BSoD 0x7E Windows Vista Ultimate x64

Old June 24th 08, 02:33 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Animenia[_13_]

Default BSoD 0x7E Windows Vista Ultimate x64

I'm recieving a BSoD on every 2nd or 3rd boot after I installed Windows
Vista Ultima x64.
Here are the specs of the system.

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 2.6GHz
Motherboard: Asus Striker Extreme
Chipset: Nvidia SLi 680 SPP
Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTX (x2 SLI)
RAM: A-Data 4x 2GB PC2-6400 400 MHz

I've tried booting without SLi.
I've tried to rule out faulty memories and faulty memory slots on the
motherboard and from that I noticed that whenever I boot with only 1 ram
memory from the first slot the boot works every time without a BSoD
appearing.

However if I were to plug in a 2nd memory the BSoD appears and same
with the 3rd and 4th.
This happens no matter what slots I put them in.

I've tried flashing the bios with no success.
I've tried newer drivers for the chipset.
The diagnostic tests I've run on the memories has all passed.

I also considered the video card drivers might be the cause of the
issue but seeing how everything works as long as I only one memory stick
at a time I doubt that's the cause for it.

I read around on the web and found that in general this BSoD could
point towards a faulty harddrive but I have a hard time believing that
the harddrive could be causing this issue due to the memory part.

Any ideas?
All I can think about at this moment is that the motherboard can't
handle the pressure from working 8 GB of ram and SLi.
But then again... It should be able to handle 4GB but it doesn't.

Could it be that the hardware isn't compatible with a 64 bit version of
Vista Ultimate? I've never heard of hardware working with a 32 bit
version but not a 64 bit version tho.

Old June 24th 08, 04:13 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Fred[_8_]

Did you apply the kb929777 patch with just one stick of ram installed or
install the latest service pack to overcome the problem?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929777

Old June 24th 08, 04:40 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Animenia wrote:
[...]

Knowing the detailed message of the BSOD would help. Is the
BSOD type the same in each case ?

Have you followed a tweaking guide for your motherboard ?

The Asus forum has a sticky posting at the top, "CPU Init", with
some suggested tweaks. Sometimes the RAM needs a little extra
voltage, to be stable. Undoubtedly, your motherboard has
lots of settings to adjust.

http://vip.asus.com/forum/topic.aspx...ngu age=en-us

Paul

Old June 25th 08, 04:06 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Animenia[_14_]

I haven't tried either of your suggestion but I will as soon as I can,
Thanks for the answers and I'll get back to you if these steps will work

Vista Ultimate Journey Dell Computers 6 September 2nd 07 11:23 PM
Vista Ultimate Purchase and Use Journey Dell Computers 24 August 16th 07 10:05 PM
P5B Deluxe and Vista Ultimate Bill Davis Jr Asus Motherboards 7 February 13th 07 06:28 PM
m2n32-sli dx and Vista Ultimate x86 Meth Asus Motherboards 0 February 4th 07 01:34 AM
OT - Vista Ultimate offer georgie Dell Computers 10 January 21st 07 02:38 PM