[OT] DSL Internet

Old February 27th 09, 07:45 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Simchak

Default [OT] DSL Internet

Good afternoon--

What I'm trying to find out is whether or not having multiple users
online at the same time will degrade the performance of DSL broadband.
I'm using DSL through AT&T, currently 6 mbps. It's just me and one
other sporadic user. If another power user gets online, will there be a
noticeable drop in throughput? Does it make any difference if one user
is via ethernet and others are via wireless?

Thanks.

Tom S.
Houston, TX
Old February 27th 09, 08:37 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_2_]

Tom Simchak wrote:
Good afternoon--

What I'm trying to find out is whether or not having multiple users
online at the same time will degrade the performance of DSL broadband.
I'm using DSL through AT&T, currently 6 mbps. It's just me and one
other sporadic user. If another power user gets online, will there be a
noticeable drop in throughput? Does it make any difference if one user
is via ethernet and others are via wireless?

Thanks.

Tom S.
Houston, TX

It all depends on what you are both doing. For casual web browsing,
there should be no difference with one or two people sharing a DSL line.
But if one is doing a download (say a 300+MB Windows update), it is
possible that the other will see a slowdown. In most cases, no great
difference how the connection to DSL is made, whether Ethernet or wifi.

.... Ben Myers
Old February 27th 09, 09:20 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
John Novicki Jr

I would second Ben's opinion and go a little further. Wireless, for some
intents and purposes (and depending on setup) is usually slower than a wired
connection. However, it does depend on what one is doing. The more
"downloading" done, the more bandwidth being used, and therefore, slower
speeds for other activities. However, for most activities, as Ben said, not
much of a difference.

John

Old February 27th 09, 10:36 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis[_3_]

"Tom Simchak" wrote in message
Good afternoon--

What I'm trying to find out is whether or not having multiple users online
at the same time will degrade the performance of DSL broadband. I'm using
DSL through AT&T, currently 6 mbps. It's just me and one other sporadic
user. If another power user gets online, will there be a noticeable drop
in throughput? Does it make any difference if one user is via ethernet
and others are via wireless?

Thanks.

Tom S.
Houston, TX

No, not in my almost 8 years of experience on Bellsouth/now AT&T. And I've
only been at either 1.5 or 3.0 speeds.

My brother had both 3.0 and then the 6.0 and told me that he couldn't
readily discern any speed differences.

Old February 27th 09, 11:54 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR[_2_]

On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 13:45:21 -0600, Tom Simchak
wrote:

Good afternoon--

What I'm trying to find out is whether or not having multiple users
online at the same time will degrade the performance of DSL broadband.
I'm using DSL through AT&T, currently 6 mbps. It's just me and one
other sporadic user. If another power user gets online, will there be a
noticeable drop in throughput? Does it make any difference if one user
is via ethernet and others are via wireless?

Thanks.

Tom S.
Houston, TX

Tom, I'll third Ben's advice based on my own experiences. Likely
most of the time you won't see any difference but that really depends
on what the users are doing. In my house 99% of the time with 2 or 3
users on a wireless network sharing the internet, no difference.
Old February 28th 09, 01:34 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
noname

wrote:

Good afternoon--

What I'm trying to find out is whether or not having multiple users
online at the same time will degrade the performance of DSL broadband.
I'm using DSL through AT&T, currently 6 mbps. It's just me and one
other sporadic user. If another power user gets online, will there be a
noticeable drop in throughput? Does it make any difference if one user
is via ethernet and others are via wireless?

Thanks.

Tom S.
Houston, TX

Tom, I'll third Ben's advice based on my own experiences. Likely
most of the time you won't see any difference but that really depends
on what the users are doing. In my house 99% of the time with 2 or 3
users on a wireless network sharing the internet, no difference.

Just go to www.dslreports.com and do a speed test under various
circumstances and see what you get.

HTH,
john
Old February 28th 09, 11:40 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

Thanks but I don't need to. I've done this long enough to see the
difference without a benchmark.
Old March 2nd 09, 03:43 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Simchak

OK, thanks to all who replied. I'll have to wait and see if/when the
other power user joins in on the fun to see if there is any major
difference.

Tom S.
Houston, TX

Tom Simchak wrote:
Good afternoon--

What I'm trying to find out is whether or not having multiple users
online at the same time will degrade the performance of DSL broadband.
I'm using DSL through AT&T, currently 6 mbps. It's just me and one
other sporadic user. If another power user gets online, will there be a
noticeable drop in throughput? Does it make any difference if one user
is via ethernet and others are via wireless?

Thanks.

Tom S.
Houston, TX

Internet is up but IE is down - how to fix? noxbox Homebuilt PC's 8 June 10th 08 01:34 AM
The Internet geoff Homebuilt PC's 7 April 15th 07 02:48 AM
Getting onto Internet [email protected] Homebuilt PC's 2 February 21st 07 11:36 PM
internet pc Dilbert Firestorm Homebuilt PC's 28 October 9th 03 04:29 PM