M2N32-SLI Deluxe: System Turns Off after 5 Seconds of Turning On

Old December 4th 07, 02:04 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul[_11_]

Default M2N32-SLI Deluxe: System Turns Off after 5 Seconds of Turning On

On Mon, 3 Dec 2007 09:16:47 -0500, "Jack R"
wrote:

--stuff deleted--

Thanks for the suggestion. I will try a PS from another computer.
Even though the system runs for 5 secs, do you think it could be
the Seasonic? If the PS had gone bad, wouldn't the computer fail
to even start?

BTW, top posting is not preferred in these newsgroups, so readers can
more
easily follow the thread.

Will keep that in mind next time. Thanks.

Best regards,
Paul

Paul, You'd be amazed at the bizarre problems an
intermittent/unstable/flakey/failing power supply can cause...

Jack R

I replaced the power supply and it still didn't work.
Since I needed my computer for work, I had no choice but
to go to the local computer shop and buy a new M2N32-SLI.
I replaced the motherboard and everything started working
again. So, the problem was a faulty motherboard after all.
I contacted ASUS and got an RMA for the defective board.

I wonder if this is a common problem with this board?
Will they send me a new board or a refurbished one?

Regards,
Paul
Old December 4th 07, 04:38 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Roger Hamlett

wrote:

[...]

Double check the fan on the old unit.
What you are describing, is exactly what will happen, if a 'tacho'
signal is not being received from the CPU fan. The system will
shutdown a couple of seconds latter, if the CPU is not being cooled,
but an immediate 'no boot', will happen if the CPU decides it's fan is
not going round. It bases this decision on the tacho pin from the fan.

Best Wishes
Old December 5th 07, 10:23 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
666

On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 21:01:55 -0500, "Jack R"
wrote:

BTW, top posting is not preferred in these newsgroups, so readers can more
easily follow the thread.

Dead Horse Alert
Dinosaur Detected

If there's a god in heaven, there's a special corner of hell
reserved for people like you, and guess what you get to read for all
eternity ?

Old December 6th 07, 12:18 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Jack R

wrote:

BTW, top posting is not preferred in these newsgroups, so readers can more
easily follow the thread.

Dead Horse Alert
Dinosaur Detected

If there's a god in heaven, there's a special corner of hell
reserved for people like you, and guess what you get to read for all
eternity ?

Thank you so much for your valued contribution.

Jack R

Old December 6th 07, 11:04 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Jack R

"BlackRain" wrote in message
ews.com...
On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 21:01:55 -0500, "Jack R" :

get a life.....some more experienced people don't want to wade thru page
with
700 post that is 4miles long...post as you please and quit acting like
Johnny
the Internet cop....take your spam elsewhere...

At least I tried to help with the problem.
Jack R

Old December 7th 07, 07:54 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Steven Saunderson

On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 18:04:42 -0500, "Jack R"
wrote:

At least I tried to help with the problem.

Quite right Jack and thank you for being helpful.

Top-posting is annoying especially when the entire parent message is
quoted underneath. It might be better if top-posters just wrote their
reply and didn't quote the parent message at all.

However, bottom-posting is annoying when the reader must search through
pages of quoted message just to find a single-line reply at the end so I
can see what BlackRain is talking about.

At least Paul took your advice and his later post fits in much better
than his first reply. BlackRain's post is terrible.

--
Steven
Old December 7th 07, 07:58 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Man-wai Chang ToDie

I would sincerely appreciate any help with my problem. Yesterday
I went to turn on my PC, and then 4 or 5 secs later after turning
on it turns off. The fans go on, the hard drives start spinning,
and then mysteriously the system turns off. Unfortunately my case
(Antec P180 silver) doesn't have a built-in speaker, so I don't
know if there are any audible error codes.
One more thing, the day before this problem I updated to the
latest BIOS. Could this have anything to do with it? After
updating the BIOS, I restarted several and it worked perfectly.
However, the next day when I went to turn it on, I had this
damned problem. :-(

Very likely the BIOS. I encountered the same symptom when my M2N-E's
BIOS was damaged while trying to overclock my AMD X2 3800+. I needed to
take the board to Hong Kong/s distributor to re-program the BIOS after
the engineer unplugged the BIOS chip from the board.

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (Xubuntu 7.04) Linux 2.6.23.9
Old December 7th 07, 01:11 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Jack R

wrote:

At least I tried to help with the problem.

Quite right Jack and thank you for being helpful.

Top-posting is annoying especially when the entire parent message is
quoted underneath. It might be better if top-posters just wrote their
reply and didn't quote the parent message at all.

However, bottom-posting is annoying when the reader must search through
pages of quoted message just to find a single-line reply at the end so I
can see what BlackRain is talking about.

At least Paul took your advice and his later post fits in much better
than his first reply. BlackRain's post is terrible.

--
Steven

I agree with your reply.
Thanks for the positive response.
Jack R

Old December 8th 07, 07:01 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Bill Jemison

On a very minor note, I have black P180, that also wasn't equipped with
a built in speaker. I stopped by a local computer shop (not a national
chain but a place that builds computers) and they sold me a small
speaker that I clipped to the inside grill (at the bottom by the lower
hard drive enclosure) and connected to the mother board.

I like to be able to hear the audio part of the boot. I think it can
provide a useful diagnostic.

Good luck,

Bill

Paul wrote:
Hello,

I would sincerely appreciate any help with my problem. Yesterday
I went to turn on my PC, and then 4 or 5 secs later after turning
on it turns off. The fans go on, the hard drives start spinning,
and then mysteriously the system turns off. Unfortunately my case
(Antec P180 silver) doesn't have a built-in speaker, so I don't
know if there are any audible error codes.

I have 2 sticks of Corsair 1GB DDR memory, so I removed one.
No luck. I erased the BIOS memory. Again, no luck. I read
in some forums that if you press the reset button twice right
after turning on, you will be able to see POST and enter the
BIOS settings. Unfortunately, no luck.

One more thing, the day before this problem I updated to the
latest BIOS. Could this have anything to do with it? After
updating the BIOS, I restarted several and it worked perfectly.
However, the next day when I went to turn it on, I had this
damned problem. :-(

Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be? I would
be very grateful for any help.

Thank you,
Paul

Old December 11th 07, 12:46 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
[email protected]

so bash me for posting wrong...you can even call me noob, because i
dont care.

My experience with my M2N32-SLI is exactly the same as yourn. (yes
yourN)
Months have gone by without any problems, and mysteriously, the system
does not boot and does not provide any POST codes. I went through the
same gruelling task of unplugging, testing, swapping, poking,
prodding, and even swearing at my children and beating my wife (which
didnt help boot my system, but my mobo will be be RMA"d by the time
I'm out of the big house)
To make my boring story short, I called Asus and my board is being
RMA'd. They have a 3 year warranty so might as well take advantage of
it. If its bad, they fix it. If it aint broken, they'll send it back
in unbroken condition. I'm told they'll inform me what went wrong
with it so should it be shorted hardware, I can remedy the situation