DVD Burner Replacement - Brand?

Old April 29th 09, 05:10 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

Default DVD Burner Replacement - Brand?

On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 09:53:35 -0500, Joel
wrote:

Yes, I have read some newer LightScribe burner can burn the label directly
to the DVD too. The only problem that it doesn't do color and it's way too
slow for my taste.

.... and it puts a lot more wear on the burner, but at least
burners are cheap these days.

Or I have burned and printed more/less 10,000 CDs/DVDs, and without color
it would be heck of time to find the right DVD out of thousands of DVDs, and
it takes so many hours to print them.

So, if I don't use Inkjet Printable DVD then probably Thermal instead of
Lightscribe.

One problem with either labeling method is quick
identification in a storage rack. I find it more convenient
to just use a paper cutter to pre-cut a stack of inserts for
cases, then print the disc ID on an insert. If you use the
thick rather than thin cases it will allow the text on the
end to be visible though the thick do take up more rack
space.

Old April 29th 09, 08:42 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Steve

"Ron" wrote in message
On Apr 28, 1:35 pm, "Steve" wrote:
"Ron" wrote in message

I need to replace my (IDE) CD / DVD burner.

I currently have a LITEON 18X model number LH -18A1P186C. It is only 2
yrs old and has about 200 burns on it. I paid $50.00 for this damn
thing that has already stopped working. (will do everything but burn)

So, I'm looking to buy a new one from Newegg, question is which brand
is better, between Sony, LG and Samsung?

I plan on staying below the $25.00 price range so this is the page I'm
looking at.http://tinyurl.com/dmltbr

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Ron

Ignore most reviews of CD/DVD burners as usually they just rate the
fastest
as the best and yet the most important thing is the quality of the burn
which most reviews never mention. Burn quality depends mainly on choosing
firstly good media but also on selecting a burner that uses that media
optimally. After dissecting numerous quality scans over on the CDFreaks
site, I settled on a Sony NEC Optiarc AD-7200S as a great all-rounder.
It's
a very good CD & DVD reader as well. I have 2 of them, a friend has 2 and
no problems so far in about 5 months. There's hacked firmware around too
that let you do bitsetting and multi-region code stuff, the drive has no
riplock to slow down movie DVD backups either.

It has a NEC chipset and NEC hardware, not all Optiarc models have, some
have Lite-On bits inside. Other manufacturers also don't always use their
own make components, so a bit of research helps there if you're set on a
particular make.

I went with this

Thanks for the input.

That's a rebadged LiteOn with Media Tek chipset.

Old May 5th 09, 12:56 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Ron

On Apr 27, 11:32*pm, Ron wrote:
I need to replace my (IDE) CD / DVD burner.

I currently have a LITEON 18X model number LH -18A1P186C. It is only 2
yrs old and has about 200 burns on it. I paid $50.00 for this damn
thing that has already stopped working. *(will do everything but burn)

So, I'm looking to buy a new one from Newegg, question is which brand
is better, between Sony, LG and Samsung?

I plan on staying below the $25.00 price range so this is the page I'm
looking at.http://tinyurl.com/dmltbr

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Ron

Alright, as mentioned in this thread I bought a Sony AD-7220A from
newegg.

Every disc that I made with my Lite-On using Maxell DVD+RW would /
will play on both of my DVD players. A Mitsubishi DD-4030 (2003) and a
Pioneer DV-440 (2001).

Using the same media (Maxell DVD+RW) nothing that I've burned with the
Sony will play on either player. I get pixelation and video freezes.

I even pulled out a brand new cheapo Magnavox DVD player DP100MW8B
that someone gave me and they won't play on there either, however,
discs made with the Lite-On play perfectly on it.

In my garage I'm using and old 20" Toshiba TV along with a Panansonic
VHS / DVD combo. The tuner went out on the Toshiba and the VCR stopped
working on the Panasonic. So I paired the two up for garage use
instead of junking them.

The discs made with my new Sony, using the Maxell media play fine on
that DVD player.

What is the deal here?

Obviously the Sony will not fit my needs. So I'm going to return it to
newegg. Should I just go ahead and buy another Lite-On, even though it
was mentioned here and in the review threads at Newegg that the Sony
was a repackaged Lite-On?