climate - temperatures of 50 degrees
are not unusual in summer - and I frequently leave labelled discs in the
car.

50? Where do you live that it stays that cool in the summer? That's winter
weather here in Las Vegas...try 110+ in the summer.

50, as in degrees celsius (centigrade)

How do I place cues within a track? Mike Richter Cdr 2 October 6th 04 08:25 PM
So...what is the best label for cd/dvd media ? ZigZag Master Cdr 33 August 5th 04 10:55 PM
When Good Discs Go Bad Ablang General 0 June 27th 04 03:47 AM
Why can't I burn + discs on my 107D +/- burner properly? Dave Reid Cdr 8 June 23rd 04 09:54 PM
Win XP Sp1 CD ROM and DVD Rom Not Recognizing Newly inserted discs Hunter Cdr 5 December 12th 03 05:33 AM