Alternatives to Adaptec Easy CD creator?

Old November 25th 04, 02:33 AM
half_pint

"dadiOH" wrote in message
half_pint wrote:

Just an update to the sorry saga I tried some new burning software
and it worked!!
It was not a "packet burner" ( I am not an familiar with the
terminology) it created the disk in a similar way to how you create
an audio file (I think) but that is not a problem as I usually burn
a full disk at a time anyway.

*GASP*...you actually mastered a disc! Now try the same thing with
EZCD. After you dump the spyware you installed with the new mastering
program.

Yes I have, it is pretty much the same as creating an audio CD (well
similar anyway, no files to expand though). It seemed similar to me
anyway for someone who has always used drag and drop before.

I may try and "master" another one later if I can find enough data to see
if it works consistantly or whether it was just a lucky disk, I get the
impression that mastering may be susseptable to buffer underruns,
am I correct? (Seemed to mention that in the prog but that may have
be for audio only).

Anyway the disk works a treat. (seemed to load faster too).

And yes I have managed to disable all the spyware, it was pretty
easy when I tried today now my system has "settled" down, I basically
just killed it all off and its all gone (all sorts of **** on there, about 5
progs),
however it did not seem to like it when I stopped them running at start-up
(maybe I missed a bit?) cos I lost both my CD drives!!!!! Got them now
though :O)

Another bonus with this prog is because it supports spyware there
may be a much greater incentive for the program to actually frigging
work, other wise people would dump it and the spyware.
As it happens, now I seem to have the best of both worlds cos I can
use the prog and kill off the spyware - splendid :O)

_______________

I am just happy (touch wood) that my PC is still functioning!!!

I think you should be. Every once in a while one gets lucky...

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.05...

Old November 25th 04, 02:47 AM
half_pint

"Ezra" wrote in message
om...
"half_pint" wrote in message

Are there any free alternatives?

It is destroying my CDs with gay abandon at the moment when I
try to format them for data (directed) (just had about 5 straight

failures).

I am wondering if it is EZCDCreator or just a real bad bunch of disks,
I bought 50 and only about 2 in 10 (if that) work. (they are PCline

disks
is you want to know).

I had no problems (for data, audio was another story) with some napster
disks which I was using before where about 9 of 10 worked OK.

I do suspect the disks though, they look real '****ty' no branding and
wavey 'oil in water' effect on top.

I will never buy them again, I wish I had taken them back before I
got a couple of them to work.

"Ezra" wrote in message
om...

Snipped for berevity's sake

The process of formatting a disc is part of using the cd like a big
floppy. It is called packet writing.

Mastered discs are compiled by using the disc burning application. You
assemble your files and folders inside a burning program, usually in a
Windows Explorer style interface, like Easy CD/DVD Creator, Nero
Burning Rom, NTI CD Maker, etc. You can even find some decent free
burning programs out the www.burnatonce.com and www.deepburner.com
are two such free burning programs.

Ezra

Yes but I am not sure if they are "packet writer" which is what I wanted,
however it seems "mastering" or whatever will achieve the same results for
me.

Answered in previous thread, subject: " PC-line disk are ****."
This was answered back on Nov. 17th. Do you not read follow-up posts?

I do but sometime I miss the odd bit it there are a load of posts
or my computer crashes, it does happen, usually when I am typing
in a really long response :O( , that may be fortunate for the people who
have to read then though ;OP
I'll add another freeware alternative: CDBurnerXP Pro
(www.cdburnerxp.se).

You had at least two previous threads regarding your purchase of
PCline cdrs. Why are you posting so many threads for the same topic?
Can't you keep track of your posts and the responses you have gotten?
Why waste other people's time with this subject over and over again
when you were given good information the first and second time you
posted the same problem?

Because I am still unsure whether is is the disks, the hardware or the
software which is causing the problems!!!
And I do not want to slag of PCline disks if the problem actually lies else
where.
The resuts are iconsistant, the only consistant thing is inconsistancy.

So when I get time I will try some more mastering with my new burning
software and I will post the results ie whether it produces just as many
coasters as adaptec (which did seem to work OK on other disks).

Pretty simple really ;OP

Ezra

Old November 25th 04, 02:49 AM
half_pint

Because I am still unsure whether is is the disks, the hardware or the
software which is causing the problems!!!
And I do not want to slag of PCline disks if the problem actually lies

else
where.
The resuts are iconsistant, the only consistant thing is inconsistancy.

So when I get time I will try some more mastering with my new burning
software and I will post the results ie whether it produces just as many
coasters as adaptec (which did seem to work OK on other disks).

Pretty simple really ;OP

"If you think the solution is simple you don't really understand the
problem!"

Old November 25th 04, 07:57 AM
Ezra

"half_pint" wrote in message ...

It is destroying my CDs with gay abandon at the moment when I
try to format them for data (directed) (just had about 5 straight

failures).

I am wondering if it is EZCDCreator or just a real bad bunch of disks,
I bought 50 and only about 2 in 10 (if that) work. (they are PCline

disks
is you want to know).

I have never used PCline discs, but I have used DirectCD. DirectCD
versions 3 and 4 produced more coasters for me than any other single
burning application. I have used a lot of different burning programs
over the years and DirectCD was the most unreliable. Or should I say
reliable at producing coasters. If you want packet writing, I'd
suggest giving FileCD a try (bundled with NTI burning software -
www.ntius.com) or InstantDisc (bundled with Pinnacle Instant CD/DVD -
www.pinnaclesys.com). These two seem to give the best results. If you
can find a copy of Record Now from Sonic, I've heard good things about
the packet writer that comes with that bundle.

Yes but I am not sure if they are "packet writer" which is what I wanted,
however it seems "mastering" or whatever will achieve the same results for
me.

The free software I mentioned do not include packet writing as far as
I know. I gave up on packet writing after InCD and DirectCD bugs and
irregularities.

Because I am still unsure whether is is the disks, the hardware or the
software which is causing the problems!!!
And I do not want to slag of PCline disks if the problem actually lies else
where.
The resuts are iconsistant, the only consistant thing is inconsistancy.

I would guess it's the software. Could be a bad match between the
discs and your burner, but with DirectCD's reputation and my
experience, I'd say it's the software.

So when I get time I will try some more mastering with my new burning
software and I will post the results ie whether it produces just as many
coasters as adaptec (which did seem to work OK on other disks).

Pretty simple really ;OP

Good luck.

Ezra
Old November 25th 04, 03:05 PM
dadiOH

half_pint wrote:
"dadiOH" wrote in message
Harold Flagger. wrote:

What I am wondering though is if I will be able to add more files
to a disk it has burned, or or will the disk be 'finished' as with
audio CDs, I have never burned data CDs like that before so I have

no
idea. I imagine you might be able to, but I don't want to lose
data

SHEESH, man!!! Have you ever in your entire life read a help file
that comes with a program???

Actually from what I remember that program does not have a help
file, indeed it does not other than the version number and copyright
notice.

The oldest I have is EZCD Pro 95 which precedes v3.5 which was from
the late 90s and all have a help file. The program was widely
distributed both with add on CD-RW drives and OEM computers. It is
incomprensible that it was ever distributed sans help file because
such is necessary for one to learn the program. Looked in the EZCD
program directory for the help file?
________________

Turn loose all that "programming experience" of yours and read the
EZCD help file. It is there so that even lamers can grasp simple
concepts and use the program (or other similar ones) in a
semi-effective manner.

It is not EZCD however.

EZCD is shorthand for Easy CD Creator. Originally from Adaptec, now
from Roxio. You should certainly understand the term as in your OP
you used it saying, "I am wondering if it is EZCDCreator or just a
real bad bunch of disks"

If you mean that the recently downloaded spyware infested program with
which you successfully mastered a disc has no help file I am not
surprised. The freakin' useless thing has no home page either (well,
it does but no mention of the program). But you still have EZCD, no?
It has a help file, yes? That help file will explain terms and
procedures that are common to all mastering programs.
____________________

I cannot expect all burning software to work lilke EZCD anyway,

Sure you can. They all do the same thing in the same way using the
same ASPI files (WinXP is an exception but they work better on it too
is one installs ASPI; and, IIRC, Nero has its own set).
DirectCD/packet writers are what do things differently but you've not
yet grasped the difference I fear.
___________________

So maybe you could put binArtisan does actually work under windows98
in your help file perhaps?

Why in the world would I want to even mention a piece of software that
exists solely to load people up with spyware?
_____________________

Oh, and another thing if you are assuming that software does what
it says in the manual or help file them my programming experience
tell me that you are probably just a little bit naive.

There may well be errors in help files just as there are bugs in
programs. Nevertheless, they describe the program operation, acquaint
the user with options, explain terms. In short, they enable a user to
use a program in an informed manner. If one finds that a program
isn't functioning as described in the "help" then it most likely user
error and/or lack of understanding..
____________________

I really do not understand you, you go to the trouble of building a
sort
of help site for people and then when people ask a question in a
newsgroup (which is basically or at least part of what they are for
you hurl abuse at them,

And I do not understand you. You go to the trouble and expense to buy
a computer with a CD-RW drive and won't expend a modicum of effort to
learn how to use the drive and the associated programs.

This thread was started because you blame your lack of success in
formatting a bunch of cheapo discs with DirectCD on Adaptec and your
consequent desire for an alternative to Adaptec. You then go d/l and
install a spyware infested program to do exactly what you could have
done if you had used Easy CD Creator rather than DirectCD. Problem
is, you don't yet understand the difference between the two -
mastering vs packet writing - and seem disinclined to learn. Learn by
independent investigation and reading that is.

Now, it is true that I could answer your question. In fact, I will:
yes, you can add data to mastered CDs until such time as you close
them if you burn multisession TAO (track at once) rather than DAO
(disc at once). Does that help you? Of course not...it doesn't help
you because the terms are new and meaningless to you.

You've gotten numerous answers recently, both from myself and others.
Have they helped you? Seems not. Which is one reason I "hurl abuse"
at you although I prefer to think of it as "vigorous prodding" (with
an electrified prod in your case) so that you'll get ****ed off enough
to go learn something.

You can continue to ask questions in news groups. The answers won't
help you until you know enough to understand them.

You can continue to ask questions in news groups. The answers won't
help you until you know enough to be able to sort the correct from the
incorrect.

You can continue to ask questions in news groups. The answers won't
help you until you know enough to apply them in your particular
situation.

You can continue to ask questions in news groups seeking
answers/solutions to your problems and be dependent on the sometimes
iffy answers of others or you can bravely sally forth to Google, help
files, et al and become knowledgeable and independent. Being ignorant
of something in which one is interested isn't a crime. Staying
ignorant is.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.05...

Old November 25th 04, 03:24 PM
dadiOH

half_pint wrote:
"dadiOH" wrote in message
half_pint wrote:

Just an update to the sorry saga I tried some new burning software
and it worked!!
It was not a "packet burner" ( I am not an familiar with the
terminology) it created the disk in a similar way to how you
create an audio file (I think) but that is not a problem as I
usually burn a full disk at a time anyway.

*GASP*...you actually mastered a disc! Now try the same thing with
EZCD. After you dump the spyware you installed with the new
mastering program.

I may try and "master" another one later if I can find enough data
to see if it works consistantly or whether it was just a lucky
disk, I get the impression that mastering may be susseptable to
buffer underruns,
am I correct?

That depends upon the relative antiquity of your computer and CD-RW
drive. The software too as it must support "burn proof" too if your
drive does.
___________________

Anyway the disk works a treat. (seemed to load faster too).

And you can get the full capacity of the CD on it...no overhead as
when packet writing.
__________________

Another bonus with this prog is because it supports spyware there
may be a much greater incentive for the program to actually frigging
work, other wise people would dump it and the spyware.

My opinion would be exactly the opposite. The program exists to
implant spyware; once implanted, WTF cares if the program works (from
the author's view point)?

My advice would be to dump the thing and go back to EZCD Creator (NOT
DirectCD). You haven't mentioned its version. If 3.5, it won't burn
much more than 650 MB. Regardless, I would use it in preferance to
your spyware thing...I always rather liked 3.5, easy to use and nary a
problem.

If you just have to be shuck of Adaptec, I'd suggest CDEXtreme. It
too is easy to use and reliable. Moreover, it is one of the very,
very few programs that will support long (up to 212 characters)
filenames...most top out at 60+.

You can read about it in my dandies where there is also a d/l link.
If you still resist reading, you can get it at...
http://www.chrismyden.com/nuke/print.php?sid=113

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.05...

Old November 25th 04, 05:12 PM
half_pint

"dadiOH" wrote in message
half_pint wrote:
"dadiOH" wrote in message
Harold Flagger. wrote:

[...]

AS was made clear I was not using EZCD I was used binArtiasan.

________________

[...]

Like I said I was not using EZCD.
____________________

Old November 25th 04, 06:12 PM
half_pint

"dadiOH" wrote in message
half_pint wrote:
"dadiOH" wrote in message
half_pint wrote:

[...]

Well I know my drive is not burn proof.

___________________

Anyway the disk works a treat. (seemed to load faster too).

And you can get the full capacity of the CD on it...no overhead as
when packet writing.
__________________

Another bonus with this prog is because it supports spyware there
may be a much greater incentive for the program to actually frigging
work, other wise people would dump it and the spyware.

My opinion would be exactly the opposite. The program exists to
implant spyware; once implanted, WTF cares if the program works (from
the author's view point)?

My advice would be to dump the thing and go back to EZCD Creator (NOT
DirectCD). You haven't mentioned its version. If 3.5, it won't burn
much more than 650 MB. Regardless, I would use it in preferance to
your spyware thing...I always rather liked 3.5, easy to use and nary a
problem.

Well I will try this new prog first for a while to see if is reliable so far
it has a 100% success record 1 out ot 1. Which is good enough for me.

If you just have to be shuck of Adaptec, I'd suggest CDEXtreme. It
too is easy to use and reliable. Moreover, it is one of the very,
very few programs that will support long (up to 212 characters)
filenames...most top out at 60+.

Well I have alot of suggestions for software now, I will just use the
first one (if any which seems reliable).

Old November 25th 04, 06:17 PM
half_pint

"Ezra" wrote in message
om...
"half_pint" wrote in message

It is destroying my CDs with gay abandon at the moment when I
try to format them for data (directed) (just had about 5 straight

failures).

I am wondering if it is EZCDCreator or just a real bad bunch of

disks,
I bought 50 and only about 2 in 10 (if that) work. (they are PCline

disks
is you want to know).

I have never used PCline discs, but I have used DirectCD. DirectCD
versions 3 and 4 produced more coasters for me than any other single
burning application.

It used to be pretty reliable for me, virtually 100% however its seems
to be an almost 100% failure with these PCline disks (well 66% failure rate
or so).

I have used a lot of different burning programs
over the years and DirectCD was the most unreliable. Or should I say
reliable at producing coasters. If you want packet writing, I'd
suggest giving FileCD a try (bundled with NTI burning software -
www.ntius.com) or InstantDisc (bundled with Pinnacle Instant CD/DVD -
www.pinnaclesys.com). These two seem to give the best results. If you
can find a copy of Record Now from Sonic, I've heard good things about
the packet writer that comes with that bundle.

I don't really need packet burning however I dont think PB gives buffer
underruns
so that was a big plus point. I do not know if 'mastering' is immune from
buffer
underruns though.

[...]

Maybe.

Old November 26th 04, 02:54 AM
half_pint

Just an update to the sorry saga I tried some new burning software
and it worked!!
It was not a "packet burner" ( I am not an familiar with the terminology)
it created the disk in a similar way to how you create an audio file
(I think) but that is not a problem as I usually burn a full disk at a

time
anyway.

The first time I tried to read the disk it failed but it has worked every
time since so I am quite happy that was a glitch.

It won't work in my other (CDR) drive, but neither would another
disk which worked in it yesterday (such is life).

Maybe I just got lucky and picked a 'good' disk but if I did it
was the first one in about 10 I tried, I have a pile of
16 disks which failed to format, and 25 I have not tried
yes which leaves 9 out of the 50, of those 9 I believe 7 worked
ok and I binned two as dead losses.

So I have 7 good ones out of 25, 1 in 3.5 which worked.

To early to say it it was just a 'lucky disk' or whether
Adaptec software is to blame or whatever.

The software incidently was binArtisan

http://www.download.com/BinArtisan-C...ml?tag=lst-0-2

Which also installs a pile of adware.
I didn't think that would be a problem but it made my computer
take ages to start up.

So...I tried disabling it at start-up only to find I had
'lost' both my CD drives!!!! (missing drivers).

Maybe I will be able to do a more selective diasble to get
around this problem.

Fortunately when I re-enabled the ****e my CD drives re-appeared!!
(hooray!!).

(I actually thought I had lost my computer for good at one point!!!)

Anyway I will let you know how I get on later as I am too
tired to do anymore 'messing', I would like to see if I can
get some of the disks which filed to format to work.

I did find when examining those disks (with ISOBuster) that nothing
(much) seemed to have been written to them
Another burning prog which I tried on a failed format disk
didn't seem to work (well it wrote a pile of stuff but I can't
read it).

I will let you know how I get on (or at least leave a record for
my self to refer to if no one gives a dam!!)

The binArtisan software puts a seach/adware bar on your PC,
which I am currently to scared to try to remove but anyhow
it don't seem to consume any CPU time.

Anyhow I will do an update later, I *need* to do something
less stressful!!!!!!!!

I am just happy (touch wood) that my PC is still functioning!!!

Well I did a trail on one of the disks which Adaptec failed to format,
I burned about half of the 300 meg and then threw up an error,
maybe the disk was duff or maybe Adaptec "****ed it".

I will try on a brand new PCline disk when I have enough data to
fill it.
The failed format disk showed up as blank on Isobuster but that may
or may not have been correct.

Isobuster seemed to show quite a lot of data was written though, but
it is a dad disk now and I have 'binned' it.