Writing on CDR's

Old January 30th 04, 11:22 PM
Mary

Default Writing on CDR's

When writing with marker pens on CDR's to label them, assuming you are using
the right kind of pens for the job, is it possible in some cases, that the
cdrom lens may not be able to read the CDR contents properly? Also, is it
better that you dont write big letters on the CDR that say take up half of
the top of the CDR? Or does that do no harm? Just wondered if people here
had any problems with writing on CDR's.

Mary

Old January 30th 04, 11:28 PM
Rick Pali

"Mary" wrote:

When writing with marker pens on CDR's to label them,
assuming you are using the right kind of pens for the job,
is it possible in some cases, that the cdrom lens may not
be able to read the CDR contents properly?

The readers looks at the side opposite the label. As long as you restrict
your writing to the label side I can't imagine how it would have any effect,
no matter what you write.

Rick.
-+---

http://www.alienshore.com/seeking/

Old January 30th 04, 11:59 PM
Mary

"Rick Pali" wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
"Mary" wrote:

When writing with marker pens on CDR's to label them,
assuming you are using the right kind of pens for the job,
is it possible in some cases, that the cdrom lens may not
be able to read the CDR contents properly?

The readers looks at the side opposite the label. As long as you restrict
your writing to the label side I can't imagine how it would have any

effect,
no matter what you write.

Thats what I thought, except as Buddy, who posted another message pointed
out, if the pen is too sharp, it could maybe damage the CDR. I myself don't
write much information on my CDR's, but a friend does, and I wasn't sure
that it was a good idea, or if its ok, I shouldn't worry if I want to write
more than I do on CDR's.

Mary

Old January 31st 04, 12:24 AM
wamaruna

I tried some pens (on-line acquisition) that were supposedly makde for
writing on CDRs and they were awful. Best thing I've found are the
ubiquitous 'Sharpies' which are in office supplies and grocery stores in the
US. Easy to write with, legible, and permanent.

I cannot find a pen in office supply stores that say they are made for
that purpose.

What country are you in? I would think all office supply stores in all
countries would have pens for writing on CDR's. I am in Toronto, Canada

and
there are lots of office supply stores here to buy pens for CDR's, but I

am
never sure which ones are the best for the purpose.

Mary

Old January 31st 04, 06:42 AM
Rick Pali

"Mary" wrote:

Thats what I thought, except as Buddy, who posted
another message pointed out, if the pen is too sharp,
it could maybe damage the CDR.

True, but any marker I've seen labeled as 'CD safe' has been a felt-tipped
marker and those are more difficult to push too hard with!

If a CD is something I'm locking away for archival storage I tend not to
label them on the disc surface at all. Call me paranoid but better safe than
sorry.

Rick.
-+---

http://www.alienshore.com/seeking/

Old January 31st 04, 11:22 AM
Alex Nichol

Mary wrote:

What country are you in? I would think all office supply stores in all
countries would have pens for writing on CDR's. I am in Toronto, Canada and
there are lots of office supply stores here to buy pens for CDR's, but I am
never sure which ones are the best for the purpose.

I use regular Sharpies (fine point permanent variety). And from

Alex Nichol
Bournemouth, U.K.

Old January 31st 04, 11:25 AM
Enkidu

wamaruna wrote:
I tried some pens (on-line acquisition) that were supposedly makde for
writing on CDRs and they were awful. Best thing I've found are the
ubiquitous 'Sharpies' which are in office supplies and grocery stores in the
US. Easy to write with, legible, and permanent.

My official "CD Writer" pen that came with my purchase of some CDs is
indistinguishable from a fine point Sharpie.

Enkidu

Old January 31st 04, 12:40 PM
Bill

My official "CD Writer" pen that came with my purchase of some CDs is
indistinguishable from a fine point Sharpie.

Enkidu

I use a Sharpie marker as well, and have had no problems with discs that
have been labeled. Also, in spite of warnings to the contrary, many of my
CD-Rs burned during the past 18 months have printed labels applied, both
from Imation and Fellowes. No failures have been observed as of yet, only
time will tell. Imation also furnished a marker with the kit I purchased
last year, but it was so thin/sharp that I found it impossible to use.
Sharpie is my favorite.

Old January 31st 04, 02:52 PM
BigK

I use a Sharpie marker as well, and have had no problems with discs that
have been labeled. Also, in spite of warnings to the contrary, many of my
CD-Rs burned during the past 18 months have printed labels applied, both
from Imation and Fellowes. No failures have been observed as of yet, only
time will tell. Imation also furnished a marker with the kit I purchased
last year, but it was so thin/sharp that I found it impossible to use.
Sharpie is my favorite.

I have a pair of set top DVD players that don't like my cheap Verbatim DVDs
with adhesive lables applied.