ASUS P6T-Deluxe v2 strange RAM_not_detected_problem solved by chance

Old February 9th 15, 11:08 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Roland Schweiger[_5_]

Default ASUS P6T-Deluxe v2 strange RAM_not_detected_problem solved by chance

Here is a curious story.

The mobo is an ASUS P6T-Deluxe v2 with an i7_920 processor and
3x 2GB oF RAM running at 1,6GHz.

Over the past 4 years, a strange problem had occured that has also
been described by others:

When starting the computer "cold", all 6 GB of RAM were detected.
When rebooting from a warm state, most of the time only 4 GB of RAM
were detected.
This led me to deactivate suspend-to-disk state.

Only a week ago, i cloned my 1 TB hard-disk and replaced the HDD with
a 2 TB one.
Both HDDs are / were SATA 300, both were of the Seagate barracuda
series, so nothing spectacular.

But now ever since, the RAM_not_being_detected problem seems to have
disappeared.
No matter if i boot the machine warm or cold or reboot after many
hours of operation,
always the 6 GB of RAM are detected.

Great! But i wonder if anyone has an explanation for this?
Where is the connection between a HDD and the RAM? ;-)

greetings from Vienna

Roland Schweiger

Old February 9th 15, 03:18 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Rodney Pont[_5_]

On Mon, 9 Feb 2015 12:08:25 +0100, Roland Schweiger wrote:

But now ever since, the RAM_not_being_detected problem seems to have
disappeared.
No matter if i boot the machine warm or cold or reboot after many
hours of operation,
always the 6 GB of RAM are detected.

Great! But i wonder if anyone has an explanation for this?
Where is the connection between a HDD and the RAM? ;-)

I'd guess that the vibration caused by replacing the drive has caused
the RAM to seat properly. Had you tried removing and reinserting the
RAM to solve the problem?

--
Faster, cheaper, quieter than HS2
and built in 5 years;

Old February 9th 15, 04:30 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Roland Schweiger[_5_]

I'd guess that the vibration caused by replacing the drive has caused
the RAM to seat properly. Had you tried removing and reinserting the
RAM to solve the problem?

Yes indeed, i did that a year ago ... took out all the RAMs and put
them back in in different order,
the problem remained at that time.

greetings

Roland Schweiger

Old February 9th 15, 07:02 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Rodney Pont[_5_]

On Mon, 9 Feb 2015 17:30:59 +0100, Roland Schweiger wrote:

I'd guess that the vibration caused by replacing the drive has caused
the RAM to seat properly. Had you tried removing and reinserting the
RAM to solve the problem?

Yes indeed, i did that a year ago ... took out all the RAMs and put
them back in in different order,
the problem remained at that time.

Seems to me then that it's just lucky magic :-)

Old February 9th 15, 11:00 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Roland Schweiger[_5_]

"Rodney Pont" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
fohit.me.uk...

Seems to me then that it's just lucky magic :-)

hi. magic in computer science, wow :-)

Old February 10th 15, 02:06 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

Roland Schweiger wrote:
"Rodney Pont" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
fohit.me.uk...

Seems to me then that it's just lucky magic :-)

hi. magic in computer science, wow :-)

I vaguely remember a claim at one time, that adjusting
some "voltage" in the BIOS, might change the RAM detection.
And probably not VDIMM. It could be the voltage fed to the
memory interface block (IMC).

http://hardforum.com/archive/index.php/t-1546247.html

"it seems that in this case it is more of issues
of the vcore, qpi, and pll getting in sync"

Certainly a bad socket could be causing the problem,
but then there are people who have stuff work on one
boot and not on the next boot. And I refuse to believe
a gold on gold contact, with biting action, is going
to do that. But maybe a marginal set of operating
voltages might. It's also possible a BIOS update
makes a difference to behavior (better AUTO choices
baked into the BIOS).

Paul