effects of Installing PC 100 DIMMs along with PC133

Old July 23rd 06, 02:20 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
SlickRCBD

Default effects of Installing PC 100 DIMMs along with PC133

I have a secondhand Dell Optiplex GX110 computer that I got from
somebody that was computer illiterate. The only documentation that I got
with it was found in the C:\Dell\doc directory. That said that it
probably used PC100 RAM, but a few models would use PC133. The BIOS
reports that the PROCESSOR has a 133mhz Bus. I just got my hands on some
PC 100 DIMMs and since the manual said it probably used that, I plopped
a 256MB DIMM into the spare slot. The computer has booted fine and I'm
using it to type this post. What are the bad effects that I would expect
to see if the RAM chips are mismatched and how do I figure out if they
are? I couldn't see anything one way or the other if it was PC100 or
PC133 on the other existing DIMM.

I haven't tried any serious tests at this point to try out the new RAM.
Old July 23rd 06, 05:29 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
The little lost angel

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 20:20:48 -0500, SlickRCBD
wrote:

The computer has booted fine and I'm
using it to type this post. What are the bad effects that I would expect
to see if the RAM chips are mismatched and how do I figure out if they
are? I couldn't see anything one way or the other if it was PC100 or
PC133 on the other existing DIMM.

Theoretically, they should work fine together, but it's a Dell so
expect the worst :P Check where you placed the PC100 DIMM, they should
be in the first slot so that the BIOS take the settings from the
slower ram instead of the faster PC133, if any.

If you can find and post the numbers on the chips on the other DIMMs,
google or somebody here should be able to find out if it's PC100 or
PC133.
I haven't tried any serious tests at this point to try out the new RAM.

Try downloading Prime95 or OCCT tools to test out the system. You
might be able to use CPUID/CPU-Z to get more information about the
DIMM, although I'm not sure if it works with something that far back.

--
A Lost Angel, fallen from heaven
Lost in dreams, Lost in aspirations,