Cheaper Windows 7 yet?

Old August 13th 13, 09:27 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Laurence[_3_]

Default Cheaper Windows 7 yet?

Now that Win8 seems to be established, can we expect to see some cheaper W7s
available for home builders?

Know of any?

Still running XP on all desktops, but recent laptop acquisition came with
7 - I like it, but prohibitively expensive to buy for my desktops.
Anyone?

Old August 13th 13, 10:11 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Laurence wrote:
Now that Win8 seems to be established, can we expect to see some cheaper
W7s available for home builders?

Know of any?

Still running XP on all desktops, but recent laptop acquisition came
with 7 - I like it, but prohibitively expensive to buy for my desktops.
Anyone?

Not going to happen.

And you're a prime example of why. WinXP user, nearing
end of support (Apr.2014), looking for replacement OS,
and seeking Windows 7 rather than Windows 8 (or 8.1).
People like yourself, will create "demand" for the
Windows 7 disc, and with "demand", comes a high price,
not a low price.

Paul
Old August 13th 13, 04:21 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe

Paul nospam needed.com wrote:

Laurence wrote:

Now that Win8 seems to be established, can we expect to see
some cheaper W7s available for home builders?

Know of any?

Still running XP on all desktops, but recent laptop acquisition
came with 7 - I like it, but prohibitively expensive to buy for
my desktops. Anyone?

Not going to happen.

True. But if you know what you're doing, you might be able to find
some reasonably priced copies on fleabay. Windows 8.0 might be
found for 40 to 45 dollars.

And you're a prime example of why. WinXP user, nearing
end of support (Apr.2014), looking for replacement OS,
and seeking Windows 7 rather than Windows 8 (or 8.1).
People like yourself, will create "demand" for the
Windows 7 disc, and with "demand", comes a high price,
not a low price.

Using reason and logic doesn't work when dealing with Microsoft.
Microsoft holds monopoly power over desktop software. Supply and
demand doesn't work when dealing with monopoly power. You're right
in your answer that it won't be cheaper. But the reason it won't
be cheaper is because Microsoft controls pricing and coerces
people into using the latest and greatest Windows. And the reason
it does that is so that more people will use Microsoft's latest
monopoly protecting innovations. Microsoft wants you to follow its
lead, and it controls prices.
Old August 13th 13, 08:38 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Robin Bignall

On Tue, 13 Aug 2013 05:11:23 -0400, Paul wrote:

Laurence wrote:
Now that Win8 seems to be established, can we expect to see some cheaper
W7s available for home builders?

Know of any?

Still running XP on all desktops, but recent laptop acquisition came
with 7 - I like it, but prohibitively expensive to buy for my desktops.
Anyone?

Not going to happen.

And you're a prime example of why. WinXP user, nearing
end of support (Apr.2014), looking for replacement OS,
and seeking Windows 7 rather than Windows 8 (or 8.1).
People like yourself, will create "demand" for the
Windows 7 disc, and with "demand", comes a high price,
not a low price.

Dead right. I just bought a last-year's model laptop for the ground
floor to save myself climbing 2 flights to get to my desktop. I
deliberately chose a Samsung series 3 because it came with Win7 Pro
rather than Win8.
--
Robin Bignall
Herts, England
Old August 16th 13, 10:48 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Laurence[_3_]

"Paul" wrote in message ...

Laurence wrote:
Now that Win8 seems to be established, can we expect to see some cheaper
W7s available for home builders?

Know of any?

Still running XP on all desktops, but recent laptop acquisition came with
7 - I like it, but prohibitively expensive to buy for my desktops.
Anyone?

Not going to happen.

And you're a prime example of why. WinXP user, nearing
end of support (Apr.2014), looking for replacement OS,
and seeking Windows 7 rather than Windows 8 (or 8.1).
People like yourself, will create "demand" for the
Windows 7 disc, and with "demand", comes a high price,
not a low price.

Paul

Thats funny - "end of support for XP" never even occurred to me - never ever
thought of looking to microsoft for support with windows, newsgroups are
much more knowledgeable.
All M$ do it chuck loads of files to gum up my hdd to fix problems that
should not have been there in the first place.
If any other software product needed that many patches or fixes the
publisher would be lambasted for sheer incompetence!
Perhaps they can't afford to employ competent staff - hardly! Must be that
no-one with any ability or self respect will work for them

Old August 16th 13, 12:31 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Laurence wrote:

Thats funny - "end of support for XP" never even occurred to me - never
ever thought of looking to microsoft for support with windows,
newsgroups are much more knowledgeable.
All M$ do it chuck loads of files to gum up my hdd to fix problems that
should not have been there in the first place.
If any other software product needed that many patches or fixes the
publisher would be lambasted for sheer incompetence!
Perhaps they can't afford to employ competent staff - hardly! Must be
that no-one with any ability or self respect will work for them

I guess I didn't explain that in enough detail

End of support means two things.

1) Passive response. Microsoft stops issuing security updates.
A person could "survive" without that.

2) Active response. Microsoft, on purpose, introduces new
software technologies. For example, there is a possibility
they will invent something to replace .NET. Software will
go on sale, and, it won't run on WinXP, because the new
library technology (whatever it turns out to be), won't be
available for WinXP.

My copy of Win2K, I stopped using it because of (2). It was
a perfectly good OS. But, when I wanted to test any 3D game
demos, little bugs would show up, put there on purpose by
Microsoft. They'd introduce changes to DirectX, make DirectX
check for WinXP, and deny operation on Win2K.

It's the "wedge" from (2), that pushes people away from
their OSes. When you see things announced, want to use your
old OS to try them, and they don't work (sabotaged on purpose).

So yes, you don't need any help from Microsoft (in terms of
those security updates). But, it'll be the evil things they
do behind the scenes, that will help get you to "move on".

Paul
Old August 16th 13, 02:02 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe

Paul wrote:

Laurence wrote:

Thats funny - "end of support for XP" never even occurred to me
- never ever thought of looking to microsoft for support with
windows, newsgroups are much more knowledgeable.

End of support means two things.

1) Passive response. Microsoft stops issuing security updates.
A person could "survive" without that.

2) Active response. Microsoft, on purpose, introduces new
software technologies...

So yes, you don't need any help from Microsoft (in terms of
those security updates). But, it'll be the evil things they
do behind the scenes, that will help get you to "move on".

Yeah, that's why. The OS (XP) started failing here in various
little ways. Windows 8 is ugly in my setup and there are lots of
little bugs, but it works because it handles all of the new
technologies better. I needed an upgrade to the basic OS
functionallity.
Old August 16th 13, 02:31 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Fri, 16 Aug 2013 10:48:47 +0100, "Laurence"
wrote:

All M$ do it chuck loads of files to gum up my hdd to fix problems that
should not have been there in the first place.

Given a wide enough platform of program resources, within what's being
attempted, none of that is of course necessary when provided
acceptable alternatives.

What hurts, though, and eventually will kill XP, is hardware and links
to the OS. When something desired is newly manufactured, say a
peripheral USB device for processing audio streaming, and that
manufacturer's inhouse program staff doesn't write a supportive
layering to include the XP interface, the options narrow into at least
running such as dual-boot, with something more advanced than XP in
order to effect the purchase.

It's no more than the mean status quo, which in marketing terms will
come to be factored for what a given market will bear, over the
incentive to produce products, well within a post-XP market, at a
breakover point of foreseeable profit margins XP may, more or less,
exert to distract in equating worth for valid viability when the
decision is made in effect for having chosen not to write in the XP
support drivers.
Old August 16th 13, 02:55 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Laurence[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

But was it DOS 5.1 or 6.22 that was as good as ever we needed.
Because it had to compete with DRDos? - no competition now = fat & lazy
spend the money on marketing and legal department

Old August 16th 13, 04:28 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Fri, 16 Aug 2013 14:55:53 +0100, "Laurence"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

I'm still running 4DOS (4NT) within a parsed-out XP CMD extension for
Norton Commander to come up on. Vaguely works for an occasional jolt
into blasts from the past, aliases and environmental variables
withstanding. The fat&lazy GUI was unquestionably more intuitive than
the command line, that, and a valid need to fulfill technology-driven
advancements to reap roughly a present 4Ghz core. Stalled. Yea --
besides, there's the know-how behind it all, not a small feat, nor
ought that be surprising as a major impediment to the 'I want it Now'
generation;- hohum, along with playing games for the copyright
freaks practising monopolistic hegemony;- so, what we have here is a
big, bad drag, apparently -- just time to freshen up the scene with
computer literacy devolving into an offset of corporate dominance from
marketing handheld devices of conjoined dependencies on distributed
resources and subscription leased contracts. Capitalism, mind, is a
juggernaut with idealistic materialism that greases its tracks;-
Whereas serving a benevolent purpose is of an antithetical nature to
driving continued and sustained profits for the purpose of profit. Any
philanthropic misgivings you may have regarding DRDos, dear fellow, is
simply antidotal to planned obsolescence.