Recommended RAM for Athlon 64 2800

Old November 3rd 04, 06:36 AM
Dominik Roblek

Default Recommended RAM for Athlon 64 2800

I will buy MSI K8TM-ILSR mainboard with AMD Athlon 64 2800 processor. I
would like to ask which RAM is better for this configuration. Do I need
DDR400 or DDR333 RAM modules for Athlon 64 2800? Which is better in terms of
performance: CL3 or CL2.5?

Here are possible choices:
- 512 MB Infineon DDR400 (PC400) CL3 RAM
- 512 MB Infineon DDR333 (PC333) CL2.5 RAM
- 512 MB Kingston DDR400 CL2.5 Value RAM
- 512 MB Kingston DDR333 CL2.5 Value RAM
Which would be better for my configuration?

Thanks in advance!

Dominik

Old November 3rd 04, 10:10 AM
Cuzman

"Dominik Roblek" wrote in message

" Do I need DDR400 or DDR333 RAM modules for Athlon 64 2800? Which is
better in terms of performance: CL3 or CL2.5? "

DDR400 CL2.5 is the best option from the ones you displayed.

Old November 3rd 04, 10:45 AM
Gareth Tuckwell

"Dominik Roblek" wrote in message
I will buy MSI K8TM-ILSR mainboard with AMD Athlon 64 2800 processor. I
would like to ask which RAM is better for this configuration. Do I need
DDR400 or DDR333 RAM modules for Athlon 64 2800? Which is better in terms
of performance: CL3 or CL2.5?

Here are possible choices:
- 512 MB Infineon DDR400 (PC400) CL3 RAM
- 512 MB Infineon DDR333 (PC333) CL2.5 RAM
- 512 MB Kingston DDR400 CL2.5 Value RAM
- 512 MB Kingston DDR333 CL2.5 Value RAM
Which would be better for my configuration?

Best performance will be from the memory that is rated with the highest bus
speed (DDR number) and lowest latency (CL number).

1GB of DDR400 CL2 would be ideal!

Personally I don't care about the brand when buying RAM - I look at the
specs. A lot of people only stick to the branded memory, so take your pick!!

Also cross-posting (to more than one group) causes your message to be
filtered out by some newreaders (by choice), so not everyone will see your
question!

Old November 3rd 04, 04:09 PM
Mac Cool

Dominik Roblek:

Which is better in terms of performance: CL3 or CL2.5?

2.5 is faster but you would probably need benchmarks to tell the
difference and even then, the difference is likely to be insignificant to
most people.
--
Mac Cool
Old November 3rd 04, 04:16 PM
Bubba

Dominik Roblek's log on stardate 03 stu 2004

I will buy MSI K8TM-ILSR mainboard with AMD Athlon 64 2800 processor.

^^^
What do MSI recommends? It's their MBO after all; they should have a list
of recommended modules.

Here are possible choices:
- 512 MB Infineon DDR400 (PC400) CL3 RAM
- 512 MB Infineon DDR333 (PC333) CL2.5 RAM
- 512 MB Kingston DDR400 CL2.5 Value RAM
- 512 MB Kingston DDR333 CL2.5 Value RAM

Take the cheapest PC3200. BTW, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't JDEC
say that the highest CAS latencies for PC3200 modules are CL2.5?

--
Dear Osama,
I hope you are reading this post. If you are, please BOMB the ****ing
Old November 3rd 04, 08:53 PM
YanquiDawg

DDR 400 or better is what you need. Corsair is pretty much the best. Though not
the cheapest. Don't get the cheapest,get the best you can afford. The A64 and
new motherboards seem to be a bit more sensitive to RAM timings and cheap stuff
could cause problems.You'll hear arguments on both sides so it's up to you.

Old November 3rd 04, 10:52 PM
kony

On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 07:36:39 +0100, "Dominik Roblek"
wrote:

I will buy MSI K8TM-ILSR mainboard with AMD Athlon 64 2800 processor. I
would like to ask which RAM is better for this configuration. Do I need
DDR400 or DDR333 RAM modules for Athlon 64 2800? Which is better in terms of
performance: CL3 or CL2.5?

Here are possible choices:
- 512 MB Infineon DDR400 (PC400) CL3 RAM
- 512 MB Infineon DDR333 (PC333) CL2.5 RAM
- 512 MB Kingston DDR400 CL2.5 Value RAM
- 512 MB Kingston DDR333 CL2.5 Value RAM
Which would be better for my configuration?

Thanks in advance!

Dominik

512 MB Kingston DDR400 CL2.5 Value RAM

PC3200 CAS2.5 is the sweet spot for priceerformance,
though it looks like you're considering only what's
available from a single vendor, memory spot pricing can
vary.

Old November 4th 04, 12:31 AM
P.W.U.

Other choices you might want to consider that will work particularly well
with your A64 are Crucial Ballistix and OCZ Enhanced Bandwidth. Both are
reputed to have excellent compatibility with the Athlon 64s memory
controller (and most motherboards). The OCZ EB series was created with the
Athlon 64 in mind, but the Ballistix may just give you a smidge better
performance running at stock speeds (the difference would probably be so
small that you wouldn't even notice, though).

wrote:

I will buy MSI K8TM-ILSR mainboard with AMD Athlon 64 2800 processor. I
would like to ask which RAM is better for this configuration. Do I need
DDR400 or DDR333 RAM modules for Athlon 64 2800? Which is better in terms
of
performance: CL3 or CL2.5?

Here are possible choices:
- 512 MB Infineon DDR400 (PC400) CL3 RAM
- 512 MB Infineon DDR333 (PC333) CL2.5 RAM
- 512 MB Kingston DDR400 CL2.5 Value RAM
- 512 MB Kingston DDR333 CL2.5 Value RAM
Which would be better for my configuration?

Thanks in advance!

Dominik

512 MB Kingston DDR400 CL2.5 Value RAM

PC3200 CAS2.5 is the sweet spot for priceerformance,
though it looks like you're considering only what's
available from a single vendor, memory spot pricing can
vary.

---

Old November 4th 04, 05:36 AM
kony

On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 19:31:02 -0500, "P.W.U."
wrote:

Other choices you might want to consider that will work particularly well
with your A64 are Crucial Ballistix and OCZ Enhanced Bandwidth. Both are
reputed to have excellent compatibility with the Athlon 64s memory
controller (and most motherboards). The OCZ EB series was created with the
Athlon 64 in mind, but the Ballistix may just give you a smidge better
performance running at stock speeds (the difference would probably be so
small that you wouldn't even notice, though).

Well the difference in the wallet would be notiable though,
either are ridiculously expensive... there are so many
better ways to improve performance than high-end memory that
it doesn't belong in anything but a $2000+ PC.

"Created with the Athlon 64 in mind" is utter nonsense too,
the chip design pre-dates the A64 and OCZ doesn't even make
memory, they relabel it.
Old November 4th 04, 11:44 PM
A.U.

"kony" wrote in message
"Created with the Athlon 64 in mind" is utter nonsense too,

Well, that's what somebody from OCZ told me. Perhaps it was just PR
nonsense... I wouldn't deny that that is a distinct possibility. However,
I'm no expert on OCZ RAM -- never claimed to be. Are you?

the chip design pre-dates the A64 and OCZ doesn't even make
memory, they relabel it.

Whether OCZ makes the memory or not, you can't dispute that the EB Series
level of compatibility with picky Athlon 64 CPUs and motherboards far
exceeds that of many other memory products.

Why do you reply with such an arrogant, snot-nosed tone? I was just offering
the OP a couple of options they might not have been aware of. That person
can accept or discard the advice as they see fit. And there are people who
would disagree with your thoughts on high-end memory, depending on what they
wanted to achieve with their system.

Cheers

---