Program to stream .vob ?

Old June 28th 17, 12:53 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
pheasant16

Default Program to stream .vob ?

Have been away from video for about 3 years. Was going to watch an old
movie I'd ripped to the hd with a program called PlayOn. It sees the
title, but no longer will play it. Will play .mp4 just fine. Their
tech support tells me to remove all media and add back 1 title at a time
to maybe find a bad file. Nah. Wanted to watch a movie, not waste the
summer in front of the computer and tv.

Looked at Plex which states it won't do .vob.

Tried using VLC with an old WDTV box, but movement was jerky and audio
wasn't sync'd.

Any other media streaming programs that I could try?

Thanks
Old June 28th 17, 01:07 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mr. Man-wai Chang

On 28/6/2017 7:53 PM, pheasant16 wrote:
... but no longer will play it. Will play .mp4 just fine. Their
tech support tells me to remove all media and add back 1 title at a time
to maybe find a bad file. Nah. Wanted to watch a movie, not waste the
summer in front of the computer and tv.

Looked at Plex which states it won't do .vob.

Tried using VLC with an old WDTV box, but movement was jerky and audio
wasn't sync'd.

Any other media streaming programs that I could try?

Try LAV Filters (codec) and MPC Home Cinema (player) to see if
additional decoding was needed?

Are you absolutely sure it's just a MP4 file with file extension "VOB"??

/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty!
^ ^ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.39.3
Old June 28th 17, 01:14 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
SC Tom

"pheasant16" wrote in message
news
Have been away from video for about 3 years. Was going to watch an old
movie I'd ripped to the hd with a program called PlayOn. It sees the
title, but no longer will play it. Will play .mp4 just fine. Their tech
support tells me to remove all media and add back 1 title at a time to
maybe find a bad file. Nah. Wanted to watch a movie, not waste the
summer in front of the computer and tv.

Looked at Plex which states it won't do .vob.

Tried using VLC with an old WDTV box, but movement was jerky and audio
wasn't sync'd.

Any other media streaming programs that I could try?

Thanks

I don't have any .VOB files to test it, but under my Default Programs
(Windows 10 Home), it lists CyberLink PowerDVD12 as the program that would
open it.
--

SC Tom

Old June 28th 17, 01:21 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mr. Man-wai Chang

On 28/6/2017 8:14 PM, SC Tom wrote:
I don't have any .VOB files to test it, but under my Default Programs
(Windows 10 Home), it lists CyberLink PowerDVD12 as the program that
would open it.

PowerDVD is not exactly a free software nor freeware. It's usually
bundled with CD/DVD/BD burners and readers though.

Old June 28th 17, 01:25 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Wed, 28 Jun 2017 06:53:23 -0500, pheasant16
wrote:

Have been away from video for about 3 years. Was going to watch an old
movie I'd ripped to the hd with a program called PlayOn. It sees the
title, but no longer will play it. Will play .mp4 just fine. Their
tech support tells me to remove all media and add back 1 title at a time
to maybe find a bad file. Nah. Wanted to watch a movie, not waste the
summer in front of the computer and tv.

Looked at Plex which states it won't do .vob.

Tried using VLC with an old WDTV box, but movement was jerky and audio
wasn't sync'd.

Any other media streaming programs that I could try?

Thanks

Most better players include a reasonable allowance for media stream
formats -- and here they a

POT player - DAUM, a Chinese player is most excellent, and should
handle VOB arrangements.

another, my backup player, which I used exclusively to POT prior, is

SMPlayer
Freeware movie player
2017/july update

and SMPLayer also has done a bang-up job by all appearances. Takes a
bit of doing in configuring the hotkeys into a workable ergonomic
setup, but once done and familiar -- they're one couple of badassed
featured players.
Old June 28th 17, 06:04 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

pheasant16 wrote:
Have been away from video for about 3 years. Was going to watch an old
movie I'd ripped to the hd with a program called PlayOn. It sees the
title, but no longer will play it. Will play .mp4 just fine. Their
tech support tells me to remove all media and add back 1 title at a time
to maybe find a bad file. Nah. Wanted to watch a movie, not waste the
summer in front of the computer and tv.

Looked at Plex which states it won't do .vob.

Tried using VLC with an old WDTV box, but movement was jerky and audio
wasn't sync'd.

Any other media streaming programs that I could try?

Thanks

So the output of PlayOn is MP4. With a watermarked
lead-in/lead-out.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Piracy/comm..._from_netflix/

VOB is something that comes off a home-made DVD. With
commercial content, you might need DeCSS to decrypt one.
The VOB samples I have here are plaintext, because I made
them. I don't have even one commercial DVD to use as a
sample for experiments...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vob

"a VOB file can contain

H.262/MPEG-2 Part 2
MPEG-1 Part 2 video

MPEG-1 Audio Layer II
MPEG-2 Audio Layer II
"

and that's not the same thing as MP4.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG-4_Part_14

"MP4 is a digital multimedia container format"

*******

Questions:

1) What formats does WDTV understand ?
2) Of the items in (1), which does it play *smoothly*.
3) Is the PlayOn content intended to be re-purposed ?
Does it only play inside PlayOn, or can it
be taken outside.

For successful streaming:

Destination device capability (smoothest playback) ?

Network bottlenecks ? Compressed format required ? Wifi ?
Does destination have its own hard drive ? Can streaming
be avoided entirely, by means of local playback ? (Plug
USB key into back of TV set.)

Source format, source transcode capability, DLNA compliance ?
Can the streaming server make a format for the video
that the WDTV will like ?

To do it right requires work. Mixing "dumb" combinations
of stuff, results in "unhappy viewer" :-)

And it's always been like this with video.
There was never a "good era" for video.

For example, you can't transcode to Cinepak on the fly, because
the algorithm is single-threaded, and runs slow as molasses on
modern large X x Y dimensions. The codec was invented in the
160x120 and 320x240 era. And it has to work a lot harder,
when doing 1920x1080. There are other formats that transcode
faster. There are some CPUs and video cards, with accelerators
for commercial video formats, that can help a bit during
transcode. Old hardware won't have that. Apparently some
modern software, even ignores IDCT on the video card,
even though it could give a 5-10% boost. Modern software
wants to use the whizzy accelerators (which I don't have here).
I "never seem to own anything nice" here :-)

Paul
Old June 28th 17, 09:19 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Larc[_3_]

On Wed, 28 Jun 2017 08:25:10 -0400, Flasherly wrote:

| On Wed, 28 Jun 2017 06:53:23 -0500, pheasant16
| wrote:
|
| Have been away from video for about 3 years. Was going to watch an old
| movie I'd ripped to the hd with a program called PlayOn. It sees the
| title, but no longer will play it. Will play .mp4 just fine. Their
| tech support tells me to remove all media and add back 1 title at a time
| to maybe find a bad file. Nah. Wanted to watch a movie, not waste the
| summer in front of the computer and tv.
|
| Looked at Plex which states it won't do .vob.
|
| Tried using VLC with an old WDTV box, but movement was jerky and audio
| wasn't sync'd.
|
| Any other media streaming programs that I could try?
|
| Thanks
|
| Most better players include a reasonable allowance for media stream
| formats -- and here they a
|
| POT player - DAUM, a Chinese player is most excellent, and should
| handle VOB arrangements.

I was going to recommend the same thing. Potplayer will definitely stream .VOB
files. 32 and 64 bit versions available. Free! Beats VLC hands down, IMO.

https://potplayer.daum.net/

Larc
Old June 28th 17, 10:04 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Wed, 28 Jun 2017 16:19:34 -0400, Larc
wrote:

I was going to recommend the same thing. Potplayer will definitely stream .VOB
files. 32 and 64 bit versions available. Free! Beats VLC hands down, IMO.

https://potplayer.daum.net/

Larc

Give SMPlayer a shot if you haven't. It has a nice software-driven
GAMMA adjustment in the video EQ section. Perhaps the better render
of the two, although klunkier IMO defining/reassigning hotkeys in
preferences. (Also may error out when first started -- a related
error that's easy to find in preferences and, once
selected/deselected, a program restart and it's fixed.)

I'm back to running D-Sub (15pin VGA) after using an 15-pin adapter to
DVI-D, the last which I like somewhat better, except for the adapter
is a pain. Seems overall there's a more natural contrast to DVI-D,
blacks and saturation less easily affected by a tendency for
overwhelming white wash-outs. Also have an HDMI cable on the way,
shipping in. My first time up with HDMI to see how that turns out.
Old June 29th 17, 12:26 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
pheasant16

Larc wrote:
On Wed, 28 Jun 2017 08:25:10 -0400, Flasherly wrote:

| On Wed, 28 Jun 2017 06:53:23 -0500, pheasant16
| wrote:
|
| Have been away from video for about 3 years. Was going to watch an old
| movie I'd ripped to the hd with a program called PlayOn. It sees the
| title, but no longer will play it. Will play .mp4 just fine. Their
| tech support tells me to remove all media and add back 1 title at a time
| to maybe find a bad file. Nah. Wanted to watch a movie, not waste the
| summer in front of the computer and tv.
|
| Looked at Plex which states it won't do .vob.
|
| Tried using VLC with an old WDTV box, but movement was jerky and audio
| wasn't sync'd.
|
| Any other media streaming programs that I could try?
|
| Thanks
|
| Most better players include a reasonable allowance for media stream
| formats -- and here they a
|
| POT player - DAUM, a Chinese player is most excellent, and should
| handle VOB arrangements.

I was going to recommend the same thing. Potplayer will definitely stream .VOB
files. 32 and 64 bit versions available. Free! Beats VLC hands down, IMO.

https://potplayer.daum.net/

Larc

Thanks for the advice.

Just to be su I want to stream this to the Roku box. I can watch
..vob on the computer now, just want to send it to the tv. Is there a
channel I need to add to Roku once I install the POTplayer?
Old June 29th 17, 02:53 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

pheasant16 wrote:

Thanks for the advice.

Just to be su I want to stream this to the Roku box. I can watch
.vob on the computer now, just want to send it to the tv. Is there a
channel I need to add to Roku once I install the POTplayer?

https://web.archive.org/web/20150602...annel-support-

"What media file types does the
Roku Media Player channel support?

The Roku Media Player channel enables you to play back
personal video, music and photo files from a DLNA server
on your local network (or a USB drive attached to a
USB equipped Roku).

Video MKV (H.264) --- Container (Codec inside container)
MP4 (H.264)
MOV (H.264),
WMV (VC-1, firmware 3.1 only)

Music AAC
MP3
WMA
FLAC (firmware 5.3 and later),
WAV (firmware 5.3 and later)

Photo JPG, PNG, GIF (non-animated)
"

This allows your Windows PC to stream content to the Roku.
Since Windows has a DLNA compliant server. What the
Windows box is going to lack, is flavorful transcoding.
Windows has its own ecosystem, and to avoid licensing
fees associated with certain codecs, it cannot transcode
stuff from outside its own ecosystem. To Bill Gates
"all what you need is WMV", which of course is not true.

https://www.howtogeek.com/215400/how...-media-server/

The VOB file is MPEG2.

The container type isn't too important, but there
is a need to convert the VOB file to H.264 codec.

There are third party streaming servers you could use
without the Windows one enabled. Serviio might be
an example. Some of those will do the transcode
for you. But, you need horsepower to do that. And
you don't really want to transcode in real time,
unless the transcoder is "faster than real time"
while using 100% of a CPU core say. Transcoding
before the fact, and storing movie.mkv on the PC,
will allow streaming to occur as just a network
delivery issue, and not a compute issue on the source
end.

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/art...nscoding-Media

"Mobile devices are still in their infancy and are
not nearly as powerful or flexible as a desktop PC.

They have special requirements when it comes to
playing back media. Ideally, the media should be sent in:

* The ideal resolution
* The right media encoding (H.264, etc.)
* A compatible file container

The Server acts as a Universal Translator.
"

So that's the transcoding concept. If you provide
the file as movie.mk4 (H.264 codec) then Plex would
not need to transcode.

*******

In addition to "pulling" content from the PC, you
can "cast" to the Roku. Which is "pushing" from
a computing device. Maybe an Android device could
"cast" to it. I'm only mentioning this possibility
for the sake of completeness, since casting can have
its own set of problems. And you always want to work
on problems, ones you can comprehend.

https://www.howtogeek.com/214785/how...-on-your-roku/

Paul

Program Amal express2u, program yg semakin hangat dan hebat faizal Printers 0 November 12th 08 01:58 AM
ATI's Radeon TV-Out program Worst than nVIDIA TV-Out Program Red Cloud Ati Videocards 0 November 5th 07 06:15 AM
live web stream Adam[_2_] Webcams 4 April 18th 07 01:59 AM
Digital zoom / show part of stream program? n03l Webcams 1 November 14th 06 08:57 PM
"Out Of Memory error when trying to start a program or while program is running" Dharmarajan.K General Hardware 0 June 11th 04 10:42 PM