Acer Netbook battery won't charge

Old June 4th 10, 02:48 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
[email protected]

Default Acer Netbook battery won't charge

On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 18:27:12 -0400, Ben Myers
wrote:

On 6/3/2010 2:30 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 08:17:19 -0400,
wrote:

On Wed, 02 Jun 2010 20:48:34 -0400,
wrote:

On Wed, 02 Jun 2010 09:17:37 -0400,
wrote:

Typical behavior for Acer POS. Its beginning to die. Better start
looking for a replacement.

Acer is not the second largest computer manufacturer in the world
without good reason. Like anyone else's product, their cheap stuff is
cheap - but their good stuff is as good as, or better than,(most of)
their competition.

That don't mean they're good. I had two, top of the liners and both
failed after a year. Repair/tech support was the pitts. I think acer
has a lot of "one time" purchasers.

Well, I sell computers - and I sell a LOT of Acers. I don't see many
quality issues. I see more HP/Compaq problems than Acer problems (and
I sell a lot less of them)

Quite a few customers are buying acers to replace 7 year old acers.
(which are still working just fine, thank you)

Well, for the most part I avoid selling HPaq computers, too. The
exceptions are XW4000 series workstations which are powerful and quiet,
much quieter than comparable Dell or other higher end systems.

You can take all the computers of all brands sold in mass market retail
stores and toss them in the dumpster. There is a reason why every name
brand manufacturer has both consumer and business systems. Consumer
computers are assembled from cheaper parts, with the realization that if
they fail, the company can deal with consumers on a one-off basis
without serious repercussions. Business-class computers are generally
sturdier and made with better quality parts, with the realization that
if a big corporation buys a few thousand and they don't work right, they
will be sitting on the loading dock to be returned to the manufacturer.
This is something of an over-generalization, but it has largely held
true for all of this century and most of the '90s.

So if the OP bought the netbook from a mass market retailer, the netbook
is probably a piece of crap. But, then, I think that all netbooks are
throwaway pieces of crap. For a couple more pounds of weight and many
more bucks, I would prefer to have a name-brand 12" notebook computer
with fewer compromises in LCD quality and a keyboard with
reasonably-sized keys. Again, I am tarring and feathering all netbooks.
But that's my opinion, FWIW, after many decades in this business...
Ben Myers

I'd tend to agree with you - the poster should have said it's a cheap
POS Netbook (left Acer right out of the equation)
Old June 4th 10, 05:38 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
Ed Maier

On 6/3/2010 8:48 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 18:27:12 -0400, Ben
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

You guys are the ones saying the Acer netbook is a POS. I never brought
it up*. (I have a friend on another group that bought three for his kids
and they're *all* still working.) Something happened to mine and I
described it and inquired if anyone experienced a similar problem,
hoping there might be a simple fix. The whole situation is surreal
because I seldom have problems with hardware.

BTW, my current desktop is an HP P6212f, my wife's is a Compaq SR1834NX,
I have an iMac 20 right behind me, and a Toshiba notebook in the other
room. No problems with any of it.

Ed

*I did compare it to an Esteban guitar on a completely unrelated group.