3TB drive access from XP over a network

Old April 23rd 09, 11:59 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
[email protected]

Default 3TB drive access from XP over a network

I had added a 3TB RAID, NTFS to my Vista Buisness , SP1(32) system. I
have set the attributes to share in the same way I have on a 500GB
drive in the Vista machine.

My problem is that I would like to access the drive from XP systems
over my network. I can do this with the 500GB drive, but although I
can see the Raid, I always get 'Acces is denied'

Is it possible to access a drive 2TB over an XP network, or do I a
permissions problem.

Michael
Old April 24th 09, 04:27 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
[email protected]

On Apr 24, 12:47*pm, Yousuf Khan wrote:
wrote:
More than 2TB as a directly attached drive in XP is a problem. *ie
there is a 2TB limit as this is where the sector count reaches 4G.

My question is if the same limit applies to a network drive? *Access
is on a file basis, and not a sector basis

There is still a sector basis even over the network. It's not
necessarily directly related to the physical sectors, but it is a
virtual sector that gets translated to physical sectors locally.

* * * * Yousuf Khan

Thanks, so you saying I cannot access a RAID greater than 2TB from
XP32, either locally, or via a network. I suppose this may force me
to consider Windows 7 sooner rather later.

Michael
Old April 24th 09, 11:39 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
[email protected]

On Apr 24, 10:58*pm, Yousuf Khan wrote:
wrote:
Thanks, so you saying I cannot access a RAID greater than 2TB from
XP32, either locally, or via a network. *I suppose this may force me
to consider Windows 7 sooner rather later.

That would seem to be the case, but has this been fixed in Windows 7?

* *Yousuf Khan

I am assuming (which may be wrong) that as Vista (32 bit) works with a
RAID 2TB, it will work over a network as well. I only have one
Vista machine, so I can not test this theory. My logic is that if
Vista works, then Windows 7 will.

Michael
Old April 25th 09, 03:17 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
[email protected]

wrote:
More than 2TB as a directly attached drive in XP is a problem. *ie
there is a 2TB limit as this is where the sector count reaches 4G.

My question is if the same limit applies to a network drive? *Access
is on a file basis, and not a sector basis

There is still a sector basis even over the network. It's not
necessarily directly related to the physical sectors, but it is a
virtual sector that gets translated to physical sectors locally.

* * * * Yousuf Khan

My knowledge of networks is limited but I find it hard to think that a
PC on one of the networks has to know the file system of the device
the data is being saved on. I find it even harder to believe that a
remote PC has to know where FAT or MFTs are saved on the remove
device. This would also lead to two controllers changing the basic
file system. VERY VERY DANGEROUS. Surely the control is via the PC
connected to the remote drive. Thus, there is no need for a remote
device to access any physical or virtual sector of the remote storage.

Have I mis-understood something? It would still be nice to connect XP
to a remotely controlled 3TB drive.

Michael
Old April 25th 09, 07:33 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

wrote:
More than 2TB as a directly attached drive in XP is a problem. ie
there is a 2TB limit as this is where the sector count reaches 4G.

My question is if the same limit applies to a network drive? Access
is on a file basis, and not a sector basis

There is still a sector basis even over the network. It's not
necessarily directly related to the physical sectors, but it is a
virtual sector that gets translated to physical sectors locally.

Yousuf Khan

My knowledge of networks is limited but I find it hard to think that a
PC on one of the networks has to know the file system of the device
the data is being saved on.

Yeah, it certainly doesnt. Thats why you can have linux file servers on the lan etc.

I find it even harder to believe that a remote PC has to
know where FAT or MFTs are saved on the remove device.
This would also lead to two controllers changing the basic
file system. VERY VERY DANGEROUS.

Yep.

Surely the control is via the PC connected to the remote drive.

Yep.

Thus, there is no need for a remote device to access
any physical or virtual sector of the remote storage.

Yep.

Have I mis-understood something?

Nope.

It would still be nice to connect XP to a remotely controlled 3TB drive.

It'll work fine if the OS running on the system that has the 3TB drive on it physically can handle that drive.

Old April 25th 09, 11:52 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Eric Gisin

Win XP 32 only supports 2TB drives because 32 bit LBA is used by the disk class driver.
Win XP 64 and 2003 support 64 bit LBA with some service pack or hot fix.

If your RAID card supports drives over 2TB on XP, that's because it replaces the disk class driver.
The default drivers for a disk drive are disk.sys and partmgr.sys on XP.