Mobile Fidelity CDr's (is it risky to burn higher than 1x)?

Old August 3rd 05, 03:41 AM
soundandvision

Default Mobile Fidelity CDr's (is it risky to burn higher than 1x)?

I recently purchased some Mobile Fidelity CDr's and I wanted to burn
some things that are very important to me (audio). Their website
advises to burn at 'real time' or 1x. I've burned a couple of things
at 4x (with Exact Audio Copy -- EAC) and everything seems fine. I just
want to check with others who know if I really should be burning at 1x
instead?

I would burn at 1x but the only burning program I have is EAC and it
only goes down to 4x.

Old August 3rd 05, 05:48 AM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

soundandvision wrote:

I recently purchased some Mobile Fidelity CDr's and I wanted to burn
some things that are very important to me (audio). Their website
advises to burn at 'real time' or 1x. I've burned a couple of things
at 4x (with Exact Audio Copy -- EAC) and everything seems fine. I just
want to check with others who know if I really should be burning at 1x
instead?

I would burn at 1x but the only burning program I have is EAC and it
only goes down to 4x.

(Check your burner spec to see if it supports 1x. 4x is the slowest
with the current crop of burners, that is, you don't have a choice.)

Don't know if you should or not, but the demo version of CDRWin burns
only at 1x:
http://www.goldenhawk.com
'

Who Is Mike Richter and
Why Are They Saying All These Horrible Things About Him?
http://tinyurl.com/6eldj

(No Mikey S-lickers have been able to prove ANY of the following is)
( a LIBEL -- despite Mikey claimed to have proof of misquotes !! )

Mike Richter is a LIAR (wife beating)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (critical bugs)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (major bug)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (nda limit)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (nda)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (no secret)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (no secret)(ii)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (dae)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (enhanced-cd)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (no enhanced cd)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (enhanced-cd/cdr-faq)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (cd-extra/cd-text)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (cd-extra/sao/tao)(i)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (cd-extra/single-session)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/winme)(i)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/winme)(ii)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/win2k)(i)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/win2k)(ii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/win2k)(iii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/win2k)(iv)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/plextor)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(i)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(ii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(iii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(iv)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(v)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(vi)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(vii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(8a)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(9a)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (i)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (ii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (iii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (iv)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (v)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (vi)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (vii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (viii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (ix)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (x)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (xi)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (xii)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (supplied cd)

What's wrong with Mike Richter (Tim Kroesen) (i)
What's wrong with Mike Richter (Tim Kroesen) (ii)

Mike Richter Wow! Wow! Wow!

Mike Richter's Exquisite Sense of Time (i)
Mike Richter's Exquisite Sense of Time (ii)
Mike Richter's Exquisite Sense of Time (iii)

Mike Richter & "Looooooooonng" Time for Nothing

What an Asshole
Old August 3rd 05, 01:19 PM
James Perrett

On 2 Aug 2005 19:41:23 -0700, soundandvision
wrote:

I recently purchased some Mobile Fidelity CDr's and I wanted to burn
some things that are very important to me (audio). Their website
advises to burn at 'real time' or 1x. I've burned a couple of things
at 4x (with Exact Audio Copy -- EAC) and everything seems fine. I just
want to check with others who know if I really should be burning at 1x
instead?

I would burn at 1x but the only burning program I have is EAC and it
only goes down to 4x.

Who makes the Mobile Fidelity discs? I'd guess at Mitsui or one of its
offshoots. These discs are almost certainly intended for use in audio
recorders which, by definition, work in real time at 1X.

Most audio only discs will work at 4X in a computer drive but, if the data
really is as precious as you say, then you need to test each burn with a
drive that will report low level errors (like a Plextor Premium with
Plextools) so that you can properly ascertain the quality of the burn. You
might be surprised to find that higher speed burns are better quality than
low speed burns with many drive/media combinations.

Cheers.

James.
Old August 3rd 05, 06:23 PM
Mike Richter

soundandvision wrote:
I recently purchased some Mobile Fidelity CDr's and I wanted to burn
some things that are very important to me (audio). Their website
advises to burn at 'real time' or 1x. I've burned a couple of things
at 4x (with Exact Audio Copy -- EAC) and everything seems fine. I just
want to check with others who know if I really should be burning at 1x
instead?

I would burn at 1x but the only burning program I have is EAC and it
only goes down to 4x.

The usual answer applies: Measure the quality. It's easy enough with
CDSpeed or an equivalent to determine C1 and C2 error counts. Though
others assure me that it's not possible to have zero errors, that is my
routine result with Mitsui silver and Taiyo-Yuden media in a Plexwriter
at 12x. If you are getting errors, try other speeds. If EAC won't burn
slower than 4x and you want 1x, look for other software such as Feurio
or Nero.

Mike
--

http://www.mrichter.com/
Old August 4th 05, 03:52 AM
soundandvision

Okay, I downloaded CDSpeed and used it (didn't delve into all of it's
functions, though). For example...one of the discs I made the other
day had 2 C1 errors, is this serious? No jitter, no C2 errors.

I'm looking online for a good copy of Nero..seems like everything is
trial version only. I would like to burn at 1x since MFSL suggests
that.

Does Nero offer the same type of ripping that EAC does? I really like
the layout (and am used to) EAC. Knowing that my track quality is 100%
is reassuring, I like that in EAC

Old August 4th 05, 03:55 AM
soundandvision

I noticed that Nero only goes down to 4x, too..

Old August 4th 05, 05:44 AM
Mike Richter

soundandvision wrote:
I noticed that Nero only goes down to 4x, too..

No, Nero will do whatever your blank and your drive will support. I just
checked - though I was sure - and it runs down to 1x on an old blank
(made in 1998 - I've been at this for a while) in a Plexwriter 1210s.

Why is it always the software that gets the blame? Presumably (given the
properties you cite), the blank permits 1x writing. Given that Nero (and
EAC - I checked that as well) would happily write at 1x, the conclusion
is: Your drive doesn't write slower than 4x.

Of course, if you had mentioned the name somewhere along the line,
someone might have confirmation to offer. Without knowing make and
model, all I can say is that many modern super-duper-extra-fast drives
won't write slowly.

As for your error count: it's low, but I'll bet it would be lower still
(probably 0, 0) at 1x or 2x.

Mike
--

http://www.mrichter.com/
Old August 4th 05, 06:11 AM
soundandvision

Mike,

Here's my drive info...

Lite-On LTN486S 48x Max

Old August 4th 05, 06:11 AM
soundandvision

Mike,

Here's my drive info...

Lite-On LTN486S 48x Max

Old August 4th 05, 12:49 PM
James Perrett

On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 10:23:20 -0700, Mike Richter wrote:

The usual answer applies: Measure the quality. It's easy enough with
CDSpeed or an equivalent to determine C1 and C2 error counts. Though
others assure me that it's not possible to have zero errors, that is my
routine result with Mitsui silver and Taiyo-Yuden media in a Plexwriter
at 12x.

Are you using the 1210S to measure errors? If so then I'm not surprised
that you don't see any C1 errors because it can't report them. Only
certain newer chipsets support the measurement of C1 errors. The 1210S can
report C2 errors but these should never occur with a properly working
drive and reasonable quality discs.

Cheers.

James.