Data CDs

Old April 17th 06, 06:53 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

Default Data CDs

On 15 Apr 2006 22:18:32 GMT, (Brendan R.
Wehrung) wrote:

"Smoky Mountain Writer" ) writes:
Thank you for taking time to reply. I've tried Roxio 7.5. Recording in
CD-RW goes smoothly, but when I make changes and click on save, I get
the message "This is a read only file. Word cannot save, or create a
new file."

I tried "Save as" and get the same message.

Any suggestions on how to overcome this?

I didn't want to put Roxio or Nero pakcet software on my computer so I
switched to a thumb dirve for Word Perfect and Corel DRaw files, which
have the same problem. I haven't figured a way to archive them except on
a hard drive, or a CD-RW, which XP Home reads (but won't write). Time to
dig out the ole Zip drive.

Brendan

You must remove the read only file attributes before you can write to
files archived on to removable media. One of the better tools for that
is "CANWRITE" available at:
http://www.allapi.net/vbexamples/list.php?category=MISC

Direct Download at:
http://www.allapi.net/php/redirect/r...ownload&id=394

CANWRITE
The canwrite.exe removes the ReadOnly attribute of all files in a
directory and its subdirectories on hard drives.

or:

DIROPT
Like CANWRITE, but you can set more attributes and you can drag a
file or folder from windows explorer onto a shortcut to this
executable. You do not need to copy the executable to the directory.
http://www.allapi.net/vbexamples/list.php?category=MISC

Direct Download at:
http://www.allapi.net/vbexamples/vbe...&category=MISC

Once you make your changes to the files, rearchive the corrected
version to the removable media as a compressed file format (which
keeps the file attribute unchanged). To make a change to the
compressed arciived file, uncompress and then change it, then save to
the removable media as a new file. Using CDRW with packet writing
software allows one to work with drag and drop, but basically not that
much different than the manual way for any rewritable removable media.

Shadow

Old April 17th 06, 09:32 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------
http://tinyurl.com/6eldj

(No Pipsqueaks have been able to prove ANY of the above is a LIBEL)
( )
( -- despite Mikey claimed to have proof of misquotes !! )
'

All Things Mopar wrote:

smh wrote:

All Things Mopar squeaked:

But, learn
from my /really/ serious mistake - do /not/ try to read
discs burned with anybody's UDF in SP2, it /will/ crash it
to a BSOD!

Don't you play DVD video on your winxp/sp2?

I don't watch any movies on my PC, that isn't what it is for, so
I don't know if DVDs using any incantation of UDF crashed my
system. However, as I stated earlier, I traced the BSOD bull****
to 3 errant .sys files store in c:\windows\system32\drivers as I
recall. Once these 3 files were removed, everything has worked
A-OK.

Just want to point out that the "native" file system on DVD is UDF.
Have you heard of other winxp/sp2 crashing playing DVD video?
Old April 17th 06, 10:40 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

Today smh commented courteously on the subject at hand

All Things Mopar squeaked:

But, learn
from my /really/ serious mistake - do /not/ try to read
discs burned with anybody's UDF in SP2, it /will/ crash
it to a BSOD!

Don't you play DVD video on your winxp/sp2?

I don't watch any movies on my PC, that isn't what it is
for, so I don't know if DVDs using any incantation of UDF
crashed my system. However, as I stated earlier, I traced
the BSOD bull**** to 3 errant .sys files store in
c:\windows\system32\drivers as I recall. Once these 3
files were removed, everything has worked A-OK.

Just want to point out that the "native" file system on DVD
is UDF. Have you heard of other winxp/sp2 crashing playing
DVD video?

No. I searched the MS KB and Googled for over 5 months on this
before my computer guru nephew asked me one night if it might
be an errant driver, which caused me to look at the .sys
files. How it was I figured it out was to uninstall both my
CD/DVD drives, delete everything containing the string "udf
sys", restarting Windoze, letting it re-detect the drives and
searching for "udf sys" again. The 2nd time there was only
one. udfs.sys.

Since I don't view DVD movies on my PC (that's what a big
screen TV is for), I really don't know if they fail or not. In
my case, it was all data CD-Rs and DVD-Rs. I use UDF when I
need more than the 64 character file names allowed by Joliet
for my pictures.

And, again for any lurkers coming in late, this was really my
bad for installing Roxio 5 on my fresh SP2 install. Yes, Roxio
5 runs on XP when double patched but has no DVD burning
capability so I shoulda known better and just bit the bullet
and bought something newer. I think why I couldn't find any
hits Googling was that not that many people have the combo of
SP2 + Roxio 5 + UDF discs. 'Nuff said.

--
ATM, aka Jerry

"Whether You Think You CAN Or CAN'T, You're Right." – Henry
Ford
Old April 17th 06, 11:11 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

Default Mike Richter is a LIAR (winxp/udf)(i)

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

All Things Mopar squeaked:

But, learn
from my /really/ serious mistake - do /not/ try to read discs
burned with anybody's UDF in SP2, it /will/ crash it to a BSOD!

You may be referring to this:

=====================================
Mike Richter is a LIAR (winxp/udf)(i)
=====================================

When Mikey was weaseling out DirectCD bug:

======================
From: Mike Richter (cRoxio ****)
Date: 9/7/01

How do I read DirectCD3 CD-RW disks in Windows XP?
Windows XP claims they are empty

XP's UDF reader is new, different and
incompatible with the standard.

======================
From: Mike Richter (Slimy Friggin ****)
Date: 9/8/01

How do i read cd-rw that I have formatted in direct cd.
I am using win XP

At this point, there seems to be no way.

The XP reader is reported to be incompatible
with fixed-length packet writing.
======================

But when Mikey cock-a-doodle-doo DirectCD:

======================
From: Mike Richter (cRoxio ****)
Date: 1/5/04

There is a UDF standard. At least until recently...
only Roxio was fully compliant with it.

I believe that XP's read capability is also fully compliant.
======================

-------------------------------
Wow! What a slimy friggin SOB!
-------------------------------

Mikey, you are The Slimiest Friggin SOB!
Old April 19th 06, 03:29 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

Default Mike Richter is a LIAR (winxp/udf)(violent)

Today smh commented courteously on the subject at hand

Don't blame winxp/sp2's udf support for the DirectCD bug:

You appear to be replying to me, but I never said anything about
DirectCD, which I discovered is a POS about a week after
starting it X years ago, uninstalled it and never looked back.
My SP2 box never installed it.

Old April 19th 06, 10:01 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

.. -------------------------------------------
how HUGE are your BALLS, Adrian Miller?
Only a trashy company like Roxio or Adaptec
let loosed in Usenet this utter trash
Deirdre Straughan (Roxio) is a LIAR
-----------------------------------
Mike Richter is a LIAR
----------------------

All Things Mopar wrote:

Today smh commented courteously on the subject at hand

Don't blame winxp/sp2's udf support for the DirectCD bug:

You appear to be replying to me, but I never said anything about
DirectCD, which I discovered is a POS about a week after
starting it X years ago, uninstalled it and never looked back.
My SP2 box never installed it.

This can happen only with DirectCD discs and I thought you could be
blaming winxp/sp2 he

But, learn from my /really/ serious mistake - do /not/ try
to read discs burned with anybody's UDF in SP2, it /will/
crash it to a BSOD!

And from these:

=======================
From: Mike Richter (cRoxio ****)
Date: 9/7/01

From: Adrian Miller (cRoxio)
Date: 10/29/01
Subject: Does DirectCD 5.02b work at all with WinXP?

The UDF support built into XP is violently incompatible
with DCD prior to 5.1
=======================
Old April 19th 06, 03:41 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

Today smh commented courteously on the subject at hand

You appear to be replying to me, but I never said anything
about DirectCD, which I discovered is a POS about a week
after starting it X years ago, uninstalled it and never
looked back. My SP2 box never installed it.

This can happen only with DirectCD discs and I thought you
could be blaming winxp/sp2 he

But, learn from my /really/ serious mistake - do /not/
try to read discs burned with anybody's UDF in SP2, it
/will/ crash it to a BSOD!

You seem to be clairvoyant as I don't see "DirectCD" in their,
although you could leap to an incorrect conclusion based on
the unfounded assumption that "anybody's" includes DCD, which
isn't at all the connotation I meant.

I see no further need to try to reason with a fool and obvious
troll here, so you're gone.

And from these:

=======================
From: Mike Richter (cRoxio ****)
Date: 9/7/01

Old April 19th 06, 09:51 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

..
All Things Mopar (****ing Bitch) bitched:

smh wrote:

You appear to be replying to me, but I never said anything
about DirectCD, which I discovered is a POS about a week
after starting it X years ago, uninstalled it and never
looked back. My SP2 box never installed it.

This can happen only with DirectCD discs and I thought you
could be blaming winxp/sp2 he

But, learn from my /really/ serious mistake - do /not/
try to read discs burned with anybody's UDF in SP2, it
/will/ crash it to a BSOD!

You seem to be clairvoyant as I don't see "DirectCD" in their,
although you could leap to an incorrect conclusion based on
the unfounded assumption that "anybody's" includes DCD, which
isn't at all the connotation I meant.

It's very simple, ****ing Bitch. That can happen only with DirectCD.
That cannot happen with any other. Why don't you name one, ****ing
Bitch?

I see no further need to try to reason with a fool and obvious
troll here, so you're gone.

**** off, ****ing Bitch!

..